Sony UDA1 Hi-Res USB DSD DAC + Integrated Amplifier $200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dms, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dms

dms Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi there everyone. Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but there is a nice sale going on right now at woot.com for the Sony UDA1, on sale for $200 down from the normal price of $600.

http://www.woot.com/offers/sony-uda1-hi-res-dac-system-for-pc-audio

Silver model still in stock as of this posting but I expect them to go fast, black ones already sold out.

I don't own this piece, but it seems cool:

-D/A converter with USB, optical, coaxial, and analog inputs
    -line level output
    -supports sample rates up to 192kHz as well as DSD files played back from Mac/PC
    -Built in headphone amp
    -Built in amp for powering speakers
    -Front panel volume control
    -Front panel USB port (I guess for playing back files but not sure how you navigate them with no front panel display).

This seems like this would make a great solution for music playback at a desk with a computer and some bookshelf speakers. Although not as small as the various tripath digital amps, it is a smaller width and height than normal full size stereo integrated amps.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Jasonb likes this.
  2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Man, this makes me wish I could find any use for this. What a great deal!

3. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

sold out!

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Mildly upset I didn't just buy one, and.....put it next to the other "spare" integrateds?

I'll go ahead and use this thread to declare I'm mad at Sony for not just selling a standalone DSD DAC without an amp or music server attached to it. C'mon guys, just sell the DAC section of the HAP-Z1ES. We already have hard drives and screens. TIA.

5. dms

dms Forum Resident Thread Starter

Shoot, should have posted it earlier for everyone.

Since this was posted on slickdeals and you were allowed to buy up to 3 per customer, I see that some new eBay listings have already gone up by people trying to "flip" them.

Lowest buy it now price right now I see is $350 with free shipping for a new in box black one, but I wonder if the prices will go down shortly over time.

I didn't buy one since I have stereo setups of Sonos Play 1 speakers in my bedrooms, and a surround setup in the TV room, but other folks may be in the market.

Thanks!

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Got one, and finally got around to setting it up. Not bad for $200!

[​IMG]

7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Looks nice. But what's up with the 10%(!!!) THD noted in the specs?

I feel there must be a typo that slipped by when they published the specs for this... or maybe not?

8. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Probably at full rated power but provided it's used with fairly efficient speakers (greater than 86db@1Watt@1metre) it should be fine as it's rare you use more than a few watts at average levels as the rest gives you the headroom for peaks.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

SamS,

How do you rate it as a DAC and headphone amp.?

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I would say it is more than satisfactory, quite enjoyable actually. My two immediate comparisons would be to the Geek Pulse DAC and the OPPO HA-1. From a user interface standpoint, the Sony is miles ahead of the Geek Pulse, and equals the OPPO, albeit with less features than the OPPO needs to support.

The sound has a nice weight to it, no "digital" bite whatsoever. I have not tried DSD, but standard and hi-rez PCM is quite nice. You don't get quite the soundstage of the OPPO, and the input choices are more limited (but still satisfactory for 95%+ of users).

The build quality is probably the most impressive thing at the price. Just a step down from the OPPO, but still impressive with its milled face/logo and sturdy buttons and heft.

I know there is a ridiculous amount of competition at this price point. For $800, I'd say save up for an HA-1. For $200, it screams, and be on the lookout for spares!

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Thanks for the detailed response!

I hope that I'm able to snag one if the offer comes around again. It certainly looks nice, and I would have no need for the integrated amp. section.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, I have no need for the integrated section at the present time, but it seemed like a nice free bonus at the price. Also, it does have a remote and standard IEC power cord input, which is rare at the $200 price point.

Yep, keep checking woot as they seem to have secondary sales for certain items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.