First Record Cleaning Machine

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richbdd01, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Hey, that looks really great. I'm going to order one, I reckon. For when I get tired of a manual ...
    DD

2. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I have a friend in Sao Paulo who has one of these and it does every bit as good of a job as my VPI 16.5 does.

3. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Only thing to mention is I just had to get a power plug adapter.

4. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

The Okki Nokki or the Moth RCM are probably the best value cleaners available in the UK. Neither are cheap however. The Moth is available in 'kit' form but you do have to be a reasonably competent DIYer to put the think together (and you have to make your own cabinet...). I've made two in my time...

There has been talk of a ProJect RCM which will apparently retail at significantly less than either. I've no idea when it is likely to be available though...

5. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Upgraded to the Cyclone from the 16.5 after 24 years of service. September 2014, Sold my beautiful 16.5 for $200 as it had a weak vacuum

sean

6. Urban_boogie

Urban_boogie Well-Known Member

I started with a Spin Clean, and quickly realized that I would prefer a vacuum RCM... I spent more time studying these than any other piece in my entire setup. My specific needs: limited time for listening, and I couldn't see dedicating time ever to just setup and clean. The only real solutions for me then are something I could use while listening... IMHO Loricraft wins hands down.

royzak2000 likes this.
  7. Jay_S

Jay_S Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Record Doctor. It's simple, inexpensive, effective, and the vacuum is quite noisy. I have an old one that still works great. This machine is 100% manual but it is easy to use and you have great control over the cleaning process.

CCrider92 likes this.
  8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I totally agree with this!

9. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

Was going to buy a Spin Clean but after reading this thread I might just go for the Record Doctor, if I can get it shipped to Sweden.

10. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

12. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I've had my Record Doctor for about 9 years now. Today 3 45's that I ordered arrived in the mail. In terms of filth they were disaster areas. A bit of time with the RD and they look nearly new.

13. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Another vote for the Record Doctor. It's simple, inexpensive, effective

CCrider92 likes this.
  14. Jay_S

Jay_S Well-Known Member

Well said!

CCrider92 likes this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys

From doing a bit of research over the last week or so, ive narrowed my options down to either the Okki Nokki or the Moth cleaning machine.

I see the Moth comes as a DIY kit. This would end up being about a hundred less than the Okki Nokki and so i am seriously considering this. What do you guys think?...the Moth seems much more reasonable to me and i just want something that can do the job.

Also to consider, how difficult is the Moth to assemble? Does anyone have this model? It seems pretty good value.

Cheers

Rich

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  16. richbdd01

Dont all answer all once... :winkgrin:

17. G E

G E Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    richbdd01 likes this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Okki Nokki RCM. Basically a budget Clearaudio machine. Does a fine job and cheaper and quieter than Moth and other alternatives. (£450)

19. richbdd01

What about the record doctor V? Just seen this, but im not sure if its just US so might cost a bit to ship but seems cheap and has a vacuum?

20. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I posted earlier that I still use my Record Doctor III - works fine.

I have replaced the felt 'lips' but that was cheap and easy.

The Record Doctors are manual though, so if you want automatic, you'll have to step up to a different machine, but then you have to deal with tubes and wands and such.

CCrider92 likes this.
  21. richbdd01

Sorry been skimming over the thread due to work commitments the last few days, i saw it a while after i posted it. Thanks for the advice. I dont mind manual too much i guess. I wonder how much to ship to UK as i will have to factor that in....

22. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

A 'wash' for any other choice shipped to the UK I would think (bad pun intended) :laugh:

richbdd01 likes this.
  23. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Poison_Flour likes this.
  24. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.