UPS packages from Amazon requiring a signature

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by KeithH, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Has anyone received a package from Amazon (direct, not from a Marketplace seller) shipped by UPS requiring a signature? This happened to me on Friday, and it is the first time I recall it happening in 17 years buying from Amazon.

I pre-ordered the last three Led Zeppelin CD Deluxe Editions with delivery scheduled for this past Friday (release day). With UPS, I am signed up to get e-mail alerts, and while I was out Friday night, I received notification from UPS that the package could not be delivered because no one was home to sign for it. Just three CDs totaling $48, and a signature was required?

Nothing in my shipment notification from Amazon, the alert from UPS stating that a delivery was scheduled for Friday, or in the order details in my Amazon account indicated that a signature would be required. I engaged in an online chat with Amazon Customer Service yesterday, and the representative simply said that this is decided by the carrier. It seems strange that UPS, instead of Amazon, would decide that I would have sign for the package, knowing that there was a chance I would not be home and they would have to attempt the delivery another day. This is normally decided by the shipper, or with some retailers, requested by the buyer. It is also strange that neither Amazon nor UPS communicated in advance that a signature would be required.

UPS indicated that they would attempt to deliver the package on Monday. In the event that no one is home, I asked them to route the package to a UPS Store in the area. That will delay delivery another day, so I should be able to pick up the package from the UPS Store on Tuesday.

Yes, a first-world problem, but strange nonetheless. I expressed my frustration with Amazon during the online chat because they claimed they had no control over this, meaning that it could happen again without my receiving advanced notice. As a result of this "inconvenience", Amazon gave me a $10 credit for a future purchase. That was a nice gesture, but I still have no way of knowing in advance whether shipments will require a signature.

2. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

I have always had shipments well over $48 dropped on my doorstep with no signature required as well. One possible cause might be human error at UPS as someone could have checked the signature box on your package when they initially received it instead of doing that for the next (or prior) package to be scanned in.

3. KeithH

Yeah, I wondered about that. You're right that it could have just been an error. The Amazon rep. didn't say that, but that very well could be it.

4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Probably either an error on UPS' part or, more simply, a choice made by that delivery person as I understand it's up to the discretion of each individual driver to assess whether it's safe to leave a package without anyone being home to sign for it. When I lived in an apartment building with no access to anyone but tenants, the landlord, and USPS, UPS always required a signature since leaving packages without a signature would have meant leaving them out for the taking by anyone walking by the apartment building. Since moving into a large condo building four years ago, every driver simply leaves packages in the lobby because there is always someone going in or out of the building or the driver can ring the building maintenance supervisor so they can get inside to leave packages. Makes my life much easier now that I don't have to make regular trips to the UPS counter to retrieve packages. The only time I don't like it is when a big ticket item is set to be delivered since, amazingly, UPS and FedEx think nothing about leaving a $500+ package in my building lobby without evening attempting to see if I'm actually there to accept delivery.

5. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I just received a Prime package the other day that required a signature. Not sure why, the contents totaled less than $30.00. Luckily, I received an email from UPS prior to delivery that alerted me to this, and I was able to sign for it online (I have a UPS My Choice account). Like yourself, this was the first time that I ever had to sign for an Amazon package, at least from what I can recall.

6. KeithH

Thanks. I live in a single-family home in a safe neighborhood, but I suppose the driver could have decided to require a signature for some reason. If this becomes the norm hopefully I will be notified in advance.

7. KeithH

Thanks for the info. At least you were notified in advance. I want my Zeppelin CDs! :)

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Depends on my driver. One guy insists on signatures for everything, another never asks for a signature. I've never spent more than 15 seconds thinking about it afterwards.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I would rather have to wait and sign rather than get a package left on the doorstep (which has happened to me on occasion). What would the reaction be if the package was ripped off, guaranteed Amazon gets notified. They can not win in this situation.

10. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Universal required me to sign (in person) for the replacement Battlestar Galactica BD they sent via FedEx. The disc probably had a value of $2.00.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

They're annoyed with the entire situation, and will be damned if there'll be any duplicates issued. The sooner they can resolve the majority of complaints, the sooner they can put it behind them. It's not the value of the disc.

12. KeithH

That makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.