Weird iTunes Behavior with Rolling Stones Collection

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frank3si, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought "The Rolling Stones 1963-1971" collection for iTunes. But, as you can see in the iTunes image from my PC below, the songs are listed as appearing on the album "The Rolling Stones 1963-1971" and not Let it Bleed, Metamorphosis, or any of the other individual album titles - unless I double-click on the song title to begin playback. When I do so then the album title switches from "The Rolling Stones 1963-1971" to the correct individual LP title, and maintains that value. Has anybody ever seen anything like this, or better yet, have an idea how I can get the proper individual LP titles to show without having to double-click all of these songs?

[​IMG]

2. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Looks like the tags in the files (correct album names) are out of sync with your iTunes library.

If you select all the tracks and then "File -> Get Info", that my cause them all to update at once from the files. Otherwise you can Get Info on the first one then hold down control-N which should key repeat and touch all of them.

3. frank3si

Cheers - I'll give that a shot! I appreciate the reply :righton:

4. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Do you have Apple Music activated? It's been known to mess with tags.

5. frank3si

No, and unfortunately Steve Martin's suggestion did not work. So, I sucked and it and hit the mouse many, many times. But - all's right in the Stones world now :winkgrin:

6. Steve Martin

Sorry that didn't work. I use the following AppleScript on the Mac to refresh the iTunes library when I've edited tags with another program

Code:
    on run
        tell application "iTunes"
            set thetracks to selection
           set thecount to count of thetracks
           repeat with thetrack in thetracks
               if (class of thetrack) is file track then
                  try
                       refreshthetrack
                    on error
                        display notification "Can't update: " & name of thetrack
                        return
                    end try
                end if
                set thecount to thecount - 1
                if (thecount / 100 is thecount / 100 as integer) then
                    display notification "Refresh Tags: " & (thecount) & " remaining." with title "Update"
               end if
            end repeat
       end tell
    end run

frank3si likes this.
  7. frank3si

This:
    So, I sucked and it and hit the mouse many, many times.

Was supposed to read:
    So, I sucked it up and hit the mouse many, many times.

Type in haste and see what happens :rolleyes: - especially when the post editing window has closed.

Cool script - if only I was on Apple platform!

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

That would drive me crazy to not have the Track Number, File Type and Bit Rate columns showing in my iTunes interface. You seem to have plenty of room to add them and they hold a wealth of information.

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

As best as I can tell, this is working as intended. iTunes has it tagged as the set vs. the album. What do the tags look like in itunes?

10. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I haven't edited tags outside of iTunes in many years, but in the past all you needed to do was select all tracks in your library, open Get Info and then click OK. This was force iTunes to re-read all tags. Of course, an AppleScript may be easier these days.

11. Steve Martin

Perhaps that used to work but doesn't any more which would explain why I use the AppleScript now. Thought it was worth a shot in Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.