What Pop are you Listening to Instead of "Authentic" Artists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Ugh! The song is very forgettable and tbh she isn't the prettiest flower in the garden. I've only heard this once and hopefully it's the last time I hear any of her music. (No offense)

Thom likes this.
  2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

Quite honestly, I thought the new album wasn't very good by Kimbra. It had a very 90s feel and not in a good way.

Thom and JohnnyQuest like this.
  3. nbakid2000

Kimbra SHOULD have done something like this:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

I'm into 90's Pop. When it's done right. I would've checked out her album if I wasn't already completely turned off by her. :sigh:

Thom likes this.
  5. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Ha, it's cool, I'm not really a fan. I didn't particularly like her first album, and I haven't even listened to The Golden Echo. I think "Miracle" is fun, but I don't love it. I've just seen that video a lot, particularly at the gym. It's a fluffy disco song, a bit like Kylie Minogue. If she wasn't a New Zealand artist, I wouldn't follow her at all. But I like to keep up with what local artists are doing. :)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  6. JohnnyQuest

I still wish her the best but damn she's going to have to work with different producers and switch up her sound completely. The music video is ok but she also needs a makeover.
    Image is just as important as the music. (in the Pop world) Especially if she's doing that type of music. She needs a look that stands out more. The same can be said for Carly Rae.

Thom likes this.
  7. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Also, because NZ is such a small country, when a New Zealander does well on the global stage, everyone talks about it. When Lorde went to No. 1 on the US chart, I couldn't believe the number of people who were super excited about it. Like, people who never followed the US charts, didn't even know what the Hot 100 was before Lorde was top of it. People I'd never expect to be pop fans (or Lorde fans) were really proud of her... because she had a US No. 1 hit. And then when she won the Grammys... :eek: And when Kimbra 'won' the Grammy (or really, Gotye did; she was just the 'featured' artist) everyone was super proud of her too. So yeah, I suppose it's just a form of patriotism to want to see Kimbra do well, even if she's not quite to my taste.

Jarleboy and JohnnyQuest like this.
  8. nbakid2000

Same thing happens in Canada; Drake is considered a god there.

Thom and JohnnyQuest like this.
  9. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

Europe - Modern Talking
    USA - Michael Jackson

10. nbakid2000

Speaking of Drake, who heard the Weeknd rip off "Hold On We're Going Home"?

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The Rutles.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. JohnnyQuest

Drake is considered a god here in the states too. Every one of my co-workers are Drake fans. All last week I was hearing about how Drake killed Meek Mill's career with...
    https://soundcloud.com/octobersveryown/drake-back-to-back-freestyle

I don't know if @Thom even knows who Drake is.

Thom likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuest

I can't listen to his music anymore. It reminds me of my ex but each time I hear it playing on the radio I anticipate Frank Ocean's next project even more.

14. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Lorde is like the Queen of New Zealand. Metro magazine (a major Auckland publication) did a list of the 'most influential' people in Auckland in a recent issue, and Lorde (Ella Yelich-O'Connor) was ranked 2nd. She's like 18, and regarded as the 2nd most influential person in Auckland (after a super wealthy business guy). And it's totally possible she really is that influential.

15. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

A masterpiece of mood and atmosphere.

nbakid2000 and Thom like this.
  16. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Hey, of course I know who Drake is. Even if I didn't know him from his music, he's always in magazines and all over the web. I'd be surprised if even Bobby Morrow didn't know who Drake was. :D

Jarleboy and JohnnyQuest like this.
  17. JohnnyQuest

@Bobby Morrow do you know who Drake is? :D

18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, he made an appearance on the Justin Bieber album I love so much.

Also, he was the subject of a vampire attack by Madonna.:D

Jarleboy and Thom like this.
  19. JohnnyQuest

:biglaugh:
    You crack me up Bobby.

johnaltman likes this.
  20. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

See, I told @JohnnyQuest you would know who he was. He didn't think I'd know who he was (I do, and I'm not even a, uhhhh, Belieber like you are). :p

21. JohnnyQuest

I'll never underestimate you again. :p At least you two are up to date with what's going on these days in the music world. I think that's pretty cool.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Part 2 could be an EP... Anyway, I'm buying only the part 1 and passing the full experience boxset.

23. nbakid2000

I just posted I didn't remember that video, but I got halfway through it and remembered all the controversy about it. Yeah, I did see it when it dropped. People were freaking out online about it, wanting it removed from YouTube and such.

24. nbakid2000

I really dig Betty Who:

25. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Masterpiece. I still have the single.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.