The Ramones - the best of the rest?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

That is a good cover, they had a few other covers that I liked, Journey To The Center a of Yure Mind, 5 O Clock World.

2. ¡Adios Amigos! (As far as I'm concerned, they went out with a bang!)
    Brain Drain
    Pleasant Dreams
    Subterranean Jungle
    Too Tough to Die
    Mondo Bizarro
    Animal Boy
    Halfway to Sanity
    Acid Eaters
    (easily my least favorite Ramones)

dino77 likes this.
  3. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yes, he did a good job on the Dee Dee numbers, like this one and Main Man.

4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Pleasant Dreams has the only Ramones material post-1978 that I ever have any desire to listen to so that gets my vote.

5. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I own them all except for Animal Boy and Halfway To Sanity. I need to rectify that. Latter day Ramones tend to get short changed but I feel all of these records contain some great rock and roll, maybe not their best, but I reach for these albums quite often when I need a Ramones fix...and I feel one coming on.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love The Ramones but I never bought anything beyond Rocket To Russia except for the novelty Acid Eaters.

> So, lets take it step further - what are the very best songs from all these post golden era albums?

7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

"The KKK Took My Baby Away"

that's about it

Purple Jim likes this.
    Hep Alien, Purple Jim and mooseman like this.
  9. I have every Ramones album. They all have something to offer. Pleasant Dreams is marvelous, as good an album as any of the first four IMO.

Hep Alien, keef00 and ralphb like this.
  10. sami

sami Mono still rules

The first four are clearly the classic, must own records, but I like everything through Too Tough To Die. Beyond that, I kind of lost interest.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think Too Tough To Die is generally considered their best post 70's album and a real return to form. Certainly in the UK, where it was quite popular and attracted some new fans.

12. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I own all of the albums; each of them has something to offer. Here's my post End of the Century hit parade, with those first 3 being my favorites:

I Don't Wanna Grow Up
    R.A.M.O.N.E.S.
    Touring
    She's a Sensation
    The KKK Took My Baby Away
    Psycho Therapy
    Time Has Come Today
    Too Tough to Die
    Howling At the Moon (Sha-La-La)
    Poison Heart
    Substitute
    Endless Vacation
    I Wanna Live
    Bop 'til You Drop
    She Talks to Rainbows

13. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I'm a bit of a fanboy where the Ramones are concerned so I own them all. My favorite post-End of the Century album is Too Tough To Die (1984) - it's their most badass record outside of the first four.

14. cgw

cgw Forum Resident Thread Starter

So far I have listened to the first 5 on the list (AKA their 6-10). You can't really get a good sense from one listen but does it seem like that in their first 4 or 5 albums their different sensibilities combined more consistently while in the later albums the songs tended to be more diverse (from Joey's pop to (I assume) Dee Dees hard core)?

I also take away from one listen that I should buy Too Tough to Die next.

15. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

Love 'em all. God bless The Ramones.

16. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I have a long time friend who is a huge record collector and one of those people who prides himself on always being the first one to know about new "worthy" bands.

I discovered the Ramones through a good friend at work and until they played a small club in my town for the first time in March 1978, I was sure my work friend and I were the only two Ramones fans in town.

I played them for my collecting friend and he dismissed them immediately more than a bit smugly. He rebuffed my other attempts to get him to reconsider. Every one of my other music friends at the time did the same.

We were talking about the Ramones recently and now, he is saying that he loved these guys all along, and he even tried to imply that HE turned ME onto them. LOL!

I suspect that he is not the only one who has totally revised his initial opinion now that they are considered the massively innovative and influential artists that they should have been seen as all along.

So, cheers to all of you who were there first...:)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  17. Remurmur

Agreed about Journey To The Center Of The Mind.

Another one that comes close to matching the original even though IMO, Joey should have had the vocals on that one rather than CJ.

mooseman likes this.
  18. Remurmur

I'm happy to see so many folks here who speak highly of Pleasant Dreams, and that it lead the pack (currently) in the poll.

I've always thought that this one, rather than End Of The Century, should have been the one to break out the band.

Regardless of Johnny's long held opinion, I still think Graham Gouldman's production is brilliant and really suits the songs.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Brain Drain is so overlooked. The extra production polish really brought out their songwriting.

20. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Got 'em all, love 'em all. In my house, all Ramones is good Ramones! :righton:

21. Remurmur

Agreed. Don't Bust My Chops doesn't get mentioned much, but that may be my favorite song off that album.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  22. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Every song is great imo. I Believe in Miracles is a great opener too.

Remurmur likes this.
  23. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I haven't heard the last few, but looking at this list really makes me appreciate what a solid studio band these guys were. How many groups (esp in the punk genre) have this many great records? They're fun to collect as well :)

24. Remurmur

I originally gave this one a B in my earlier ranking post but now you have me thinking I may have shortchanged it a bit.

In the end, I gotta agree with theshape's quote above...

All Ramones is good Ramones...:righton:

RelayerNJ and theshape like this.
  25. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I have them all, and love them all, but they vary in quality. I like Pleasant Dreams more now than I used to. Love All Quiet On The Western Front & Sitting In My Room. SJ was my first one and it and TTTD go back and forth as my favorites. It's been SJ for a few years; Outsider. Highest Trails Above, What'd You Do. And I always loved Wart Hog & Endless Vacation on TTTD. Animal Boy takes a big step down. The songs aren't that good though there are some good ones. I loved HTS went it came out, but I can see the songs aren't that good, but I loved their sound at that time. Brain Drain has much better songs though the snare is too up in the mix. Mondo is my least favorite as a collection of songs. It just never grabbed me. It needed more Dee Dee songs to balance out Joey's. Acid Eaters was my least favorite overall, but now I like it much more. Adios was a great album to go out on. The songs were really good. For later I'd go with Brain Drain & Adios. For mid period, I'd go with SJ and TTTD.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.