Do I need to replace my 2010 AVR if I get a 3D player and TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bluemooze, Jul 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

My (limited) understanding is that the AVR can't pass the 3D HDMI to the TV. :( Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. bluemooze

OK, based on my internet searches I'm pretty certain that the AVR will have to be replaced if I go 3D.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

3D is pretty much dead, are you just dying to watch something in particular, in 3D?

Rufus McDufus and Vidiot like this.
  4. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Connect your TV directly from your Blu-Ray HDMI and use a different output on your Blu-Ray to send audio to your AVR.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That was my reaction as well: 3D TV sold very poorly, and the current push from manufacturers and studio is 4K (more properly, UHD) -- roughly 4 times the resolution of HD. After that, they're talking about high dynamic range material where screens will be at least 10 times brighter than current screens, along with Rec2020, which will provide roughly 20% greater color range than current sets.

SamS likes this.
  6. bluemooze

I've been buying 3D movies in anticipation of being able to watch them that way someday. Those I've seen at the movie theater have been very enjoyable. Is it that people don't like wearing the glasses?

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Pretty much.

8. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

Do this. I personally use the optical output from my blu-ray player. You don't have to listen to the haters. There's plenty of 3d out there to enjoy.

kevywevy, Mr. E. Tramp and darkmass like this.
  9. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Yeah, the haters seem to fall off the trees. They are welcome to their opinion, but I didn't get the memo. I like 3D at home not because of some supposed salvation of the TV industry...I like the option of watching 3D at home as well as in the theater.

Now on to your specific question. I have a Sony 3D LCD TV, a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player, and a Tivo DVR (with paid-up "lifetime" subscription) I use for off-the-air recording.

The TV has four HDMI inputs, and I use them all, but one runs from my Blu-ray player, and a different HDMI runs from the Tivo. I can watch either the Blu-ray player or the Tivo at will. The TV certainly understands 2D as well as it does 3D, so it's happy with whatever is sent over one of the HDMIs. If there was 3D broadcasting I couldn't DVR that in 3D, but for my situation that is no handicap whatsoever. Either 2D or 3D Blu-ray discs work exactly as they should.

Oh, and it's still not unusual for new 3D movies to get released as 3D Blu-rays. You might need to make use of Amazon or something if you cannot find them stocked locally.

Derek Gee, bluemooze and Mr. E. Tramp like this.
  10. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Just connect your Bluray directly to the TV via HDMI and use an alternative audio output from the Bluray player to the AVR.

The only drawback with this is that you won't have automated input switching on the TV when you switch inputs on the. AVR. You'll need to manually set both components to their respective inputs for the Bluray player.

You may potentially have a time mis-match between the picture and sound this way too. That can usually be adjusted in the menu of the Bluray too.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. bluemooze

I have purchased 3D movies from Amazon UK when they weren't available in the US. (Frozen and Maleficent for example) Haven't watched them at home in 3D yet.

Derek Gee likes this.
  12. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Whoops, I misread your "AVR" as "DVR". Oppo Blu-ray players (and maybe a few others) have two HDMI outputs. When that's the case, it's possible to run one of the HDMIs to the TV for 2D/3D display, and run the other HDMI to your AVR for sound (and video).

Assuming any 3D TV you get has at least two HDMI inputs, you could have one HDMI run from the Blu-ray player straight to the TV (for pure video) and another HDMI line run from the Blu-ray player to the AVR (primarily for sound, but also as a video alternative), with the HDMI from the AVR running to one of the TV alternate HDMI inputs. For anything non-3D you should be pretty much able to run things just as you do currently. Then for 3D, just put a 3D disc in the Blu-ray player and switch the TV to the HDMI line that comes directly from the Blu-ray player. (The AVR would still play all the sound you are accoustomed to, it's just that you would be bypassing the video portion of it with the "dedicated 3D video line HDMI".) When you are done watching a 3D disc, just switch the TV back to the HDMI line that comes directly fron your AVR.

Modern TVs typically allow fully independent adjustment of each input. So I'd think you'd have no particular video mismatch issues.

It sounds like you are on top of things for getting 3D Blu-ray discs. I too ordered a 3D Maleficient from Amazon UK.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My personal belief is that it's because you lose about 75% of the image brightness due to losses in the polarized glasses. A 3D film also can't be watched casually, while you're talking to your family, or surfing the web, or texting, or doing other things; it requires pretty much 100% of your concentration. I'm not convinced average people are willing to do that anymore.

14. bluemooze

Thanks for the clear directions. :righton:

15. bluemooze

I agree with you; the conditions you list are acceptable to me. 3D delights me, and in my present state of retired geezerhood that's something I value. :)

kevywevy likes this.
  16. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

This is what I did. I had to buy a better Sony BD player w/ two HDMI outputs, but it was around $250 and was a lot cheaper than buying a new AVR.

17. My Samsung Plasma goes brighter in 3D mode (or maybe the 3D discs are manufactured to be brighter), I assume to make up for that. I find 3D can be too dark in the theatre but generally it looks just fine at home to me.

BTW, I just bought Jupiter Ascending in 3D so the format is not dead. Often stupidly expensive, but not dead. And it seems my local Best Buy puts a rack of 3D movies on sale about once every two months. I'm still quite enjoying 3D at home.

darkmass and bluemooze like this.
  18. bluemooze

Good point. :edthumbs:

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The flaw is, the monitor can only get so bright before the highlights bloom and lose detail. And if the monitor isn't calibrated (which is not easy in 3D), chances are you're seeing pictures far different from what the filmmakers wanted you to see.

That's great... but it's still a dead format in terms of what's successful. Let's put it this way: I would bet 3D Blu-rays have about 1% the sales of vinyl LPs in 2015.

High Dynamic Range, 4K, Rec2020... these are real things that are going to happen. 3D... not so much.

SamS likes this.
  20. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Interesting. I myself buy things because they suit my needs and desires...not because they are "real things that are going to happen".

Oh, I think you left curved screens out of your list. :)

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Thank god, LG and Samsung got so many complaints about the curved screens they're now starting to offer flat 4K models. The curved screens were an abomination.

Rufus McDufus and darkmass like this.
  22. bluemooze

I am enraptured with my new 3D TV. Sad to see this wonderful technology not catching on.

Derek Gee and darkmass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.