Why does the average music listener only want to hear the hits?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 2trackmind, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I got told at my first concert at age 14 by a blue haired grandma that "If y'all don't play Old Time Rock and Roll, y'all ain't S*%#!!!!!"

2. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The biggest crowds I ever saw was when I played in a cover band that did A mix of modern pop-country (Jason Aldean, Blake Shelton, etc) and classic rock(Led Zeppelin, Eagles, etc)...

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

For a lot of bands, the best songs are the hits. It's more about the band than about the listener.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I must be an individual too. I don't have any music at all, let alone all the albums, of The Average White Band.

5. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with it. Just don't ruin it for us fanatics. :)

6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

It's the easiest way to get into a music artist. Listen to the hits first than branch out to their albums.

7. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

When I used to work in a record store, an older gentleman who appeared to be pushing sixty asked where the Louis Jordan CDs were. He was raving about what a Louis Jordan fanatic he was. I pointed him towards the blues section, where Jordan had his own divider card.

Mr. Louis Jordan Fanatic returned from the section empty-handed. "None of those CDs have any songs I know!"

Well then, guess you're not a fan.

I could see if it was an educated guess - like maybe he didn't buy anything because the songs were recorded after his heyday, or something like that, but he couldn't be honest with himself. Claiming to be somebody's #1 Fan yet only wanting to hear "the songs I know" is sorta like the musical equivalent of being a fairweather friend.

troggy likes this.
  8. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have been going to concerts this year with a group of educated, intelligent, successful adults. Their consistent criteria for evaluating the quality of
    any concert by any artist in any genre is "how many of the songs did I already know."' They took me to a concert Ina genre of music which they know is not my favorite. They often leaned over to me with concerned looks, asking anxiously if I "already knew"'any of the songs. They were worried that I did not.

So I know that some people enjoy music that way.

9. ganma

ganma Senior Member

ralphb likes this.
  10. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician.

People are animals that like first to play and than to work. Playing is an unconscious effort. Working is a conscious effort. Listening to familiar songs is like playing. Listening to unknown music is like work. You have to invest and we rather do that when we play...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.