Audience Channel 180 gm Vinyl

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SoCalWJS, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCalWJS

SoCalWJS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not quite sure where to post this one......

Flipping though the channels and saw an Elton John concert on the "Audience" Channel on DirecTV and figured I'd put it on for background while I do dinner prep. They have a break and a commercial comes on for a limited edition 180 Gram Vinyl release for "Alabama Shakes" "Sound and Color" (I admit, no clue who this is), so I tune in closely for a bit. I look up and the sales pitch guy is saying you can choose colored or clear vinyl while they show the record spinning on a turntable. I take a quick look.

This thing is warped. I mean badly warped.

I'm thinking to myself "they're bothering to advertise 180 gram vinyl, and that's the best they can do? What the F***?".

Do they really care that little?

2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Yes! I return much warped vinyl. That's why I like Amazon. Quick shipping and no hassle returns.

jon9091 likes this.
  3. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I was looking on YouTube for the commercial but couldn't find it. I am a minor fan of the band having bought the first record in 2012. I've played the new one just once or twice now. Too bad about the commercial because the band does seem to be into the vinyl scene.

Here's the singer touring United.

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Warped new vinyl almost par for the course now isn't it? I got a vinyl flat/groovy pouch so I don't worry about it now.

jon9091 likes this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I ended up getting a vinyl flat & groovy pouch because I was seeing so many warped records. It does a great job.

Ntotrar likes this.
  6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I do want a flat and groovy but its cheeper and more expedient to stick Amazon with returns until I get a good copy of whatever album I'm seeking. Folks, don't settle, you pay good money for records. demand quality! Only after all that consider fixing it yourself...

Flat and perfect on my dream list...

Flat and groovy on my wish list...

7. jon9091

Amazon is awesome about returns! But...I don't buy all my records from Amazon. I buy a lot from my local record store , and some artist websites (2015 Budgie reissues ...most warped records ever!)

Ntotrar likes this.
  8. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I have the European clear vinyl edition of Sound & Color and it's perfectly flat. It's a really good soulful album.
    You'd think for an ad, they'd be able to find a flat record to demonstrate even if the copies they actually sell are warped

jon9091 likes this.
  9. SoCalWJS

SoCalWJS Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is what had me thinking about how much they really care about HQ Vinyl. They go through all the trouble to make the record, shoot a commercial and then run it, but they can't be bothered to find a reasonably flat copy to shoot the video.

Wait a minute - maybe it was the flattest they could find. :faint:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  10. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I've shot dozens of TV ads in my day. I can tell you for certain that the flatness of the record was never a consideration on the set. Nobody cared one way or another and neither should you. How do you know that the problem wasn't that the record was warped but instead that the spindle hole was had some flashing on it and no one had pushed hard down on the label to seat the record? Both problems would look the same on camera.

In a TV studio, speed is more important than accuracy. You are charged for studio time by the hour. For an ad like this, getting the shot completed is more important than getting the details right. You are rushing as fast as you can because it saves you money, which in even a cheap studio can be over $100 dollars an hour.

You guys are reading way too much into this.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  11. jon9091

I've been a video editor for 28 years, and this is exactly the kind of thing that would get dumped on us, and somehow we would be expected to fix it.

ggergm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.