Do you think any of these "Hot 100" records will be broken some day?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Recheck at the OP.

benm1976 likes this.
  2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Actually, the single that debuted at #1 is tough to "beat", but it's been done no fewer than twenty-two times since You Are Not Alone. The reason why it hadn't been done prior to had to do with the advent of SoundScan registering singles sales, which hadn't occured prior to the early '90s.

ARK likes this.
  3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

George Strait has had 94 singles and 85 of them top 10 - including 44 number 1's on the US country chart. Not a record but a pretty damn impressive hit rate!

Grand_Ennui and zphage like this.
  4. benm1976

benm1976 Well-Known Member

Ha. How did I overlook that?

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

It's ok. I've overlooked her whole career since her debut. :p

dougb222 and benm1976 like this.
  6. nb2k

nb2k Forum Resident

Kraftwerk? :)

7. benm1976

benm1976 Well-Known Member

I may have too if it weren't for my kids.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. BayouTiger

I gotta admit that I may not care for her music, but I have indeed been caught looking....

JohnnyQuest and benm1976 like this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

[​IMG]

JoeF. likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

real or memorex? I'm drifting towards not!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  11. BayouTiger

lol
    Such a classic beauty. Really does need the shock value! OK thread crap over....
    [​IMG]

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  12. BayouTiger

I'm thinking real BTW...

jeatleboe and JohnnyQuest like this.
  13. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Unfortunately, these robots will not be talented.

nb2k likes this.
  14. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Well, she's not completely pointless.

benm1976 likes this.
  15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's not the records for most number ones or top tens that I think might stand forever, it's the records for most albums sold, most albums sold in one week, etc. With free music everywhere I don't know it would be possible any of those records could be broken anymore. We still have Adele/Taylor sized phenomena but downloading and streaming must still cut a chunk of their big numbers.

ARK likes this.
  16. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

They will all be broken and here is why.
    Many of those records themselves were set because of the change in the criteria.
    For example, Elvis 79 weeks at # 1, no one came close to it for decades, not even the Beatles (59) until they changed the criteria with Soundscan. As well, Elvis Don't Be Cruel used to hold the record for most weeks at # 1 with 11. It wasn't broken until Soundscan either, and then was broken a few times.
    Plus, Billboards Hot 100, used to be the Top 100, but they would also include chart success on other charts such as jukebox, and sales. Once they became only the Hot 100, they only started counting things an artist achieved on the Top 100 towards the Hot 100. Elvis also actually has 40 top 10 Hits if you count the other Billboard charts prior to the Hot 100. Now you add how Billboard is actually counting how often songs are streamed to equal the single purchase of a song and it's no contest and totally unfair. It's not like we can count how often a single was played in your room when you bought it. The Beatles record for having 14 songs in the Hot 100 in the same week was recently tied by Drake, only because so many people were streaming his songs at one time from his latest album. Now you tell me that makes since. That Beatles. feat stood alone for 50 years. just like the Elvis ones I mentioned stood for 35 years to 50 years.
    Plus the way artists approached singles changed as well. For instance. Michael Jackson chose to release 7 singles from BAD. Before the Mtv era, and even during it, most artists would only release 3, maybe 4 songs from and album before releasing another album. Michael Jackson chose to mile thriller and BAD to death with 7 singles a piece. Then you have bands who rarely released singles at all. Had the Beatles released a few singles from Pepper and The White Album they would have had a lot more # 1s. They should just stop claiming that people are setting records, or change it to Records set in digital download era, streaming era, jukebox era, hard copy purchase era.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Real. There's a tell-tale sign in that gif, but I can't explain it here as this is a family forum...

Oh, why not. "Mammorex" don't jiggle....

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, gotcha...

19. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

There are 3 I doubt will be broken

I dont see any act scoring more than 6 #1 hits in a single year on the Hot 100 EVER. The formula the chart uses these days has made it harder for singles to hit the #1 spot. I also dont see an act scoring 20 #1 hits and definately not in the time span the Fab 4 did.

I also see Whitneys record remaining in tact. 7 consecutive #1 hits means she was basically dropping them for 2+ years, ontop of that she was selling millions upon millions of albums
    simultaneaously.

Grand_Ennui, Thom, Metralla and 2 others like this.
  20. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

He very nearly did it on the Bad album, but Another Part of Me only made it to 11. He had 6 with that album.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  21. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Only if you count rereleases, and I'm not sure why you would. She had 5 initially and then an additional one when she rereleased it with new songs.

benm1976 likes this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Records are made to be broken, and most of those records will fall one day. Or maybe they'll stand forever - you just never know with pop music. Something catches the fancy of the general public and just takes off. Example:

Q. What act holds the record for most consecutive weeks at no. 1?
    A. Black Eyed Peas in 2009. 26 weeks!

ARK likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

No idea. Anything's possible, I suppose.

25. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

Yes, those records will all be broken, but I suspect steroids will be to blame :angel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.