CDP upgrade: Marantz SA8005 or Arcam CDS27?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Liquid Len, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'm not. Arcam have always made good stuff and their CD players are no slouches. I've not heard either player, but my experience with the UD7007 was not good. The Arcam should at least be on a par with the 8005.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I think the Yamaha S2000 and S3000 are probably better SACD players than both, though they both cost a bit more and they are two-channel SACD players ...

ls35a likes this.
  3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Aaargghh! Last night I was listening to a cd in my SA8005, Kingdom of Desire by Toto. On the second to last track the music cut out, and it sounded like the laser was skipping around. Eventually the music resumed, then a minute later it happened again! I shut it off and took out the disc. I inspected under a bright light, and the cd looked perfectly fine, no scratches or dust. I played the last 3 tracks in my TEAC pd-h600 and it played perfectly with no skipping! I am starting to get concerned. As I stated earlier, the Marantz would not even read my Grateful Dead American Beauty remaster, while the TEAC also played that disc fine. I imagine these issues are only going to get worse with time. I have only owned this Marantz player 7 months, but am thinking of complaining to the dealer about the issues I'm having.

4. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

This sounds similar to the issues I am having. My player failed to read one disc, and had a stoppage of playback on another. Both discs play fine on my other cd player. Did your player do this with many cd's, or just a couple? I want to have evidence of other people having problems too when I talk to my dealer so I don't get screwed around with!

5. Brother_Rael

Sorry to hear your experience. It's frustrating, especially at the cost of these things. Hope you get it sorted out.

6. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

It is very frustrating. This player is the most expensive piece of gear I ever bought and I do not make a lot of money. I thought based on reputation and being made in Japan that the player would have bulletproof reliability and longevity. I now regret the purchase and hope I can either get a refund or a different player. I have previously owned Cd players from Rotel Onkyo and TEAC and never had any problems like this.

ultron9 and Brother_Rael like this.
  7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

bruce2, you've been complaining about your player since you got it. I've seen the tray and transport up close and personal, sorry I cannot agree that they are cheap. In fact, the build quality of the entire unit is extremely good as is the sound quality. Anyway, it seems you got one with an issue, stuff happens. Judging by others comments, your issue is uncommon. Since it's got a 3 year warranty send it to your authorized Marantz repair facility and let them sort it out. That is, after all, what a warranty is for.

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The transport on my similar Marantz player is like the disc drive of a stealth fighter or something. Not cheap at all.

9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I agree the overall build qaulity and sound is very good and I have been complaining too much over a couple of minor issues. I just expected flawless operation and haven't gotten it. Like you said maybe I just got one with an issue. I would disagree that my issue is that uncommon however as two other users have had the same problems. One of them had the issue with multiple machines and decided to change brands.

10. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

You could check these out............

http://au.denon.com/au/product/HiFiComponents/SACDCDPlayers/DCD1520AE

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=ReferenceSeries&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SA14S1

http://www.teac.com/product/cd-3000/buy_now/

Cheers

11. Brother_Rael

Compared to the likes of the SA7001 from 2006, the build quality is the poorer. It's good but nothing to write home about and lacks that real solidity of build they were famed for.

That loading tray is flimsier too and load time is derisory. Failure to read discs is a more common occurrence with the UD7007 I had and while I get that this is the 8005 we're talking, the problems sound very very close.

bruce2 likes this.
  12. Brother_Rael

You are right to expect that. For a CD/SACD player in 2015? Damn right.

bruce2 likes this.
  13. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thank you. To me $1200 for a Cd player is a lot of money. I keep comparing to my TEAC PD-H600 which was $500 cheaper. Now that transport and tray are rock solid and operation is more silent. Never had any reading or skipping issues. I would give the 8005 a slight edge in sound quality but not by much. Better fuller bass and a smoother sound. The TEAC seems a little more bright and detailed but is still highly musical and enjoyable. I enjoy both players. For now I usually use the TEAC hooked up to a headphone amp and the Marantz through Rega Brio and speakers.

George P likes this.
  14. Brother_Rael

I think $1200 or around £800-900 or so is a fair bit of cash for a lot of people! You've got a right to expect a certain level of performance, but not just that, a right to expect a certain capability and it utterly bemuses me that some companies seem to be making a real hash of this aspect. I got rid of the UD7007 not because it sounded bad, but because it had operational issues, a flaky UI and they eventually drove me up the wall enough to sell it on a while ago. For £1000, that player flopped badly IMO.

15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I've no expereince with the SA7001, but I have with a lot of other CDP's and to me the current Marantz SA8004/8005's are well build machines with many high quality parts inside that you won't even find in higher priced CDP's.

The tray is plastic like most others today, big deal. It opens and closes smoothly and quietly unlike many others today. The load time of the SA8004/8005 is 5 seconds.....FIVE seconds! If that's not fast enough for you then perhaps an ADD prescription is in order......I don't know what else to say about that.

I can't speak to the UD7007, but the vast majority of the Marantz 8004/8005 users are not reporting the issue that bruce2 is having. Hence, my previous comment that it's uncommon.

Personally, if I had the problem bruce2 is having, after the second time it would be on its way back to Marantz for warranty repair, which is what he needs to do.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  16. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

F1nut I agree with most of what you say but we will have to agree to disagree about the tray. To me and in direct comparison to my other player which is also plastic it does not feel as smooth quiet and solid. Also from the time I got my Marantz I thought the load time seemed long and the couple times I bothered to time it it was about ten seconds not five as you say. Maybe I just got a lemon and you are right on all counts I don't know but I do appreciate your advice to send it back under warranty and don't mean to argue.

17. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

So...did you return for warranty repair...or what?

18. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

No. As concerning as they are I have only had two random malfunctions in 7 months of ownership both of which I detailed in my previous posts. One disc refused to read and the other one just stopped playing. The issue was not repeatable as I put in the two offending discs today to test and this time the 8005 played them fine. I am not sure this is enough to go through the hassle of trying to return or complain to my dealer. I do enjoy the sound of the player and realize my complaining may have been excessive. What would you do?

19. Brother_Rael

Inside? Maybe. Outside, no. That was one of the things about the 7007 that disappointed. Unless the 8005 has kept the same heavy fascia the 7001 did.

Apart from the minor fact that I was talking and clearly referenced the 7007 several times, acknowledged that, acknowledged the OP was talking about the 8005 and was relating my experience of issues with the player I had against the player he has. There's an optician in your town, yes?

Mutual snarks aside, if the 8005 has the same noticeable movement up and down that the 7007 did when touched then no I'm not a fan of that. The 7001 had less if that and just felt much more solid. Sure, we're not talking miles solid aluminium build here, but for £1000? They can do better.

I've little spare time these days to put up with manufacturer issues. If a player isn't cutting it either through fault or UI, or whatever, it's time for it to go. It does what it needs to do or it's gone.

That's why there's a Cambridge Audio 752BD in place of the Marantz. It's a better player too and £200 less at full RRP.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    bruce2 likes this.
  20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I looked at pictures of the 7007 online and it looks almost identical to the 8005 from the outside so I assume the tray is the same. Yes when touched it feels flimsy and moves up and down. I would expect this on a sub $500 machine not one costing $1200. I don't know what standards other people have for build quality but I don't find it satisfying.

21. Brother_Rael

Compared to the often all-metal constructions of the 80s, build has gone downhill as bottom line dictates. Must admit, I don't quite see how some on other threads find recognising that worthy of ridicule, but apparently they do...such is life. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

LOL....fair enough.

23. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I was under the impression the issue was more serious...that it was on going. Since that is not the case, relax and enjoy the music.

24. Brother_Rael

25. George P

George P Notable Member

The OP mentions Marantz house sound. Can anyone speak to how the Marantz house sound compares to the Yamaha house sound? I may be considering a Marantz SA8005 in the future, as I want to get SACD compatibility. And I have been listening to Yamaha CD players exclusively for about 20 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.