Was any kind of official ban on swearing on records lifted at any point?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

George Carlin isn't around anymore to hear the way people speak so his opinion is a bit too dated.

2. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

The more the swearing, the more kids want it.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

When they played Money on AM radio here they edited a cash register over the swear word. When they played Thick as a Brick they deleted the line about the 'sperm in the gutter'

lightbulb likes this.
  4. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

and the more people realize that words are just words, and there's no reason to be afraid of any of them. Thankfully we are (slowly) losing that puritanism that has gripped the country for so long. Can't happen soon enough.

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

There was never a ban on swearing on record. They did start 'Parental Advisory' stickers some years ago which point to swear words being used. However mainstream radio won't play tracks with swear words (BBC never) to this day. This has gone to the extent of broadcast versions being changed. The Beautiful South had a hit record called 'Don't Marry Him (have me). In fact the unedited version is 'Don't Marry Him (F*** me). Can't see that version making the radio.

6. !!

Several cases too of F-bombs (spoken, at normal speed) on The Mothers' "Uncle Meat" (April '69, Bizarre/Reprise).

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe this led to the Pye label in Britain refusing to release the album (it appeared instead on the Transatlantic label).

ParloFax likes this.
  8. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

NWA's Straight Outta Compton had insane amounts of cursing. But this was 1988. Many out there were offended by the profanity as well as the violent subject matter. To me, cussing became passe after that album.

But with that being said, look at comedy records. Red Foxx, Richard Pryor, George Carlin. I'm sure some of us learned to cuss thanks to these geniuses.

9. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Exactly. Many folks seem to think a lot of American taboos were first obliterated in the mid to late 60's.

Hardly. Check out some history on the "Roaring 20's". Good Times!

10. JimD

JimD Forum Resident

"Don't marry her... f*** me."

This is a lady singing.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  11. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Someone probably mentioned it, but "Who Are You?" predated that.

12. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Some people have expressed difficulty hearing the bit in "Hey Jude" - will this help?

It starts right before the 3 minute mark. It will be different depending on what you're listening from.

"Remember to let her under your ("got the wrong CHORD!")/skin, then you'll ("f**kin' hell")/be-gin..."
    That's how I've always heard it. Most people do hear it as "OH!/Come on!" but crank up the volume and determine it for yourself.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  13. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Nonsense. A good quote is a good quote no matter if it's originator is around or not.

crispi, RubenH and progrocker71 like this.
  14. Harvest Your Thoughts

Then it's definitely not an example of a good quote...

15. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Still applies. Timeless.

RubenH and aroney like this.
  16. Harvest Your Thoughts

So why do people get so worked up when you say various words like ****, **** and ****** ????

17. daytripper09

daytripper09 Well-Known Member

I also remember the free speech rallies in Berkeley, back in '64, when students were demanding the right to say things that others might not like.

18. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Bobby Fuller Four - I Fought the Law stereo mix - "miss my baby and the good fun" on one channel, you hear a different word for fun on the other channel (not on the mono mix).

krock2009 likes this.
  19. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

If you check out the recordings of 'Texas Dan' by Carson Robison on YouTube you will only find a version where near the end he says '....a tooth for a tooth and an eye for an eye/And I don't care if I live or die'....but I have a copy of the song on Conqueror* 8488 (recorded January 1935) where he clearly said ''cause I don't give a damn if I live or die'.

Here's the passage: https://app.box.com/s/wkh0907atw47eebuds4ivbnfp5ngfylq

*A record label produced by the American Record Corporation circa late 1920s to circa 1942 for Sears.

20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

That is exactly what I am alluding to, as well as other times in history in general.
    In the united states one of the major factors is who is head of the FCC and who they were appointed by.

21. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

The version where you hear 'do-goody good bull----' (the last bit of the vocal disappearing, the music all there) was clever editing at Capitol by none other than the late John Palladino.

krock2009 likes this.
  22. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

When exactly did words such as "damn", "hell", "ass", and "bitch" become permissible on radio?

23. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

They also took out the word "damn" at the end.

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

You definitely couldn't hear it there either. In fact you couldn't hear it at all until the remastered San Quentin album came out.

krock2009 likes this.
  25. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

A couple of years ago i got the EP for an old Vietnam Vet friend of mine , man he was pissed when it beeped out the
    swearing . At San Quentin has the same problem , so i get him a copy of Starportrait and it happens again ,
    all he could mumble was " the horror , the horror " :winkgrin:

Mylene and krock2009 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.