Cilla Black RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Problem is I would rather not remember those awful shows. Cilla probably deserves credit for making them mildly watchable. Her late 60s onwards variety show deserves remembering above those but most won't be old enough.

muffmasterh likes this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Though I wasn't a fan and didn't like her singing very much, this is sad news.

nikh33 likes this.
  3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Very sad day. RIP

4. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Sam Leach posted it on FB :( Great singer RIP

5. Natural E

Natural E Forum Resident

Have just been listening to her Step Inside Love recordings. So very sad.

6. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

7. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Well she was good emough for George Martin and Burt Bacharach, but what do they know?

willy, Glenpwood, dotheDVDeed and 3 others like this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The reason she was famous was one Brian Epstein. Last thing he did before his death was get her a TV contract. It may not be obvious to younger people but to those my age she is inseparable from the Fabs and the Cavern club. As a singer she was hardly a match for Dusty Springfield, Sandy Shaw and Lulu. Epstein got her some great material early in her career and she was just good enough to pull it off. Her longevity was largely down to her likeability.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Totally agreed. She had a sharp edge to her voice that I found very unappealing.

10. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Shocking news. I'm speechless.
    May she rest in peace.

11. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I'm very sad to hear about Cilla's death. I loved her voice .

"Step Inside Love", "Something Tells Me (Something's Gonna Happen Tonight)" and "You're My World" are true pop classics. Her version of "Alfie" is my favourite.

This is also one of my favourite Cilla songs:

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Thanks to help from such producers and writers that she made a handful of decent records. Her voice was limited but with a certain "ordinary" likeability. Girl next door stuff, and she used that for her enormously successful TV career.

13. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

RIP Cilla

14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Another one I've always liked. Great chorus.

15. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

R.I.P., Cilla.

I've only recently dug into her recordings a little deeper than the singles released here in the U.S. I enjoyed the Sheridan Smith portrayal of Cilla as well as what's left of the 'Cilla At The Savoy' performance from 1966.

Too bad that we didn't get her 'Cilla' show over here in the U.S. We missed great performances like this one with Marvin, Welch & Farrar.

16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

RIP

I only have a greatest hits CD of her 60s output - which is great. Knew nothing about her TV career......going to look through YouTube later today.

17. Bobby Morrow

I think that's the first time I've seen John Farrar without his beard.:)

I'm not sure when this performance was from, but it looks like the late 60's. Bruce Welch and Olivia were dating at this time and I think she knew Farrar from their days touring Australia.

Incidentally, Olivia and Cilla were friends and Olivia paid tribute to her when she recorded 'Anyone Who Had A Heart' for her 2005 covers album, 'Indigo-Women Of Song'

Olivia said, 'In 1966, Cilla Black released this amazing Bacharach/David song. I couldn't believe how she could use her voice both gently and powerfully. She was, and still is, unique!'

willy and Jarleboy like this.
  18. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Such shock news. May she Rest in Peace.

A National Treasure.

ShallowMemory and Beaneydave like this.
  19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Sad news today. I liked Cilla, watched get TV shows in the 70s, 80s and 90s and like many others thought she was a nice person. Condolences.

20. Hawkman

I believe that performance was 1971.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Sadly, the last BBC interview I heard with her it sounded very much like she had had a stroke (slow, slurred speech). Her mind was still sharp as a tack, but something had obviously affected her speech. There has been no mention of this in the news reports I have read, but I would not be surprised if she had suffered another similar attack.

As an old fart, I'm old enough to remember her 60s records and TV shows, and although she found bigger fame through Blind Date and Surprise, Surprise, it will be her achievements in the 60s/early 70s that stick in my mind.

RIP.

22. Bobby Morrow

Thanks. John and Bruce would definitely have been working with Olivia then.

23. Hawkman

Very interesting how the two sides of the ocean remember her. Over here in the States, it's the music. In the U.K., it's her television work for which she is most remembered. Neither is anything to sneeze at. :)

JoeRockhead likes this.
  24. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

The essence of Liverpool. Check out "Liverpool Lullabye" which seems a bit laid-on till you remember who's singing it.

John B Good, willy and Colocally like this.
  25. Hawkman

Another great song that features her softer vocal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.