Ricki And The Flash. For those who always wanted to see Meryl Streep and Rick Springfield in a movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Kevin W, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin W

Kevin W Well-Known Member Thread Starter

And Meryl playing a rock star

Looks interesting

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Meryl sings Jenny!

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If by "interesting" you mean "awful", I'm right there with you! :laugh:

I like Streep but just can't imagine that flick's gonna be anything other than 12 kinds of terrible...

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sony continues in a long, long string of bombs for 2015...

Huck Caton likes this.
  5. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

I am guessing that compared to this, Mortdecai will seem like The Third Man.

Huck Caton likes this.
  6. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

The only thing refreshing about this might be the screenwriter, Diablo Cody.

7. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

Jonathan Demme, Diablo Cody, Meryl Streep (and Bernie Worrell). It's one of the few human scale films I'm looking forward to this year. Why do you guys think it will be so bad?

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've seen the trailer in theaters with an audience, and when it ended all you could hear was crickets. I'm thinking this should be a double-bill with Tom Cruise's Rock of Ages. :sigh:

Sony Pictures is having a very bad year.

9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It's the casting, like with Cruise in Rock Of Ages. Suspension of disbelief will only get you so far!

10. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Is she channeling Patti Smith or Melissa Etheridge? I'm confused.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Because it looks like one of those awful Nancy Meyers "older folks rom-coms". I still can't get over the fact Demme's the director - it has Meyers written all over it!

driverdrummer and Huck Caton like this.
  12. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Yeah, I here that a sequel is already in the works. It stars Betty White as an aged "granny rocker," who is so tone deaf she can't even tune a guitar, much less sing in tune. It is targeted at a very select demographic -- aged female rockers who are between 82-85 and who are also tone deaf. The theaters guarantees that the volume will be turned up to unbearably high levels to facilitate the audience hearing the dialogue. A free whoopy cushion will be given to the first 6 people in attendance on opening day. You only get to keep the whoopy cushion if you stay through the entire movie.

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's not a rom com, it's about a mother and daughter. I'm sure Demme was interested because of the musical angle.

I don't think the trailer looks that promising either -- "rock star" may be beyond even Meryl's reach, though she's sung in movies before -- but it's typical of the forum to dismiss anything woman-oriented.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    somnar and progrocker71 like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And Depends are sold in the lobby.

Huck Caton likes this.
  15. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I love Meryl and she looks great but I am not a fan of her singing and I definitely don't buy her as a rock star (just singing-wise, not acting-wise).

But that's her real-life daughter playing her daughter in the film, Mamie Gummer.

16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Truth. Unless something is aimed at those swinging a pendulum between their legs it's not worthy.

somnar likes this.
  17. I dunno, I thought Cruise was fine in Rock of Ages. His presence/performance was the least of that movie's problems.

18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I love Jonathan Demme, but except for the very polarizing Rachel Getting Married, he hasn't made a truly memorable film in decades. I love Meryl Streep but she's been wasting her gifts on an endless stream of mediocre films (at least for her lead performances). If someone in 1985 said Meryl Streep was doing a Jonathan Demme movie, I would have loved to see it. In 2015? Not so much.

driverdrummer likes this.
  19. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

When I saw the trailer my thought was "What are they thinking?" I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment further.

20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

21. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Isn't like "Light of Day"?

22. Tone

Tone Senior Member

I look forward to seeing this, it looks fun and Meryl looks light she's having fun.

As much as I like and respect Meryl Streep, I think she is one of the most over-rated actors of our time.

23. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Ricky and the Flash would've been a huge hit in 1981..

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

This movie looks painful through no fault of the talent involved. Will not be seeing.

25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

She's rated so high I think because she has a much wider range than most actors and that's a rare thing.

Jarleboy, somnar and kwadguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.