Olivia Newton-John. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingrommel

kingrommel Forum Resident

Ive seen it several times - a few times at school (part of music class) - and as it was like 10 years after it was made, this was amusing 50's stuff that perhaps was on the cheesy side (from a 14 years old boy this applies!)

Also - Ive seen it a few times since with a girlfriend or something but im usually not turned on to 50's music as a whole so it didnt do a lot for me - apart from perhaps some of olivias music (and visuals at times). :)

Bobby Morrow, Jarleboy and Scopitone like this.
  2. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

At least they have the front and back photos. Not so sure about gatefold/inner sleeve photos being present. I´ll check when I dig them out.

kingrommel and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. kingrommel

Whats this song from? - She does look stunning here btw!

4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

It's her exclusive track from the Unicef concert.

kingrommel likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't think the jewel cased editions generally do have full artwork. That's why I asked.

Lucky old @kingrommel. @Diablo Griffin's going to be so jealous.:D

DiabloG, Jarleboy and kingrommel like this.
  6. Jarleboy

The Concert for Unicef in 1979... Initiated by the Bee Gees, I think and many famous contributed the royalties to chosen songs - ABBA gave the royalties to "Chiquitita", Bee Gees "Too Much Heaven", Rod Stewart "Do Ya Think I´m Sexy" and so on. A long time before Band Aid etc, and in aid of UN´s year of the child.

7. kingrommel

Theres two - another one from this show

Scopitone, Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

From January 1979. She performed 'Rest Your Love On Me' with Andy Gibb too.

Scopitone and Jarleboy like this.
  9. kingrommel

@Jarleboy has just made my day! :goodie:

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

We're obviously all typing at the same time.:)

kingrommel and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I grew up on the film. I would have been 5 or 6 when we saw it at the drive-in back in the 70's, and I had the vinyl soundtrack.

All through the years, I would fast forward this scene.

It's probably my favorite song in the film now, and not just because Liv is purty. It's just a beautiful song - and fun to sing along with at the top of one's voice when driving around town.

kingrommel, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. kingrommel

Thats cool - interesting that this type of thing was thought of back then and Live Aid then made this possible globally (Live earth etc)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. kingrommel

I remember this well - my sister had the single and played it often - i remember the twangy guitar sound in particular as it wasnt that common (living in the 80's :D)

14. Bobby Morrow

It's hard to imagine Grease without this and You're The One That I Want, isn't it? These two were written by John Farrar especially for the movie as they were worried there was no hits in it!

Scopitone and kingrommel like this.
  15. Jarleboy

That´s not a line I hear very often! :righton: Glad to be of help.

Bobby Morrow and Scopitone like this.
  16. Scopitone

Definitely the two best songs in the film!

I do like Beauty School Dropout and the title track, too, though. And "There are Worse Things I Could Do". And "Go Greased Lightning", though that's heavily into Sha Na Na territory.

And "Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee" - which I appreciate a lot more since I have watched a bunch of Sandra's movies in the last year. (they're pretty much all on dailymotion) Though she's not as virginal in the films as her reputation - but those characters would have been basing the song on the squeaky clean and aborable GIDGET.

Bobby Morrow and kingrommel like this.
  17. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I do....however I was late to the party...so good luck to @kingrommel !!! Hope you enjoy :)

I concur. Xanadu is a great record. The movie? not so much. Only worth seeing to drool over Olivia and see Gene Kelly in his (unfortunately) last film role.

I've often wondered why Olivia never recorded a full record produced by Jeff Lynne? From all accounts She and Lynne got on very well. (as did Farrar and Lynn for that matter) I know she was loyal to Farrar,but after PHYSICAL, I think he sort of lost his spark, and Olivia did too. I think to follow up "PHYSICAL" she should have cut a record completely with Lynne and ELO, instead of doing TWO OF A KIND with Travolta. Xanadu should have taught her to focus more on her music and not on acting, and she frankly needed to shift gears again musically rather than milk the Physical image and style until 1985. Olivia's vocals with Jeff Lynne's songwriting and production capabilities (with perhaps some choice song contributions from Farrar) may have kept Olivia's hot streak going a bit longer, and at the very least may have kept her more relevant into the 80's.

18. kingrommel

Not sure i could pull singing this off - even in the car!

:blah: < me

19. Jarleboy

And to think that "Hopelessly Devoted to You" wasn´t part of the script, but was added to the line-up of songs after Olivia´s manager´s insistence. Strange, even though the scene in the film sort of takes you out of the movie, it´s hard to imagine the film without it. Great song.

20. Bobby Morrow

You'd need to be wearing a tight pair of trousers to reach the high notes at the end.:D

DiabloG, kingrommel and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Scopitone

Truth.

And also be constantly looking out your peripheral vision to make sure no one is watching. :laugh:

22. Bobby Morrow

Olivia and Jeff Lynne both said nice things about each other, but there couldn't have been much spark between them. Olivia said a few years ago that she hadn't seen him since the making of Xanadu...

But yes, I'd have killed for a Lynne penned album for Olivia. Still would.

DiabloG, kingrommel and Jarleboy like this.
  23. kingrommel

or listening...:shh:

Jarleboy and Scopitone like this.
  24. Jarleboy

And me thinking you wouldn´t start any wars! :shrug:

DiabloG, Bobby Morrow and kingrommel like this.
  25. kingrommel

Im getting flashbacks of singing this in music class with a 'chosen' female in the class by the teacher (dont worry everyone had to take a turn at pairing to this song!)

btw- i sang the Travolta part...

Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.