Help identifying an old TV episode ...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Third Walt, Jul 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Third Walt

Third Walt Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hope someone here can help, this has been bugging me for decades. I remember an this as an episode of a TV show, but it is possible it is from a made-for-TV movie or a theatrical film being shown on TV. I saw it in the late 1960s - early 1970s. It has a pretty distinctive set of scenes; if anyone has seen it they would recognize it from this description.

The distinctive scenes are from a criminal trial which takes up most if not all of the runtime. During the trial, we see repeated over-the-shoulder shots of the defendant, endlessly doodling on the sheets of a notepad. The significant thing about the doodles is that they are composed of all circles in various differing patterns and sizes. Sort of like Jack typing All work and no play ... in The Shining in different arrangements. A young woman at the trial, who I think was the victim of the defendant, notices his doodling and it starts to bother her. Finally, when testifying, she breaks down and calls everyone's attention to the defendant's drawings of "circles, always circles!", accusing him of not taking the trial seriously.

Beyond that, I don't remember much. I've remembered the doodled circles for all these years. If anyone knows, or can refer me to another site which might, I would be grateful. Thanks

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The TV movie was based on the book "The DA Draws A Circle"

http://www.amazon.com/D-A-Draws-Circle-Stanley-GARDNER/dp/B000G3JQ92

Here's the plot of the book quoting from Amazon:

4. Third Walt

PaulKTF, thanks for your reply. The description of this show doesn't really sound like what I remember. The defendant was sitting in the courtroom at the defendant's table, scribbling doodles made of various different circles for the whole show. Again, I appreciate your response.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Darn! Okay, sorry I didn't get it! I hope someone can help you figure it out! Now I'm really curious to know what it is!

6. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

B&W or color?

7. Third Walt

I saw it in black & white, but we didn't have a color TV for a few more years, so it's really impossible to say :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.