any black metal fans in the house?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PopularChuck, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

I apparently awoke the beast again haha. I still need a copy of blaze in the northern sky. I really want that album.

2. The Colombian duo? I dug the Other Voices... album but don't know much of their other stuff.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  3. coltlacey1

There was some back story to it. Started in the US and moved to Columbia, broke it off with the guy in Columbia and then came back to the US and created this new version on inquisition. The Columbian one was more on the side of death metal.

4. Right on. Somebody has to defend the cold, hissy Nordic credibility of the Tr00 Kvlt Black Metal against the inauthentik subversions of the necroposeurs.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Dissing the second gen makes someone an ¨expert¨:shake: ??!!. Dude; re-read the thread title. Being into black metal doesn't make ANYONE an expert. It's the self-proclaimed ones that brings on the laughter, not the bona fide posters who chime in saying they like some band. Formerly know as ABBAFAN ??!!:biglaugh:

6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

no, it just means he's more discerning ;-)

7. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Sure I am an ABBA fan and proud of it !!! But I am also into metal since 1985 - what's the problem ??? I also listen to Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols, Kraftwerk or The Beatles for example, cause I am a very open-minded MUSIC fan. I never "dissed" anybody for being a fan of the second generation Black Metal (if you don't agree with me, please show me the post where I did that), cause there were some cool bands (Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal, Strid, Thorns or Azhubham Haani for example). The only thing I am really laughing about are the many self-proclaimed music experts here. If you don't have any clue about metal, start a new Beatles thread instead of posting senseless and stupid "expert" knowledge :) Thank you very much.

blackmoreb35 and coltlacey1 like this.
  8. The Pinhead

OK then; whose posts are you talking about then ? I do enjoy several types of music myself, and I don't think I'm at expert at anything.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

are those the guys standing in 3 feet of snow clutching the invisible grapefruit?

Dudley Morris and blackmoreb35 like this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So you're saying you're more into Celtic Frost, Venom, Bathory, and Hellhammer then? That's cool. I like those bands, too.

11. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I was talking about naming bands here by some members which are 0% Black Metal.
    Yes, I am talking about Hellhammer, Venom, Celtic Frost and Bathory - and continue with Master's Hammer, Tormentor (Hungary), Mayhem...

GodShifter likes this.
  12. jy3iix

jy3iix Forum Resident

Here to learn and pick up suggestions from fellow forum members... That said, from my own listening and reading, a few recommendations for anyone interested...
    Loved this Brooklyn outfit's last album "Hammer Of Night", some potent visceral stuff...

Yellow Eyes (2)

In a strange way their percussion sound reminds me of Bill Bruford on the King Crimson album Red. That kind of hollow dissonant effect. Not sure if that's typical of black metal but it's very effective, very alienating.

Some other great current bands who incorporate elements or passages of black metal into their music in what to my ears are some pretty innovative ways...

Celeste (4)
    Wardruna
    Locrian
    Stara Rzeka

The creator behind Stara Rzeka is someone to watch. Bit of a modern day William Blake in a sense - he shares some fascinating insights on black metal themes and ethics in this interview...
    http://thequietus.com/articles/13068-stara-rzeka-interview
    To me it's a very heartening and quite honestly exciting thing to see artists like this willing to move the form forward - creating and expressing some new - and not just letting it die because it's not "trve" or whatever.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  13. coltlacey1

With a good microline...man it sounds good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blackmoreb35 likes this.
  14. The Pinhead

Hey nice dust arm (?). What brand is it ? Is it effective ? Does it work against static too ?

coltlacey1 likes this.
  15. coltlacey1

It is a carbon fiber brush, not sure if it works against static but it does pick up lots of excess dust that may have come out of the sleeve during storage. It is a Super Magic Cleaner. I started a thread on it because I wanted to know more about it. The brands that are easier to find are called "dust bug". Mine is missing the roller for some reason but the brush works well

16. The Pinhead

I used to have one in the 80's. The arm was flat transparent acrilic and had a roller you had to damp with a fluid but no brush. I may be wrong but I recall it being called Dustsomething. It never collected any serious dust either because my records were squeaky clean or it didn't work properly; I will never know. It was always like 2 songs ahead of the stylus. Would love to have your same model or similar if you care to link me.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  17. motionoftheocean

such a great album. how does that pressing sound?

coltlacey1 likes this.
  18. coltlacey1

It sounds fantastic with the microline stylus. This is a first press as well. The pops and clicks have nearly disappeared from it now due to the new stylus. Hope it improves more once the stylus breaks in a bit more. I'm only up to about 21hours on this new one.

19. motionoftheocean

oh cool! I wasn't sure if they did a reissue of the picture disc in the 2000s. I've got the original Malicious Records pressing but I've never even come across the picture disc in a store.

20. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Deafheaven worth checking out?

21. coltlacey1

This was a Discogs purchase from Germany. Sadly I don't have a store within Bout 150miles of here so everything is purchased online. From what I have seen on Discogs, the picture disc wasn't ever repressed either

22. motionoftheocean

you could listen to My Bloody Valentine while slapping yourself a face in the bunch of times and have a superior experience

23. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Tell us how you really feel about it. :winkgrin:

24. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I just checked 'em out... I don't know that I've ever hear My Bloody Valentine, but you may be right. Good thing I've got Sworn To The Dark on my iPod right now. :)

25. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

These are indeed golden times for underground metal in general, regardless of the "sub-classification" - I didn't have time to scroll through every post to see if this had already been mentioned - but you cannot go wrong with the Canadian label Profound Lore - basically a one man operation (Chris Bruni) with cheap prices, fast shipping, excellent customer response and most important of all, an almost flawless lineup of metal releases (currently enjoying Vanum, Leviathan, Purient, Abyssal and Indesinence).

Gilead Media is also a great label, with the new False and all the Thou stuff being particularly excellent. Here is a partial list of albums I have had on repeat for months now (in no particular order):

Inter Arma: The Cavern
    Old Man Gloom – The Ape Of God
    Witch Mountain – Mobile Of Angels
    Tombs – Savage Gold
    Krieg – Transient
    Godflesh – A World Lit Only By Fire
    Pallbearer – Foundations of Burden
    Falls Of Rauros – Believe In No Coming Shore
    Panopticon – Roads To The North
    Thantifaxath – Sacred White Noise
    Indian – From All Purity
    Winterfylleth – The Divination Of Antiquity
    Thou – Heathen
    At The Gates – At War With Reality
    Morbus Chron – Sweven
    Agalloch – The Serpent & The Sphere
    Nux Vomica – Nux Vomica
    YOB – Clearing The Path To Ascend (Neurot)
    Blut Aus Nord – Memoria Vetusta III – Saturnian Poetry

blackmoreb35 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.