David Gilmour - 2015 Live Dates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NunoBento, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Don't go too overboard about more shows. There still are travel days, both for the musicians and the gear; possible late-night TV spots; rest days; etc. Also, it is basketball & hockey season---so you can check on the dates to see if NY, Chicago, and Toronto have already booked-up dates for their respective sports teams.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Some of them are in play-off season, so arenas have to keep open certain dates.

3. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

All of that is true, but I don't think it's overboard to suggest that 8 shows in 20 days in only 4 cities is extremely light scheduling. In 2006, he did 10 US shows in 17 days in 5 cities.

Even accounting for the things you mentioned...

LA -> TOR = 2 travel days for equipment, etc. (or in Dave's case, a couple hours in a private jet)
    TOR -> CHI = 1 travel day
    CHI -> NY = 1 travel day

2 TV spots (no guarantee, but maybe) = 2 days

8 shows + 4 travel days + 2 tv days = 14/20. That still leaves 6 more full days (or more) of paying musicians/crew to do nothing. I'd be shocked if he doesn't add a third date in LA/NY and given the 3 idle days in CHI, maybe there too. Maybe not Toronto. That would be 10-11 shows in 20 days, or 20+ days if he added on to the current beginning/end dates of the tour. We'll see.

4. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

Our heroes are getting older. They like spending time with family while on tour. After a couple of performances they need a couple of days off to recover. That's my guess, anyway.

supernaut likes this.
  5. SoundAdvice

Gilmour himself called it an "old man tour".

Though he is doing 3 nights in a row in London and Roger had a surprisingly hefty tour schedule just a couple years ago.

If demand is a crazy as we are to be believed, why not sell tickets behind the stage at the 3 stateside arenas and the nosebleed seats at Hollywood Bowl? London is probably 360 seating and it's a great way to make affordable seats available without any added work load for Gilmour himself.

6. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Forum Resident

I was in the middle of recording sessions when the sales went live in both cases. I took the time to check and came up against the sold out message. Didn't have time to hang in and retry. Missed again. Oh well. Last time I did get to the movie theater tour for Remember That Night.

Bob

7. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Pink Floyd ‏@pinkfloyd 5h5 hours ago
    Just announced: David Gilmour playing LA Forum on 27 March 2016. Tickets on sale Friday (7 August) at 10am PST.

03/24 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl
    03/25 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl
    03/26 - ?
    03/27 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum
    03/28 - ?
    03/29 - ?
    03/30 - ?
    03/31 – Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
    04/01 – Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
    04/02 - ?
    04/03 - ?
    04/04 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
    04/05 - ?
    04/06 - ?
    04/07 - ?
    04/08 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
    04/09 - ?
    04/10 - ?
    04/11 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
    04/12 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    PROG U.K. likes this.
  8. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

03/24 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl
    03/25 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl
    04/06 - ?
    04/07 - ?
    04/08 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
    04/09 - ?
    04/10 - ITHACA, NY
    04/11 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
    04/12 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden

Just, you know, a suggestion...

linclink likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

somewhere near virginia would be nice

Christobal likes this.
  10. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

11. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

The Forum will be a much better place to see Gilmore than the Hollywood Bowl.

12. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Why is that? It appears you are a local and I'd be interested as to why. I am flying in from Colorado for the Hollywood Bowls shows and have never been to either venue. While I would love to go the Forum I promised the wife we would spend the rest of the time in Cali doing something else. We are also going to the two MSG shows so I feel this is a reasonable request. I picked the Bowl because it seems iconic and usually I prefer outdoor shows for sound quality.

13. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

The sound quality at the Hollywood Bowl like most out door sheds is really only good in a "sweet spot" up to about the upper 3rd of the Terrace seating boxes. Speaking of the boxes, those are small claustrophobic enclosures that hold 4 folding seats each that can be a real crapshoot if you're going alone or with one other person and get stuck with a couple other strangers who are obnoxious drunks. It's like being stuck on a long flight with a crying baby sitting in your row. If you're sitting any further back than halfway or way off to the sides, it's hard wooden long bench seating (C). The only "real" seats (B) are in the small area near the soundboard about halfway back.

[​IMG]

The other thing that really bugs me is the Bowl parking is horrible. You drive (slooooowly) up a narrow road through a residential area to the venue and they "stack park" cars in grassy lots, meaning cars are parked bumper to bumper to maximize the number of cars that can be crammed in the lots resulting in hours-long wait to get out after a show if your car is really buried deep in the lot. There's other lots further away that don't do this but the walk is a long one or you could take the park and ride shuttle to the entrance which is also a pain. Finally, the Hollywood Bowl is by far the most expensive LA venue to attend a show - compare tickets between the Forum and The Bowl for an example. I will say that the Bowl itself is very scenic, surrounded by trees and on clear warm nights really a beautiful place to catch a show. I saw Arcade Fire there for the Neon Bible tour and it was great, mostly because I spent the bucks to get a great seat in the Pool and had a couple really nice people sharing the box with me. One the other hand, Nine Inch Nails with Queens Of The Stone Age was horrible, mainly because my box was further back, had a partially obstructed view and I had two real ayeholes sharing my box who kept trying to sneak their other two buddies into our box.

The Forum is simply a renovated 18 thousand seater Basketball Arena. However, you can have mediocre seats and still get decent sound because it's indoors and depending on a particular band's production, the sight lines are usually better. I also saw Arcade Fire at this arena on their last tour and while I thought the Neon Bible (and Suburbs) tours were better, I thought the sound was better at the Forum.

If you park in the lot near the exits you can get out in minutes. Public transportation is a big fail though for The Forum after shows. It's deep in Inglewood and you can easily get lost in a dodgy part of town trying to make it back to the 405 or 105 freeway if you don't know your way around the area.

Over the past 35+ years I've seen about half a dozen shows at The Bowl and about 40 shows at The Forum. I'll take the Forum every time.

14. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Hey Partyslammer,

Thanks for the reply. Looks I'll be sitting on a bench the first night, we do have pool seats for night 2. Glad we don't have one of the boxes though!

The frustrating thing about this Gilmour tour is it's being announced piece meal instead of the full schedule all at once. It makes it harder to plan travel and pick the right venues etc.

Thanks again for the info

15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Theo Travis (who toured with Steven Wilson) will be blowin' the sax (and more) in Gilmour's touring band! [​IMG]

I love Dick (did I just write that?) but Theo blows him away (yes, another pun!). I'll bet Gilmour met Theo when he visited Steven Wilson (and band) backstage while attending his London shows earlier this year.

enro99, rtalwani and LarsO like this.
  16. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

Theo Travis is excellent. His duets with Robert Fripp (Travis & Fripp) are among my favorite pieces involving Fripp in recent times.

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It looks like The will only be joining David through the 9/19 show so someone will be taking over for him in London. Hopefully Dick Parry.

18. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

From Pink Floyd's and Gilmour's Facebook pages:

"Due to exceptional demand in Chicago, a third and final David Gilmour show has been added for the city. David shall be performing at the Auditorium Theatre on April 6th, 2016; he wanted to play a theatre during the tour and he fondly remembered this particular venue from Pink Floyd shows back in October 1971 and April 1972. Tickets will go on sale at 10am CDT on Friday, August 21st, through http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/07004F0EA1FA3163 (which will be active shortly), all Ticketmaster outlets, or by phone. As a reminder, tickets purchased via Ticketmaster.com each include a code redeemable for a CD of Rattle That Lock. More details at www.DavidGilmour.com."

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Best venue in town!!!

20. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

I really wish he could do at least one stop in the south..

21. SoundAdvice

Seattle last got a Gilmour visit 28 years ago. Portland 38 years.

22. floyd

floyd Senior Member

do we know a price range for the Auditorium in Chicago show?

23. SoundAdvice

Price ranges from car payment to house payment.

j4yheindeo, Tom34772, floyd and 2 others like this.
  24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

floyd and footlooseman like this.
  25. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

Once again from Pink Floyd's and Gilmour's Facebook pages:

"Tomorrow morning, at 10am UK time, a limited number of extra
    seats will be released for David Gilmour's Brighton Centre
    preview show on September 5th, as well as for each concert
    at London's Royal Albert Hall, on September 23rd, 24th and
    25th, and October 2nd and 3rd.

For Brighton tickets, call the box office on 0844 8471515,
    or visit http://brightoncentre.co.uk. For the London
    tickets. visit http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/…/2015/david-gilmour/"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.