Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

To me, it sounds like Paul had a melody and a lyric, knew he was short one syllable, and just inserted "type" / "style" / "kind" / whatever. Perhaps he had a moment of doubt, but then he told himself the "Hey Jude" story again, and decided it was fine.

2. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Hey Sean, just out of curiousity, are you talking about the original UK remaster series or a US capitol cd? I can't remember years...
    I always thought the US Capitol was a good sounding cd, the UK not as much but still had to have for the bonus tracks. However, when I got a hold of the original CBS cd, I couldn't believe how much better it sounded than both then the UK and Capitol. For me, It wasn't even close.
    So, the reason I ask is have you ever heard the CBS version, and what are your thoughts on that version versus the new PoP.
    Thanks

3. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

So far as bang for the buck goes, I have appreciated the fact that the 2CDs, with only a couple exceptions, contain all the music on the Deluxe sets: so, if music is your thing, you can actually get - affordably! - all the music on offer for $15 or whatever and you can pass on the pricier deluxe edition.

sallymae_hogsby and Sean Murdock like this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

AWESOME!!!
    ALTERED IMAGES BEATS 'Babs'!!!!.......... AND,
    look how high "Big Science" by Laurie Anderson is!!

LOVE IT!!!

theMess and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. Sean Murdock

I've never heard the original Columbia CD; I only have the original vinyl and the 1993 "McCartney Collection" remaster CD. The iTunes download of the remastered "Pipes Of Peace" sounds almost identical to my 320 kbps rip of the 1993 CD. But that's also through my computer's speakers, so once heard through a proper stereo, who knows? But the differences between the two versions of "Tug Of War" were immediately apparent, also through my computer speakers. So take it for what it's worth.

jricc likes this.
  6. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident

Thanks very much! :)

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

daveidmarx, theMess and Bobby Morrow like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

'Bite' was better than 'Pinky Blue'.:)

Wonder if 'Shape Up & Dance Volume 2' by Angela Rippon is available on CD?!

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Haven't a clue, but someone on here probably will.:)

10. vince

OH!....THAT'S debatable!!!
    :winkgrin:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident

To be honest it is a bit of an assumption, but can anyone really imagine Paul dumping the 1993 version on here, or the mastering from the earliest CD pressings?

Everything else on all the other archive releases has been remastered, so why wouldn't the 'original mix' of Tug of War be? The fact that they've created a remix is almost entirely irrelevant in terms of this specific point.

mindgames, Jerry Horne and OobuJoobu like this.
  12. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Thanks. Really good to hear about ToW

13. Sean Murdock

First of all, with all the oh-so-clever "facepalm" photos out there, you could have picked a better one. Secondly, I'm not misrepresenting anything -- there have been several posts complaining about how much blank space is left on the bonus CDs, and how in some cases even the ENTIRE bonus CD could fit on the album disc and not even fill it. People have been bitching here about the length of the bonus CDs, with the implication that the entire disc is a waste if it's not filled up. So I'm not assuming anything, I'm responding to what people have actually said in this thread.

As for my claim that I will throw an "internet tantrum" if the 45 mix of "It's Not True" is left off the Press To Play box, I added that for a couple of reasons. First, long-time posters here have probably seen me reference that mix dozens of times over the years, and a handful of people will recognize another reference as almost a running joke. Second, I wanted to show that I'm not immune to these kind of frustrations myself -- considering I had already been accused of thinking I was better than everyone and that their concerns were less important than mine. And finally, the truth is, I probably WON'T throw an internet tantrum if that track is left off the PTP reissue -- I'll be terribly disappointed for awhile, I'll shake my fist at the sky and curse the gods for the injustice, and then .... I'll just go on with my life and somehow make do with the needledrop of the track that I lovingly de-clicked years ago.

You see, when I say that "life's too short" for this petty complaining and bickering, I actually mean it. It's not a front, and I'm not trying to elevate myself above the people who are outraged over this stuff. It's just not where I'm coming from. Sorry if that makes some people even angrier that there are other super-fans out there who just aren't that bothered by this, but that's just the way I feel.

14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Thanks. It really does look like it's a "we'll have to wait and see" answer. It will be interesting to see what reaction there is if it turns out not to be remastered and it's the 1993 version!

15. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I used to have the Columbia CD, but after listening to it one day I had left it on the living room carpet in it's case and my cat came by a took a piss on it. She had been in the room while it was playing, so she was obviously showing her appreciation of the album. I also have the '93, but only play it in the car or when she's outside.

theMess, supermd and Skywheel like this.
  16. vince

All this Columbia CD talk made me go and check......
    YUP!... I still have my "TOW" & "POP" on Columbia.... i even have the 'longbox' for"POP"!!

Frank, Rocco and jricc like this.
  17. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident

Yes, and i told you privately about another unreleased track called " glenn on the run ( spanking version ). Please, keep it this info just for you. Your etcetera

daveidmarx, theMess, supermd and 3 others like this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Uh oh - the brief clips of the remixed Tug of War sound odd to me. The snippet of "Here Today" has cellos and acoustic guitars mixed way up front altering the reflective "feel" of the track. I haven't read this thread - are there full tracks available yet?

Rocco likes this.
  19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

THAT track should be, um..interesting also. :D

theMess and etcetera like this.
  20. Cat Critics are the worst :tiphat:

21. Sean Murdock

You can purchase the remastered "Tug Of War" (the song) at iTunes and (presumably) other digital stores. To me, the remix sounds very faithful to the original, with the vocals just a bit more up-front and natural sounding. I thought the "Here Today" clip in the video sounded really good.

theMess likes this.
  22. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Correct. Other "difference" that I (thnk) noticed is on the low notes, bass a tad upfront, as well as the percussion tracks.

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It might be my natural dislike of remixes of classic material. It won't be a fair test until I listen to the finished product on a real system.

24. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

So my treasured needledrop doesn't suit you, eh Sean?? I'm crestfallen my friend:cry: Ron

theMess likes this.
  25. Nerktwin

Nerktwin Forum Resident

I know this is neither here nor there but want to point out that the books that come with these deluxe sets are extremely expensive to produce. 4-color highly illustrated books like this, printed in limited quantities, generally cost a fortune to make so I'm always astounded, even music aside, that these box sets are really fairly priced in my opinion. I won't debate the merits of the "super" deluxe pricing but am generally happy at the overall cost of the archive collection, relative to what I assume it costs to create.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.