Onkyo HF Player - Hi Resolution App for Android & Apple - 24/192, DSD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brother_Rael, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

This first came out about a year ago, but probably slipped under most people's radar. The Onkyo HF app for Android and iOS has a neat interface, DSD/SACD, FLAC and WAV playback (amongst others) and a very clever EQ feature that enables you to tailor your player's sound if it doesn't quite cut it.

I've installed it on my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact phone and it's made a big difference to the control I have over the sound of the handset when I'm using it for music. Really pleased to have landed this - available for download on the Play Store for Android and the Apple App Store. Here's the link to the relevant info from Onkyo: http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/articles...zer-192-24-playback-on-ios-devices-96729.html

Hymie the Robot, russk and GetHappy!! like this.
  2. Free on the Apple Store, $9.99 for hi-res support. Works great if you output from your phone to a hi-res and/or DSD capable DAC.

Rockos likes this.
  3. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

I've been using this app for about a year, mainly to play hi-res titles I have from my iPad into a DAC. Works quite well, loads files quickly from the Apps section in iTunes.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  4. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I downloaded this app last night, loaded up some files via the iTunes route, and am surprised at the sound quality. But, I have a question about the metadata. I loaded up some files from HD downloads and all the data is there, album cover, track, LP title, etc. Yet when I load a vinyl rip, the files fall into an unknown category.

Anyone know how to add data to these files?

5. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Cool, I'll give it a try. thanks.

6. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Love this app, and im happy to say it plays music thru my kenwood head unit in my car im using a iphone 5s

Brother_Rael likes this.
  7. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

This is the app that I use to stream music from an iPhone6 to an Oppo HA-2 or an iFi Nano/Micro. Works great hi-rez and even DSD!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  8. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I got this app today not had a whole load of time with it yet but first listen through graphic equaliser with mfit stuff was good. So I am thinking of getting the Oppo HA-2 to couple with my iphone 5s , could you share your thoughts on this dac/amp or another that works brst with iphones.

9. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I tried this a while back and I recall it does not play true gapless which is always a deal breaker. Have they addressed this issue?

10. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Never had a problem with it playing gapless, and I've used it for almost 2 years.

cwsiggy likes this.
  11. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

The HA-2 is a so-called "Make For iDevice" unit that "just works" with iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches. For the price, I would say it's the best portable MFi DAC in its class. I've been able to drive 600 ohm cans with it and it does a solid job. Look to the Centrance HiFi-M8 for an example of a higher end MFi portable DAC.

Oh, and regarding Onkyo HF Player and gapless: it works just fine for me.

12. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Good to know its gapless. Thanks for the replies.

13. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

First the bad : No UPNP support which in 2015 should be standard. No file mode. Nice to have but most people have their music files nicely tagged for convenience.

Now the important part, this player passes "bit perfect" sound over USB using OTG function! I have tested the other two most popular players with OTG driver support and this was the only one I could get to send data to my processor un-manipulated. In this day and age of upsampling, which this player does, even dsd, to capable DACs, I like to keep it simple. Don't mess with the signal, send the data untouched in its native resolution and i'm a happy listener.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.