Denon Dl-110 phono cart

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikeJedi, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fixed!! . Had to use the headshell leads that came with my new Technics headshell ! Guess the Denon didn't like the AT ohno cast headshell leads. Lol! Man this cart rocks !! Breaking it in now !!! Perfect balance IMO. No too dull but not screechy bright. Exactly what I wanted !! Thanks so much all for your help. !! Enjoying some SH CCR 180g test pressing right now!!! Love it!!! Great mids and bass too just perfect. I would think it will only get Better from here with 40 hour breaking in period!

Shak Cohen, fitzrik, james and 4 others like this.
  2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Needledropped the last three Zeppelin reissues with my DL-110 and flat-out got better-sounding files than the Autorip digital files provided by Amazon. Bigger soundstage and more bass.

I'm loving this cart.

Daniel Thomas, c-eling and MikeJedi like this.
  3. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

I'm sending my 16 year old DL-304 off to be re-tipped. Consequently I put my spare DL110 on the turntable and was amazed at how great it sounds. Huge soundstage, excellent clarity, and no IGD at all. A really excellent cartridge.

My turntable is a Thorens TD160 Super with a Rega RB300 arm.

Enjoy!

Bill Why Man and MikeJedi like this.
  4. MikeJedi

It really is amazing. I almost can't believe how great it is! No IGD, awesome soundstage , wonderfully balanced!

Shak Cohen and Gretsch6136 like this.
  5. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

I run my 110 at 1.55g. My AT440mLA tracks at 1.4g on the same table. I run the antiskate near 0 with both.

c-eling likes this.
  6. MikeJedi

ended up setting antiskate at 1.8 and tracking force at 1.8... thanks for the help ! It seems to sound really nice.. i am sure i have more breaking in to do... :)

BuddhaBob likes this.
  7. Gretsch6136

Mine tracks at 1.75 and I set the antiskate using an ungrooved record.

8. Gretsch6136

MikeJedi likes this.
  9. MikeJedi

There's been a few tracks that sound somewhat constricted but I am guessing since this is only the 4th full record I've got a lot of breaking in to do before it reaches it's full potential !

10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Bear in mind that those congested-sounding tracks could very well sound congested with ANY carts. Sometimes it's the pressing, not the cart.

MikeJedi likes this.
  11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

So I installed the new Audacity, but I still can't make for sure the vert resonant frequency. Any guesses (RB 300).

[​IMG]

12. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Which one is at 11hz?

13. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

You can downsample to lower sample rates to further zoom in on the lowest frequencies. Maybe remove the rumble filter for this test as well.

14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Yes, this is without the rumble filter. ELO, Boy Blue—so music not pink noise. I did downsample and it did create a more generalized form. Maybe in another thread, but it was mentioned that you could locate the vertical harmonic frequency, and also mentioned that the vertical was seen as a higher frequency, but not but by a few kHz. Maybe at 13 Hz? IDK.

15. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Are you sure that's lower than 44100 sample rate (or whatever the track's recorded at)? Downsample to 22050 or 16000 for example and that first peak should get better resolution.

16. MikeJedi

Been playing more stuff , on the CCR test pressing I swear I am hearing more detail and deeper bass than when I played it the first time the other day , ah the joys of cartridge break in!! My journey has just begun .. Cause I have many many more hours before this has final break in ! Love it!

Bill Why Man, BuddhaBob and Ben Adams like this.
  17. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Has anyone tried this with a Lounge LCR phono? I'm curious about HOMC carts, but I don't have any loading options.

18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

It should go well with the Lounge. I have a HOMC Goldring Eroica hooked up to my Lounge and it's really great. I used to have a Denon DL-110 in place while the Goldring was out of commission for a year, but was using my receiver's MM phono input at that time. I like the 110 very much and will likely use it again one day. I recall I'd noticed a change in sound before I stopped using it. I think the stylus had sustained enough wear from play that it became evident to my ears. I'll probably send it to The Soundsmith for the $250 mid-level line contact stylus with ruby cantilever which is what I did with my Goldring Eroica.

BTW, As far as break in goes, my experience was it took around 30+ hours and I noticed a big improvement in sonics.

MikeJedi likes this.
  19. MikeJedi

Should work with a MM input on a seperate phono pre. The lounge is nice for the money. I spoke with the designer and listened to it at the Newport show. I love my parasound zphono which is great for the money as well !!

20. MikeJedi

Man oh man The Dan "pretzel logic" I can't believe it. ! My jaw is on the floor already and this thing isn't even fully broken in yet!! Huge improvement over my old AT440mla. So much more balanced and analog sounding! But the detail is still there!!

Old Rusty, Ben Adams, james and 2 others like this.
  21. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

With the DL-110, are poster here using it for LPs from the 60s to nowadays, or do you change it out for other carts more suitable to earlier eras?

22. I use my DL-110 on LPs from the 50's onward & they all sound great. It's also killer for 45rpm singles!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MikeJedi, marcfeld69 and BuddhaBob like this.
  23. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Clean? No major gouges? The DL-110 does a great job on anything 33 1/3 or 45rpm. Almost all my needledrops are with the DL-110, from '50s Red Label through 2015 new pressings. If I might only have those needledrops and no records some future day I won't regret it.

floweringtoilet and Ben Adams like this.
  24. marcfeld69

25. marcfeld69

Very nice. I actually don't doubt you can play the 110 on almost anything, but I started using it mainly for newer records recently because I don't have an MC phono stage. I bought a low-end (ART PRO DJ) to bring up the volume at bit but using other styli has helped more for earlier records. Anyway, I don't really have a problem except switching out styli to accommodate different records is a bit of a pain and I may not be getting optimum settings for each cart. I set my VT load to 1.8 and the same for the anti-skate (which I think is ideal for the DL-110).

My ears aren't anywhere nearly as sensitive as most poster's on this thread - I seem to be only able to judge differences in volume level, but I am a bit of a novice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.