What is the oldest CD that you own?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John54

John54 Senior Member

My first CD was Nursery Cryme by Genesis, after I bought my CD player in 1988. Five of my first six were Genesis or Moody Blues; the other was Forever Changes by Love.

2. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Hmm... There may be older recordings in terms of release date, but the CD that I've had longest is Poi Dog Pondering's eponymous debut. Bought it new in 1989 and have owned it ever since. It's not particularly great, and I don't listen to it often, but it was the soundtrack to an amazing summer, so I've kept it. It's the one disc I know I'll never get rid of.

3. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I have half a dozen target discs - a couple Fleetwood Mac, Pretenders, Donald Fagen, others.
    I have The Digital Domain and Abba - The Visitor.
    I have black triangle 'Dark Side Of The Moon' and 'Abbey Road'.
    I have some japanese pressed discs like 'The Unforgettable Fire', '90125'. That latter one I have a West German press as well.
    I bought Velvet Underground & Nico in 1986.
    I have 6 of the David Bowie RCA titles.

Were any of these issued after The Beatles' discs in 1986? I'm not sure but I think they are all older than that. I bought those Beatles discs first run too from 1986-87.

4. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

My very first cd purchases in 1985.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Plus Pictures at an Exhibition on Philips Silver Line Classics, that delivered both orchestra and solo piano performances.

5. aquaman

aquaman Well-Known Member

BOSTON Third Stage.
    Bought when released in 1986 I guess it was.

6. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

All of these were from a Columbia House Sign-up in 1990. I didn't even have a cd player when I got all of these.

Metallica . . . And Justice For One
    CCR -Chronicles Vol 1 and 2
    Jimi Hendrix Experience Are You Experienced?
    Beethoven Symphony 5, Loren Maazel
    Led Zeppelin II
    Santana -Viva Santana (which counted as two selections. bummer. although a nice compilation)
    The Doors (?)
    One or two more that I can't remember. This was 25 years ago, after all.

7. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

The oldest CD I own?

CP35-3017 1A1 TO
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon.

I believe this is the first, original run with the pre-emphasis if I'm not mistaken. I bought it about a year ago but the disc was made in 1983.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I stole the following picture from eBay:

[​IMG]

It is a sampler on the RealTime jazz label. The disc above was pressed in the U.S., but I found an early Japanese CBS/Sony pressing in the bins last week. Note that the disc above has the conventional aluminum color. The CBS/Sony pressing I found is gold on the label side, like CBS/Sony 35DP discs pressed in 1982. This disc also has the matrix code stamped in the early CBS/Sony crude font ("RT-2002-3 1A1"). The inserts with the RealTime sampler are dated 1982, so I am guessing that the CBS/Sony pressing is from '82.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Dave S likes this.
  9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Related to the above post, here are two Vivaldi CDs on the Delos label. The first one is an early Japanese CBS/Sony pressing. Note the gold tone. The second disc is a later Japanese CBS/Sony pressing. Both discs have the neat CBS/Sony matrix code font, but the first disc (gold) has the matrix code in an earlier format. The matrix code on the first disc is "D/CD-3007-1 1A1", while the matrix code on the second disc is "D/CD 3007 11A2".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave S likes this.
  10. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

Nope, I wasn't even born yet when the cd was released, I got it about a year ago, I spotted it inside of a Pink Floyd cd lot on ebay, the ad said in the title that it had a rare Japanese Floyd disc in it but I wasn't expecting this of all discs to be in it before I clicked on the ad, I ended up getting the disc along with 15 other common Floyd discs for about $70 total.

mdm08033 likes this.
  11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Thanks for sharing your story.

12. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This is the oldest CD I own: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail (Blue Face disc, made in the UK printed on booklet and CD, no barcode).
    Awful artwork, but a nice sounding disc (no dropouts, present instead on the V/C discs).
    I can't date it exactly, but it should be from 1984/85.

Dave S, OneStepBeyond and c-eling like this.
  13. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Not sure of the physically oldest cd in my collection, but the first cd I ever bought was "Love Life" by Berlin.

Dave S and davers like this.
  14. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Paul McCartney "Give My Regards to Broad Street". Bought it when it came out in 1984 and before I had a CD player because of exclusive bonus tracks. Guess I was still optimistic about being a complete collector. I gave that up years ago, fortunately. They are trying to fish you in with the new "Flowers in the Dirt" box set this year with exclusive downloads and thanks but no thanks. :)

forthlin and Galley like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Sweet Dreams" and "Touch" by Eurythmics on RCA. These are from 1984.

mdm08033 and davers like this.
  16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I got my first CD player for Xmas of 1987. Knowing I was getting it I bought a handful of CDs in advance:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mdm08033 likes this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I went to the very 1st Stereophile trade show in the 80's. Chesky Records was there and I bought 2 of their very 1st CD releases by Luis Bonfa and Ana Caram. These things were so hot off the presses they didn't have their Cd artwork/packaging yet, they sold the discs by themselves!

Galley and timind like this.
  18. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Queen ‎– The Works
    EMI ‎– CDP 7 46016 2

mdm08033 likes this.
  19. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Abbey Road - Emi Toshiba

mdm08033 likes this.
  20. timind

timind phorum rezident

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, CK 33453, Columbia from 1983. I bought it used years ago.
    The first cd I bought was John Cougar Mellencamp - Scarecrow. Bought this when it was released in 85.

21. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

November 1987-Compact Disc #1 was Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd, black face Toshiba Japanese pressing. I still have it.

mdm08033 likes this.
  22. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Raging raging raging. Burning in my room

[​IMG]

Fullbug and mdm08033 like this.
  23. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I got the following CDs free for buying a Toshiba CD player in 1984. I had to go about 30 miles to where the CD store was, since my town and the town where I purchased the CD player didn't have any CD stores.

Supertramp - Breakfast in America
    Linda Ronstadt - Greatest Hits Vol. 2
    The Doors (s/t)
    Neil Young - Harvest
    and a DG release of Ravel's Bolero

I still have the entire group, but the CD player died about 15 years ago.

Dave S likes this.
  24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

By oldest, I'm going with the first CDs I purchased:
    • "Voice Of The Heart" by the Carpenters
    • "Blow Your Own Horn" by Herb Alpert

M321115 likes this.
  25. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

This was my first cd bought in 1986 immediately after buying my first CD player. Still have it to but doesn't get any play due to picking up the SACD version when it first came out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.