Which is your preferred internet retailer when buying CDs, MP3s, or vinyl?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Volt-and-Volume, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

Qobuz for HD

2. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Well, to be fair the 2010 LP of Exile wasn't exactly an audiophile pressing, either.

It's all about the mastering, always, and if itunes works for you, that's cool.

I guess I just have too much pride and "do it myselfness", I suppose. I rip my own 24/96 WAVs of any vinyl I want to have digitized, then concert (usually to FLAC, sometimes itunes lossless/ALAC)

3. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

CD's - amazon UK or US (though I'm using marketplace sellers more)
    SACD's - Puretone Audio
    Downloads - qobuz

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Primarily Amazon & iTunes these days, except when an artist only offers their new stuff thru their website (Dave Weckl). As a Salsa/Latin Jazz & Fusion Jazz lover, I feel a twinge of guilt aometimes. I use Descarga.com & Audiophileimports.com solely as a source for finding new releases I wasn't aware of. I used to buy CD's from them often but they always ask full price. I either find the CD at a much reduced price or buy select cuts from iTunes.

5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

CDs and vinyl only. NO downloads

Squidco
    Wayside
    Mimaroglu
    Forced Exposure
    Improvised Music From Japan
    CD Japan
    ReR Megacorp
    DTMGallery
    Dusty Groove

if all else fails:
    Amazon.jp
    Amazon.co.uk
    Amazon.com
    Amazon.ca
    Discogs
    eBay

6. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Linto likes this.
  7. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Records are poor value and quality, and digital these days.

I never stopped buying LPs in the 90s and 00s - so now I only buy CDs
    Mainly new from FOPP (Charing Cross Road) or Amazon.
    It's a great time to be buying CDs

I have also started selling some LPs to help fund my insane guitar habit.
    It's not as easy as it was 10 years ago, the demand seems to be less.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Music Direct
    Soundstage Direct
    Amazon

9. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

disgcogs
    amazon
    importcds
    cdjapan

10. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

I get most of my cds and records, and occasionally cassettes from ebay, amazon, or discogs. I don't buy digital files. I sometimes buy music from other sites that specialize in certain types of music like ErstDist or Improvised Music From Japan for example, or from the artist directly off their bandcamp or their own site.

11. wiki

wiki Member

I buy most of my CDs and vinyl on amazon or ebay. I don't really buy digital files.

12. I'll pretty much buy from most online retailers. Does it say something that I trust CD Japan and Amazon.co.uk more than domestic American retailers? It's pretty apparent to me the remaining American music retailers don't particularly enjoy servicing CD sales anymore and looking to get out of the business.

The music labels should have forced Amazon to get better packaging when they became the de facto CD retailer for a huge percentage of the market. It shows how little they care they haven't designed a packaging size specifically for CDs and mostly use those awful bubble mailers.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Bull Moose
    Amazon
    Barnes & Noble

Deep Discount
    Best Buy

14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

A bit of a question about buying from Amazon. Typically when shopping online I'm looking for used CDs that I cannot find locally and in most cases these are early versions, collectible, rare etc. When buying from eBay you have a fair amount of information in the listing to have some certainty that you are buying the version you are interested in. On Amazon I see no way of defining or identifying exactly what you are buying of a title other than new or used. Is there a way?

15. You have to know the UPC code and search on Amazon that way. Most of the remaining Amazon Marketplace sellers are identifying different versions of the same album in that manner. Amazon's natural language search is terrible, they will often return only results of stuff they currently sell...so older out of print CDs do not show up unless you know the UPC code.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I buy most of my new CDs and Audio Fidelity SACDs from amazon.com. For new European issues, I buy on occasion from amazon.de and amazon.co.uk. For new Japanese releases, I often buy from CD Japan. I pre-order Mobile Fidelity SACDs from Music Direct and Analogue Productions SACDs from Acoustic Sounds.

Most of my used CDs come via eBay, this site, and local shops.

17. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

For high quality Vinyl LP's and SACD's in Europe: Vinyl Gourmet

:)

18. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Acoustic Sounds. Great service and great people to do business with. If I order before 2PM I have the order in my home the next day, EVERY TIME! Any time I have a question or problem they are there for me. Super source for music in all formats and a wide selection of equipment too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.