Dylan's "Blonde On Blonde" Sundazed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wes, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

Very happy to have this one. Of course it is the mono repress from 2010 but man it sounds good. Been waiting for this one. I hadnt heard it in mono before now! Definitely some solid differences I wasn't aware were there before. On stereo it seems like a lot of the sounds meant to be a bit more quiet are much louder. This is very good though. What are your opinions on the mono version of the album vs stereo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to pickup the Beatles box set too just have yet to get around to it.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  2. Cool. By next weekend you might even want to try a stereo record. :tiphat:

Just kidding. That's such a great record in mono. You'll enjoy it. Try Sgt Pepper next. I'm sure you'll get plenty of other suggestions too.

coltlacey1 and GreenFuz like this.
  3. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Axis : Bold as Love is fantastic in mono.

4. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

Hey, coltlacey1!

I'm a mono freak (and Blonde on Blonde is one of my favourite records, coincidentally) but I happen to like the original stereo mixes of that album enough to listen to both of them frequently. The stereo mix that comes closest to the mono, and which I also like, is the most recent remaster that was featured first on SACD and then on the hybrid.

But in my mind the mono mix is definitive, much more for Blonde on Blonde than it is in the case of Highway 61 Revisited. If you like John Wesley Harding, though, the mono is mix is even more the definitive version. (And the U.S. 60's pressing most definitively.)

Possibly some bad news though.
    If that's a Sundazed first pressing, it's far from the best way to hear that album. It very seriously lacks the punch and pace that contribute to the character of a U.S. 60's pressing.

Both the recent Columbia mono boxset and the Music On Vinyl reissues feature appropriate compression that makes them a whole lot more lively than the Sundazed. (The MOV pressing may even be using identical plates to the Columbia.)

I haven't heard any of them, but Sundazed reprotedly did new cuts of their Dylan monos that are supposed to sound much better than the first issue. It seems unlikely, but it may be that for some titles Sundazed even used Columbia plates.

The new Sundazed feature different stickers on the shrink than the old ones did.

5. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

Sgt. Pepper's will absolutely blow your mind!

Gabba, gabba, we accept you.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  6. coltlacey1

This one is definitely Columbia/sundazed released. This is a press from 2008. Not 2010 like I had figured. The other mono pressing I saw from sundazed was from 2002. Not sure before that.

7. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

The Beatles mono box is fabulous. Have been getting into mono releases a lot lately. Jeff Beck's Truth is next on the list.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  8. coltlacey1

Must have! I'm sure it is worth the money

9. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

That’s the one!

A review in Uncut magazine did a brilliant job of advocating the power of the mono Blonde on Blonde:

With mono, the vocals and instruments are locked together. The words and music make up a whole. There are, frankly, plenty of shortcomings with his ’60s catalogue in stereo. The current Sony CD of The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan (1963) places his voice in the centre, his acoustic guitar on the far right and his harmonica on the far left, so that he seems to be three different people. Blonde On Blonde suffers, too, with the bass, drums, guitars and organ assembled in awkward positions like puzzled footballers across an endless midfield. Does stereo ruin Blonde On Blonde? Of course not. But perhaps it blunts its edge?

Blonde On Blonde is a revelation in mono. It’s such a thrill to hear this album precisely as it once faced the world. The difference is dramatic. The epic ballads (“Visions Of Johanna”, “Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands”) no longer come at us from illogical angles, but nominate one narrator to relate their tales while his players sit around him, watching warily, hanging on his every word. When the pace quickens (“Absolutely Sweet Marie”, “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again”), Dylan and the musicians are a united front, a more relaxed outfit and – incidentally – a great little band. No doubt about it, mono is the way to go with Blonde On Blonde.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  10. coltlacey1

Awesome article. I can completely agree. Visions of Johanna has been a favorite for a long time and that was one spot where I really noticed a difference. And yes! Hearing Dylan all over the place was strange with the stereo!

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I grew up with the stereo mix and it took some time for me to warm up to the mono mix because I was so used to hearing certain things that ended up being mixed out or mixed pretty low (like those guitar fills on "Visions"...) I have to say side 3 absolutely smokes in MONO - one of my favorite album sides.

I found an original mono (w/Claudia pic) in fantastic shape a couple years ago - sounds brand new. Love it!

coltlacey1 likes this.
  12. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

If you like The Doors, Strange Days in mono is a must. The recent Record Store Day reissue is quite nice and can still be found for a reasonable price. Also, if you can track an original copy of down their debut in mono, that's a keeper too. Stay away from the RSD debut re-issue. It's a distorted mess.

RogerE and coltlacey1 like this.
  13. coltlacey1

I'll definitely take a look for it. I do like the doors

14. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I'd second that Doors Strange Days mono RSD, was very impressed. I hope there are more RSD releases of hard to get/expensive mono albums.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  15. coltlacey1

Wake up this old thread from the 2002 release haha. The new pressing atleast sounds good from what I have heard.

16. coltlacey1

Here's a screenshot I took from Discogs. Apparently this release from 2008 solved many of the issues you guys were discussing.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.