Van Halen reissues 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

My local Barnes and Noble has the remastered Women and Children for 25 bucks.Should I pull the trigger being that is my fave VH album?I already have a nice sounding cd.

2. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

None of these current remasters are anything special IMO. There are in fact some tape drop outs that are not audible on previous masterings.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. I have it. But in this case I was specifically referencing the 2015 CD re-issue, which I hear as the best of the three VHII CD issues that I've heard. Drum sound is just spectacular on this one.

4. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

Ah, I see. Cool. Was also gonna skip the CD remasters, but maybe I'll check this one out.

5. I could faintly detect the drop outs on 'Secrets' on my old Canadian vinyl pressing.

Rockos likes this.
  6. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Just to be clear - when you say remaster, do you mean the CD or the LP?

7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Dude. It can't hurt to contact the Dr. Rhino email address about that Sabbath album. Explain the situation to them. They may just ask for digital pics of the album and label for proof you have it, and ship you a new copy. They don't even ask for the old one back.

8. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Really? Interesting. What year is that lp pressed?

9. Not sure. I posted the cat. # up thread.

Rockos likes this.
  10. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

I believe they are completely different remasterings but I can't comment on the sonic differences.

11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Really?! That's odd, huh?

Looking at my Pono player, the info says: 192.0 kHz, 24 bit (Song name) (2015 Remastered Version) Album The Collection; Artist Van Halen; Album Artist Van Halen; Year 1978 - I'm listening to Van Halen I right now.

12. rburly

Here is is on YouTube:

Edit: This isn't all the albums and 2 live songs from The Collection.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  13. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

I think you are right. They both say Chris Bellman mastered them. Must be same.

14. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Ah, thanks for asking, the Lp

15. rburly

I thought it would be odd to have two separate masterings of the same material in one year. We're fortunate if we get one mastering in 10 years time. Since I bought the whole package earlier this year, I have no need for the individual masterings just released. They sound great to me.

john lennonist likes this.
  16. I assume the lp is early. It's the only one on discogs with the XBS 3677 cat. #. Also, i just listened to the original CD and did not hear the drop outs.

Rockos likes this.
  17. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I just bought the VH II LP based on reports, EVEN THOUGH I RARELY LIKE REISSUES, so I will spin it with as much objectivity against my mint original pressing and report back.

Clanceman and hi_watt like this.
  18. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

OK, I figured. That's disappointing. I have a vintage press of well-used condition that does sound great despite noise. Now I'm back to being very tentative about spending $25 on this. I can't imagine there is much resale value..

hi_watt likes this.
  19. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I was kind of glad it was trade in credit I used for it at the store I frequent, but even with that I won't be listening to the reissue much.

20. Looking forward to the review.

21. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

As I stated before, I began needing FW and DD (like everyone else) only. After @johnny q posted his review, I ordered II and WACF. When I listened to those, I couldn't order 1984 quick enough.

I've AB'd these to death now. Listened to 1984 twice since it arrived Friday. This one follows the same pattern, imo.

I'm convinced that Bellman hit the mark with these. Tubey, analog butter all the way around. DCC vinyl for the debut, and these Bellman vinyl cuts will be my listening room go to copies for good.

johnny q and JasonA like this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just listened to the new vinyl by CB of Fair Warning and I will it is the best version I have ever heard. I have the cds and original vinyl.

Recommended!

Clanceman, violetvinyl and chrischerm like this.
  23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

lol
    I assume your copy of Fair Warning wasn't warped as several others, including myself, have found. Women and Children First and Diver Down are clear improvements over prior versions IMO. II is also quite good. So far I'm pretty disappointed with Fair Warning. It's one of the few warped LPs my Vinyl Flat really hasn't helped with much. I actually prefer my original copy despite the higher surface noise. I probably need to try a different copy of the reissue at some point. Mine doesn't seem to be representative of CB's efforts.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So my opinion is a lol? What exactly is it that you don't like about the reissue besides it being warped.
    Fortunately, and not always the case, my pressing was flat and quiet, not to mention pretty well centered. I will never play my original press again.
    My original sounds muddy by comparison. For me, and on my system CB pretty much nailed it. I could crank it up and listen without fatigue. The instruments sound right with the eq used, IMO.
    I also have the hi-res download which is flat as a pancake, sonically. Perhaps you should try that version if you like dull.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    Clanceman likes this.
  25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

No, I apologize. I have no idea how the LOL got stuck at the beginning of that post. I didn't type that. I was only making the comment that followed. It seems I didn't get as good a copy of Fair Warning as you did. That's all.