JRiver will not do 4.1 surround?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rodney sherman, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I downloaded an album that was 5 channels and JRiver always will tell me that playback cannot start at 88.2 kHz 5 ch but 88.2 KHz 2 ch will work. I have downloads that are 6 channels in 5.1 and have no problems at all with playing them in surround. I have JRiver output format box checked and have speaker settings set to source number of channels. Is there a problem with JRiver not being compatible with 5 channels in 4.1?

2. rodney sherman

3. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I have had this same problem trying to play the original Pink Floyd 4.0 releases from the Immersion box sets that I ripped to Multi-Channel WAV and FLAC. I have not been able to get them to play with Jriver, same as your issue, and have not found a solution yet, hopefully somebody here can figure this one out.

4. rodney sherman

Let's contact JRIVER and see if they can update their media center player to do 4.1 because the download I have is 4.1 and I can't play it and I should be able to you would think. I downloaded a double DSD multi channel album from NativeDSD and converted it to 88.2 kHz 24 bit and can verify that it is in 5 channel and JRiver defaults to playing it in 2 channel. :sigh:

5. rodney sherman

I wonder if I set J River to 5.1 in the speaker settings if it will play that way and just send the sound to the proper channels? I will try it and report back.

6. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Is this as a dnla server or DAC connection?

7. rodney sherman

This is a DAC connection (HDMI from computer to Onkyo reciever.

8. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Think you'll have to select JRiver to convert to 5.1 on output rather than source number of channels.

9. rodney sherman

Go to DSP settings and click output format - speaker settings and set Jriver to 5.1. this will automatically put the receiver in 5.1 regardless of the source material. I now have surround but I believe it is 5 channel to the speakers minus the subwoofer but the sub is still active by default in my receiver settings.

10. rodney sherman

Funny. I have 6 channel downloads from 2L.no and the receiver will automatically go into 5.1 surround. Not sure why being minus one channel would cause this issue but I fixed it!

ZenArcher likes this.
  11. rodney sherman

Sounds like real surround as I don't have Jriver set to Pseudo - surround and no mixing or down mixing on settings.

Colin M likes this.
  12. rodney sherman

I will report this finding. Set JRiver's JRSS to on and then you can adjust the subwoofer to become active. Also I can see at the bottom of the DSP studio screen it says source is 88.2kHz 24bit 5 ch and the internal is 88.2kHz 64bit 6ch. The analyzer shows all 6 channels are active with sound.

13. rodney sherman

Also this was a R, C, L, RS, and LS recording. No subwoofer so the JRSS setting added that .1 that was missing and what is neat about this is I can eq the sub for more lower bass and make the recording of this organ shake everything. The recording is called The Steinmeyer organ in the Nidaros Cathedral by Magne H. Draagen.

14. rodney sherman

Wow. I can convert 5 channels into 5.1 and add bass and treble to the conversions. Jriver keeps shocking me with what it can do!

15. rodney sherman

I added the double DSD surround files to the conversion list and converted them to 88.2khz. I never new that I could create a subwoofer channel during the conversion, but JRiver will do it!

16. Steve Bennett

Steve Bennett New Member

There are a couple of things to try to playback 4.0 in JRiver. I have always got them to play using this method.
    Go to the DSP studio. (there are several ways to get there) Under Channels change from "source number of channels" to 4.0. This also works if 7.1 material will not play. You can go in and change it to 7.1. If this does not work for the 4.0 material (sometimes it does not because the material might actually be encoded as 5.1 and they just don't put material in the center or sub channel. Try changing it from "source number of channels" to 5.1 This worked for me today with a Chicago Transit Authority Album.

I hope this helps.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I would of expected that going HDMI out to a receiver that one would not be bothering with settings in JRiver, and that the amp/receiver settings would be more a determining factor of proper decoding. The DAC should get a pure digital signal flow with no alterations or so it used to be, was the ticket? Not with surround and HDMI?

18. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It works for me with Foobar. I have all kinds of multichannel Flac files (4.0, 5.0 and of course 5.1) and Foobar just sends them to my Oppo via HDMI with no problems and no extra settings neccessary.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought it sounded off that you would screw around in JRiver with speaker settings if you are going with bit perfect output. The job of JRiver is to not mess around with anything digitally, it's just like Foobar in that respect.

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, I'm a little surprised as well, after what I heard about JRiver.

21. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I leave jRiver set at 5.1 permanently and it handles all my files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.