Michael Jackson - 'Off The Wall' ORIGINAL MIX matrix numbers (info please.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi!

Yes, as per this http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/off-the-wall-best-mastering.275674/ and many other threads about the album in question, it looks as if the original mixes of Rock With You and Get On The Floor are both only on the original Japanese CD (I've yet to see anything other than someone say this but that's what I've been reading...) And this JPN CD is going for a pretty penny these days as it is something of a rarity, compared to early US & UK versions and their later incarnations.

So here, I wanted to ask solely about the LP - because early pressings have the two Original LP mixes, as opposed to the slightly later 7" single remixes. The question(s) then is what are the matrix numbers for the LPs that contain the original versions? US and UK please. I've seen some of the matrix numbers listed in another thread after some digging, but didn't see the UK one - and that's the one I'm interested in as I see multiple copies of the LP from time to time and well, without playing it...

:tiphat:

Many thanks

Ian.

2. OneStepBeyond

3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

There was the original 35 8P-2 (Japan-for-Japan, Japan-for-US?) and the CDEPC-83468 (Japan-for-Europe?), both hard-to-find and thus expensive.

Ahead of the Bad initial release in 1987, Sony Japan re-released Off The Wall as catalogue number (and matrix number) 32 8P-223. This release also contain the original mix, and is somewhat easier to find, and cheaper.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  4. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Same mastering?

5. OneStepBeyond

Good question; different catalogue number might imply so - and I forgot all about this thread*... didn't even get an 'original' LP pressing either. Looks like I forgot. :shh:

(*Looks like I didn't get the notification of the post from August last year.)

6. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I would love to get my hands on that original 35 8P-2 CD mastering but just can't justify breaking the bank for it.

7. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I have an original copy of the vinyl without handclaps on "Rock With You". I'm sure my sister bought this copy as soon as it was released. It's one of my best sounding LPs.

Here's the deadwax on my US (FE 35745) copy:

Side 1: T1 PAL 35745-2AE
    Side 2: 5XT PBL 35745-2AD

SteveS1 and OneStepBeyond like this.
  8. Naughty Chord

That 5XT on side 2 might be SXT? Not 100% sure.

9. rxcory

I'm not sure as I don't have the 35 8P to compare it to. I do know that both use the original mix. If anyone has the 35 8P and wants to compare, PM me.

10. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Does yours have pre-emphasis?

11. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

A rip of this is playing right now, great sound and original mixes. It doesn't get better. :)

Naughty Chord likes this.
  12. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Believe it - a sign the metal part in question was used at one time or another, regardless of sequential order, by all three of Columbia's plants - Santa Maria ('S'), Pitman (oft an etched 'X' in the deadwax), and Terre Haute ('T').

13. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I have a copy without the hand claps on Rock With You. I'm not at home though so I can't tell you the wax info. I was disappointed too when I got it, I prefer the later version with the handclaps.

14. Naughty Chord

Thanks for that. Interesting to know.

15. rxcory

None of the 32DP/32 8P series contain pre-emphasis as they were rolled out a few years after the 35DP/35 8P series.

16. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

It must be a different mastering then. I'm pretty sure the 35 8P-2 has pre-emphasis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.