Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Neilson77, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Considering buying these. Currently using Sony MDR-V700DJ. How would these compare sound quality wise?

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Dunno, never heard the MDR-V700DJ. The ATH-M50 sounds great for the money - probably the best cans in their price class. Balanced, neutral, the bass is maybe slightly weak but goes very deep - shockingly deep - and is extremely precise, so they always surprise me. No annoying frequency humps.

I doubt the Sony's sound better.

There's a review of the AT's here:

Neilson77 likes this.
  3. I considered these when I was shopping for headphones, but in the end I picked the ATH-M40x, since all the reviews seem to agree that they are the most neutral-sounding, while the M50x are bass-heavier. Since I prefer a flat and neutral sound, I can tell for sure that I'm extremely happy with my ATH M40x headphones. And they aren't bass-weak by any means.

ThorensSme likes this.
  4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I find it hard to believe the M50's are considered "bass-heavy". This review includes a response graph, and while the bass enjoys a slight boost, it's at lower frequencies for the most part. In the upper range it's really flat, and apart from a low-treble suckout stays reasonably flat out to 10,000Hz.

Crucially, at around 100Hz (where bass tends to get tubby and unpleasant), there's actually a drop. Which probably leads to my listening impression that they're slightly bass-shy, but deliver impressive extension.

Joy-of-radio and bru87tr like this.
  5. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I find the M50 very, very crisp and forward sounding which I sometimes mistake for sounding bright. I use these when I want to rock out.

I use my Sennheiser H600 and ATH-AD2000 when I want to relax, since they sound a bit more laid back which makes things sound more lush. Had those headphones first, so I initially didn't like the M50 when I finally got a pair. Sounded very aggressive and forced. Took me a while to adjust to them and appreciate their strengths. Might have also been burn-in.

In any case, highly recommended.

6. You are right. I should have added "in comparison", since these headphones aren't DJ-type.

7. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I use the 50's - bass heavy, no way - accurate to source, hells yes

Joy-of-radio and Galley like this.
  8. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I would be looking at the Focal Spirit Pro for $349 at Sweetwater.com . That will be my next set of cans. They are a sealed type. Ask for Ben Porter at Sweetwater.

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Rockos likes this.
  10. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I just bought a pair of these and like them very much. I joined Massdrop.com in order to pick them up for $119.99. No doubt they will offer them again soon, the site is a never ending stream of offers for headphones, IEMs, and headphone amps. After letting them burn in for a few days I finally plugged them into my Pioneer SX-850's jack and was quite bowled over by the sonics. Even had I paid $161 on Amazon I certainly would have felt like I was getting more than my money's worth, at $120 so much the better!

11. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

These are very nice sounding headphones. I use it with my PONO and its a great combination.

The build quality and design are excellent, and they fold up into a really compact configuration.

You will not be disappointed in this choice.

12. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

For $100 or so(refurbished), you would be hard pressed to find a better made, better sounding headphone. the bass is not overpowering but it's definitely more than many flat sounding headphones. I have never thought it was too much on any song I have ever listened to. The mids are a tad recessed as the headphones have the V sound, which I really like. The highs are a bit more prominent but I have never thought they were fatiguing or annoying whatsoever-and I am very sensitive to the higher frequency spectrum. It brings out great detail in the upper spectrum. Out of all the headphones I have owned-40+ pairs, these are still my favorite. Comfortable, durable, fantastic sounding.

13. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

The ATH-M50x is a solid headphone, period. A great value for the price. I highly recommend the velour ear cups (Massdrop sometimes has them for $20).

You can drive the ATH-M50x with very little power. Decent volume can be achieved with a mobile phone.

noahjld, sunspot42 and Rockos like this.
  14. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Listening to my ATH-M50x's at work right now with velour pads and a Schiit Fulla. Thumbs up!

sunspot42 and Rockos like this.
  15. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Just received and put on a pair of Brainwavz HM5 Velour pads ($19.50), way more comfortable and plenty of room for my big ears, unlike AT's own velvet pads which provide less space than the standard pleather.

FYI - Massdrop.com is selling AT's velour pads right now for $20 for those interested.

16. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I think they sound great, for their price range, it might be hard to find better. I love listening to them. HOWEVER, I must point out that comfortability wise, they may not be for everyone. The "pleather" ear cups are a bit firm and at first use I've had no problem but over a few months I started to notice a bit of discomfort, specifically on my left ear. I've tried readjusting the ear cups to get them to fit my ears better and it works somewhat. So if you have that problem try twisting the ear cups a little to the left to give your ears more space, that's what I did to fix the fit at first. Now though I may have over-adjusted them and can't seem to find how I can get them back to their original form...hopefully I can get my ears to adjust to them the way they used to because now my right ear touches the cup a little bit. But again, the discomfort I've felt has not been overbearing. I'm just picky :o

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I'm happy with my set and, while they're not noise cancelling, they were very effective on a plane.

The only criticism, if I can call it that, is when I switched from music to a movie on my tablet that they weren't very clear with movie dialogue and effects. Perhaps there are different headphones more suited for movie use, but I don't fly enough to investigate further.

18. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I was using a pair of ATH M50's for the past 3 years or so and absolutely loved them. I just upgraded to the Hifiman 400i's, which I also love. I'll always have a soft spot for the M50's, though. They are astounding headphones for their price.

Rockos and sunspot42 like this.
  19. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Another vote for the ATH M50X. I bought the blue color limited edition. Look great, sound great.

20. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Has anyone ever compare these to the ATH-A700X or ATH-A900X?

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've been curious, how are the M50's in terms of sound isolation (as in blocking outside sounds, not sound leaking)? I currently use PSB M4u2 noise cancelling headphones which are pretty fantastic, but I'd sort of like a pair I leave in my bag for commuting and another pair I leave on my desk.

22. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I use these at work and sometimes miss when my phone rings (not necessarily a bad thing :)). They don't isolate to the same extent noise cancelling 'phones do.

I think these are fine "work desk" cans.

Rolltide likes this.
  24. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I travel a lot and carry the M50x with me (only pair of headphones I have). As mentioned above, these are passive noise cancelling headphones. You'd still hear some hum from the flight but still enjoy the music.

25. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

Do drums and cymbals sound good on these? I read some reviews where they called the highs more synthetic sounding, is that true?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.