2015 -- "Best" Stand-alone SACD player under $500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sjerseydad22, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

So...a poke in the eye...nicely done.

2. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Sorry but you've lost me.

D.D.

CBackley likes this.
  3. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Well, those may be your expectations and your definitions. However, since the first such device was offered, the definition of an SACD player is a disc spinner that can read the DSD (DST) tracks on an SACD. Almost all the original ones did convert to PCM but they, and their modern counterparts, are SACD players.

The point you raise is quite important and should not be ignored.

Not always. Some of us prefer to play SACD converted to PCM so that we can take advantage of digital roomEQ.

Robin L, Brother_Rael and Erik Tracy like this.
  4. donluca

donluca Active Member

Good point, I never thought about that.

5. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing that out....TBH I didn't even check.
    Despite that.......the OP may still be interested though.
    As I mentioned.......there's not much around for $500!!!

Cheers

6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Crap. Sorry!! Just assumed they were globally available. My error.

7. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

You're kidding!!

I take it someone got slapped in the face whilst attempting DSOTM!!

That is woeful.........what purpose can it serve??

8. sjerseydad22

sjerseydad22 Member Thread Starter

9. sjerseydad22

10. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I sent a carefully worded e-mail to TEAC regarding whether the CD1000 can decode DSD to analog without the conversion to PCM first. Two months later, I got a murky e-mail from TEAC saying the CD1000 send the DSD bitstream directly to its DAC. That was it. I take that as a PCM conversion is involved.

11. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Yes, it's actually written in the specs. Only their higher models offers real DSD. But some companies don't offer DSD even on really expensive models, Luxman if I'm not wrong offers top of the line, very expensive SACD player without real DSD, obviously it's some trend.

12. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Have one also as a back-up if my Oppo 80 craps out, handles SACD nicely :cheers:

13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Oh really?! I read Accuphase SACD players do the PCM conversion as well.

Luckily, I grabbed my self a Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi for $150 when they were being cleared out of inventory. I have a Sony DVP-775NS as a spare. Nonetheless, I'm still thinking of getting a refurbished Oppo 105 whenever they're available.

14. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It doesn't serve any purpose other than to annoy. Something to do with the drive/processing they selected.

15. sjerseydad22

Does it make an audible difference if the player outputs DSD without PCM conversion?

16. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

---------------------------That is not true. I have 3 older Sony DVP-NS 755 V DVD/SACD/CD players and the SACD layer has always sounded better than the CD layer on players up to $1500. These players were rated just below the esteemed 777, what I could afford and glad I bought them. I would take the $600 OPPO player in SACD for sure. Unless it was the Norah Jones SACD and we all know what that was.

And, those Sony players do a great job of playing my own burned 2496 wav files and they sound excellent.

17. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

If you are talking about analog output, the answer is probably yes but the differences will be small.
    If you are talking about digital output, the answer will depend on what you do with the signal afterwards.

18. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Well not my experience or that of friends with Oppos and who own decent CD players.
    The CD layer when played on both my Sony CDP715 and Krell KAV300CD sounded much better than the SACD layer on the Esoteric DV50 [that was a $5000 universal player] as well as a selection of other cheapish SACD players.

On really good SACD /CD players like the Accuphase DP77 ,DP700 and DP720 ,the Vitus 101 and the Esoteric non universal players the SACD layer on some recordings do sound better than the CD but the difference is still very slight and I have come to the conclusion not worth bothering with given the limited music selection available on SACD.
    Better to spend the money on a really good dedicated CD player or DAC and stick to Redbook CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.