The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

[QUOTE="bmoregnr, post: 12753411, member: 48215]

On to 3/10/81 Madison Square Garden, initial indications are this will work just fine, vocals a little recessed maybe but not strained; plenty of Phil coming through as well; in fact I would probably point someone unfamiliar with, or averse to, the decade to this show first.

Edit: pretty great Scarlet>Fire on this 3/10/81 and some pretty wild vocal throwing effects going on in it, I don't remember another soundboard doing it as much as this.[/QUOTE]
    Matrix of this show is good, too. That speaker that Jerry blows at the top of the show must have really woke the crowd up.

bmoregnr and warewolf95 like this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Ok, done with DP#14 and the Boston 1973 run. That was a great 3 shows. :)

I realised that I never collected the 1989 shows represented on Without a Net. I downloaded the Philadelphia 1989 and Los Angeles 1989 runs and will be listening to those six shows next.

I don't have to worry about the rest of WAN considering the Spring 1990 sets cover it :)

I'm currently collecting the shows for Reckoning and Dead Set.

It's a good excuse to hear some more 1980.

1979/80/81 is a period I've really been enjoying a lot lately. Lots of great energy. Besides, I can't get enough Sailor>Saints

:)

Crispy Rob and Scopitone like this.
  3. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Happy Birthday, Jerry!

[​IMG]
    This world is not our home
    We're only passing through
    Our trail is all made up
    Way beyond the blue

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Finishing 11/25/73, I had left off at "I Know You Rider" a while ago. It's a Miller Board that makes me wonder why I ever pay for this stuff. :)

Crispy Rob likes this.
  5. warewolf95

Lord Garcia, I never knew your greatness until twice years past.

Please grant me your forgiveness for being ignorant of your existence and greatness.

In the name of the Lord.

Amen.

Silver1973 and brew ziggins like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That's not a speaker Jerry blows, the entire stage left PA stack blew out and shut down. Honest to god we all thought "the show's over!" But then section-by-section the amps fired back up and it came to life. During Fire On The Mountain Jerry gets into some crazed feedback, as if mimicking the momentary loss of the PA stack in the 1st set.

btw- scalpers bought many of the tickets for this show and the night before. A friend and I bought tix in Penn Station, below MSG, for $5 a pop. Lower Loge seats, we were very happy with the seats, and happier still with the show.

nitsuj, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  7. US Blues

The Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Playing In The Band from that show is unspeakably good. The intro to UJB may be the best 3 minutes of Grateful Dead ever performed. If you missed it the first time go back and listen again, the Intro is tracked as part of PITB, the band starts UJB and Jerry just teases the intro with extraordinary dexterity for a few minutes before he drops in.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  8. warewolf95

I definitely recognised the awesomeness of that PITB>UJB>PITB as I was listening. It was heaven! :)

US Blues likes this.
  9. warewolf95

10/18/89 - Philadelphia, PA

Very good show so far with a nice upbeat atmosphere.

The first set has your standard "you can probably skip to the next track" selections, except that Shakedown, Bird Song and TMNNS are all really good versions.

I'm up to a really fun and spritely China>Rider. Really good version. :)

10. US Blues

Vibing on 24 Oct 1972- mp3 from the Taper's Section, it has Truckin' > The Other One > He's Gone > The Other One. Billy is entertaining me after a fine Truckin' coda.

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

that little stash of discs would keep me busy for a few weeks.

12. warewolf95

10/18/89 - Philadelphia, PA

Holy crap, that Terrapin was easily in the top 5 I've heard.

That was amazing!

And I'm not the biggest Terrapin fan, so that's saying something.

Scopitone likes this.
  13. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I had no idea I was in the mood for a mellow Dark Star until I got about 60 second into this one. Then I knew it was exactly what I wanted for a relaxing Saturday night.

Grateful Dead Live at Clark University on 1969-04-20

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  14. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

That you're not well adjusted?:nyah::winkgrin::whistle:

Bananas&blow, warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  15. Scopitone

Ah yes. Watch Jerry start to grin around 4:18 and then spend the rest of the song trying to keep from laughing. I don't know what happened, but whatever it is causes spontaneous smiling from anytime who watches this clip. :)

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes, it's been doing just that right here!

US Blues and Erik B. like this.
  17. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Winding down, late dinner, excellent Gordon Biercsch "Marzen" beer. And these songs:

Bird Song
    Dark Hollow
    I Second that Emotion
    Me and My Uncle

Happy Birthday, again. Your music lights up the darkness like no other.

[​IMG]

18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Well, I swear I was just starting to dive into the Miles At Newport set when it suddenly became time to watch Star Wars with the kiddos as promised and then TV with the wife (binge-watching Wet Hot American Summer prequel on Netflix - almost as good as the movie, one of my all time favorite comedies for anyone who cares), and now it's back to music and it's late Saturday night on Jerry's birthday and Miles can wait until Sunday a.m. Yet I don't have time to wade through a whole show. Verrry long way of saying, Road Trips Vol. 1, No. 2 Oct. '77 compilation is fitting the bill just nicely. Killer Sugaree from Baton Rouge right now. Because these seem like unfortunate shows to break up into a comp, I haven't spent that much time spinning this one, but everything on here is gold.

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Believe me, I would be happier if it looked less like Blitzer and more like Garcia, and if it was an A's rather than Giants promotion, but I'll take what I can get. He and the Coco Crisp chia pet seem to be getting along famously though.

20. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

Fear not, by the time you get to 84 you'll have had more than your fill of Lost Sailor > Saint of Circumstance. Bobby had that pair of songs in heavy roation in the first 1/2 of the '80's.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Road Trips 4 Vol 1 Today Big Rock Pow Wow

Jason Tenney likes this.
  22. Scopitone

Have the Europe 72 soundboards recently reappeared on the Archive? Maybe they've been there all along, but I think not...

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They were there, then they were pulled due to the official releases, and yes, recently they came back.

Also has happened with Fillmore April 1971 and some of the Spring 1990 soundboards.

24. warewolf95

So I hear. :)

On deadlistening.blogspot.com, the guy that runs that site does a really cool podcast series. He did one that was selections, hidden gems, from 81-84 or so, and it was simply awesome. I'm a full show guy through and through, but that definitely was a compilation I'd like to play again.

25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Never heard this upcoming 30 trips show before. The Seamons matrix is really nice. Great opening with the Help>slip

nitsuj, US Blues, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.