The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Please do. I have very few 80s show and could use afew more if the sound is killer

bmoregnr likes this.
  2. budwhite

Is that part of Dicks picks 14?

3. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Compilations are definitely the way to go with the 80s. On any given night, any given song could spring to life, but the vivaciousness as rarely sustained.

bmoregnr and warewolf95 like this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think this post was about 12/1/73. This show isn't on DP14, but it circulates in about as good quality SBD.

budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  5. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I thought so! There's probably a time limit to how long they stay pulled, to give dead.net time to sell whatever has been released.

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. Scopitone

Does anyone have a HQ scan of the road trips 2.2 cover? (Feb 68 Carousel Ballroom) I just redownloaded my lossless purchase from dead.net, and it comes with crappy quality cover art. I would like something that's at least 600x600 - is that too much to ask??!! :help:

ETA: Never mind - I found some nice ones on albumartexchange. Still, pay $20 for an album,. shouldn't have to go through the hassle.

DrLunchbox, budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

My guess is it has to do with the Archive redesign.

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I was pleasantly surprised by this Minglewood. Bob's vocals are terrible but it has a disco type beat that really cooks. Keith also has a nice solo in it which I wasn't expecting.

Scopitone and warewolf95 like this.
  9. budwhite

Dark Star 72 04 08. Jerry's playing around 28 min is so gorgeous.

Before that, So many roads from 03.28.1993 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY.
    A nice performance. Jerry's vocals are great

10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

[​IMG]

This was my birthday celebration last night. It is becoming an annual thing for sure, and if anyone is near Charm City 8/1 next year I highly recommend being at the 8x10 Club. Cris is a super talented musician, we are lucky to have him based in our town, and he normally plays all other manner of music but for Jerry’s birthday and Jerry Christmas when he and the musicians he gathers just nail it. I wish there was a video of this year’s birthday show to pass along, since they added John Ginty, who flat out wails on a B3, to the lineup that was Merry Jerry Christmas 2014 in this video:

nitsuj, Olompali, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  11. Scopitone

Live at Family Dog at the Great Highway
    1969-11-02

Listening to the last four tracks this morning:

Dark Star (30:06) > St. Stephen (7:28) > The Eleven (11:00) > Death Don't Have No Mercy (11:29)​

That's an hour of tasty jamming. I just got through "St Stephen" right now, and the transition into "The Eleven" is awesome. Phil is kicking all kinds of ass on this one, taking The Eleven up to 11. o_O

warewolf95 and Stone Turntable like this.
  12. Scopitone

11/2/69 "Death Don't Have No Mercy"

Yes Yes Yes

budwhite likes this.
  13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

As I close out years I will post them here, my tip-topiest sq keepers.

5/15/80 - I point this out as Go To Nassau outtakes, Betty mix, fyi there are some mix experiments going on here so not perfect
    6/19/80
    6/20/80
    6/21/80
    9/30/80
    10/13/80 - for the acoustic set only but killer

More '81 - '83 work this afternoon.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  14. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

After an evening last night of solo McCartney and a morning and early afternoon today of Death, the Cars, and Blue Oyster Cult, I return to the Dead yet again :)

On to the second night of 3 in Philly, 1989

10/19/89

I'm really planning on enjoying this just based off the setlist. Let's hope it delivers. I'm a big fan of "Built to Last" and, as far as I know, this was the second to last performance of it, so I'm looking forward to that.

Been a while since I've heard a "Hell In a Bucket". This is a pretty good one. Bob is on tonight. :)

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. warewolf95

What are your thoughts of 1979, 1980 and 1981 in comparison to each other?

16. warewolf95

10/19/89 - Philadelphia, PA

This is the SLOWEST Victim Or The Crime I've ever heard

17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

:whistle:

18. warewolf95

10/19/89 - Philadelphia, PA

That was a really good first set. Nothing really spectacular aside from the awesome Cassidy and jamming, but everything was well played and had energy. Bobby was screaming his nether regions off during HIAB, lol

This second set is kickass so far. The Help>Slip>Franklin was one of the best I've heard and this Estimated>Eyes isn't far behind!

:)

19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Not sure if this is sacriligeous but...

I'm Listening to both disc ones from Europe 72 and E72 volume 2 on shuffle.

warewolf95 and Scopitone like this.
  20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I was at 10/18 and 10/19...
    [​IMG]

Other than "Death Don't Have No Mercy" I have only the vaguest recollection of these shows. Not sure why that is.:whistle:

Edit: I recall it was raining and windy outside the Spectrum, but people were still vending and camping under the terrible conditions even though I think a flyer had gone out saying "no camping or vending" in the parking lot. Also, I'm pretty sure I saw a bronze statue of Julius Erving outside the arena. I had a friend who transferred from my college to UPenn, and me and the three other guys I was traveling with slept on his floor. I got a cheesesteak at some recommended local place.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  21. Scopitone

Something like 5.5 hours, in'it? You could listen to nothing but that stuff all week long and never get bored. :edthumbs:

Erik B. and four sticks like this.
  22. warewolf95

Guys, guys, everyone stop what you're doing and check out the Estimated>Eyes from 10/19/89.

Greatest Estimated I think I've ever heard. Most perfect segue I've ever heard. :)

wavethatflag likes this.
  23. Yeah - really like that one- especially The Eleven.

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Back into the May 1977 box. My favorite Terrapin besides the studio version: 5-12-77.

[​IMG]

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Does anyone know if there's a version of "Wharf Rat" where Jerry doesn't say the "f-word" when singing about doing time for someone else's crime? I'm making a comp for my mom, and she is totally put off by cursing in songs. For example, she didn't like UJB because of it.

warewolf95 likes this.