Netflix in Talks for ‘Wet Hot American Summer’ TV Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Last night in Brooklyn, I went to an outdoor screening of the original film, which was preceded by a sneak preview of the first episode of the new series. David Wain and many castmembers were there...

The new ep was wonderful and it was quite hilarious to be followed by the original with them all 15 years younger...

2. dirwuf

Excuse the slight detour, last night on Netflix my wife and I came across "They Came Together", done by the same creative team (and much of the cast) as WHAS...we thought it was fantastic, almost as good as WHAS. I can't believe how under-the-radar this is...

Mr. H, progrocker71 and guy incognito like this.
  3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder, adding it to my queue.

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Because the marketing and trailer sucked. And the title sucks.

5. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

It was so incredibly painful to sit though..so goad we redboxed it.

6. dirwuf

I can't fathom someone who liked "Wet Hot American Summer" not enjoying this...it's classic Wain/Showalter.

7. nbakid2000

I think the trailer looks absolutely nothing like 'Wet Hot' but I'll sit down and watch it tonight.

8. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

A new behind the scenes video.

minerwerks and hotsoup like this.
  9. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Here's another clip.

10. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Less than two hours to go.

11. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to this. Getting all of the cast members to come back gives me the slimmest of hopes that somehow, someday Netflix might find a way to to do the same type of thing for Freaks and Geeks.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Saw the first two eps. Not that good really, but then neither was the movie. Just comes across as amateurish.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Man, this show is a real stinker. I suppose the show was going for Flying High/Naked Gun type of humor, but what was delivered was akin to a clumsy high school production. It was unfunny, cheesy and hackneyed. Horrible, horrible show, in the same league as Mulaney!

sportzdad likes this.
  14. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I'm about 4 episodes in and really enjoying it. It doesn't feel as genuine or as special as the movie was back in 2001, but it's delivering the goods IMO. It doesn't strike me as a re-animated corpse that the Arrested Development comeback seemed to be (aside from the Buster episode, which was amazing).

15. progrocker71

The show is dumb on purpose, amateurish on purpose, looks like a high school production on purpose. If that's not the style of humor you can appreciate then avoid, but this isn't an "accidentally" bad show, this is a "willfully" bad show. That's exactly what the fans of the original movie liked about it.

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The show is just like the movie -- a sprinkling of inspired gags but mostly ranging from mildly funny to dull. I'm not really sure how it got to have such a cult following, or why the cast are so fond of it they were all eager to return. I think it was actually like summer camp for them.

Both show and movie spend way too much time with the boring character played by Michael Showalter, since he created the thing.

17. Watched the first two episodes. My opinion in one word 'puerile'.

Deesky likes this.
  18. nbakid2000

I watched the whole thing on Friday. It was really good, definitely not a let down. I thought Jon Hamm was vastly under-utilized, but the kitchen scene was FANTASTICALLY choreographed.

Overall, I thought it was pretty hilarious (the chase scenes with the chef) but some of the jokes needed some editing or cutting, as they fell flat or there were awkward places where there WAS no joke but was set up to be a joke. I enjoyed it and am glad it came back.

hotsoup likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Mission Accomplished!

20. progrocker71

Again, it just shows how subjective comedy really is.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  21. nbakid2000

I watched the movie directly after the series....they're two completely different things. The series is very much a cartoon and the characters are written differently than they are in the movie (especially Showalter's character). The movie itself is darker as well as the characters.

Both are excellent, but it's like comparing Clerks vs Clerks the Cartoon. They bring very different things to the table and can't really be compared or paired together well. It just doesn't work.

22. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

Good point, and I feel like the movie was very much a send-up (and member) of camp movies and related tropes, while the TV series was preoccupied with creating its backstory.

I still can't get over Jon Hamm's scene in the convenience store.. I'd watch an entire second "season" of just him, Christopher Meloni and David H. Pierce.

23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watched part of ep01 , does
    it get better ?

24. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Watched the first three so far and love it. To me it's a worthy addition to the world the film created.

25. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.