Spanish Prog

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mallery7, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallery7

mallery7 Forum Resident Thread Starter

..as in prog rock from Spain. Feel free to use this thread to address any bands you're interested in.

I'd like to inquire if anyone can recommend good sounding cds from the following bands:

Iman Califato Independiente. Recent 2 on 1 issue I have sounds no-noised.

Guadalquivir. Current 2 disc reissue of both their albums has some serious high eq boost.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

2. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

One of my all time FAVORITE prog-rock recordings is 'Escenes' by Gotic. I have it on LP, but it's available on CD as well.

Not only is it fantastic musically, but the album art is lovely too!

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gotic/escenes/

(It was released in Spain in 1977. To my knowledge, it's their only recording!)

3. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I like and don't love the album, but Canarios' Ciclos on Si-Wan is one of the best sounding CDs one is likely to hear. Avoid the original BMG Spain version, which is horrible.

4. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I don't like Los Canarios, but here's some of my fave seventies prog:

Eduardo Bort
    Coto En Pel - Holocaust
    Goma – 14 Abril
    Granada – Valle del Pas
    Iceberg - Coses Nostres
    Nu – Cuentos de Ayer y de Hoy

5. mallery7

Iceberg is a favorite of mine. Also recently have re-discovered Crack and Mezquita.

Got the first Triana, need to explore more of the 'flamenco prog' scene.

6. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

musica urbana
    ibio -cuevas de altamira
    trian - el patio

7. dachada

dachada Senior Member

About the CBS Spain Label, for Iman and Gualdaquivir albums better look for the early CDs one title albums. the 2 albums reissues are not good. Also there is early issues of Alameda, Medina Azahara, Cai. .. Like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ALAMEDA-s-t-CD-...pt=Music_CDs&hash=item45f53649cd#ht_602wt_890

Also I would like to recommend these titles from Spain:
    Tapiman s/t (look for the first cd issue)
    Fusioon 2nd album (orange cover)
    Crack-Si todo hiciera...
    N.H.U s/t
    Pan y Regaliz-s/t (with cardboard sleve)
    Mezquita-Recuerdos de mi tierra (japan Cd)
    ñu-Cuentos de Ayer y de Hoy (japan cd) - Requiem
    Gotic-escenes (korean mini)

8. Gotic-escenes is a pure gem....very similar to Camel

9. Gugaz

Gugaz Forum Resident

In the early eighties, there was this radio show here where they played entire albums. Just a brief explanation and then the album from start to finish. No words, no interruptions, no news, no publicity, nothing. Just the music.
    It was very ecclectic and "alternative" in its editorial concept. "Alternative" in the sense they played mostly 60's and 70's non-commercial music, music that wasn't available anywhere else. It was listening to this show that I learned about the Doors, Tim Buckley, Captain Beefheart, John Fahey, etc...
    Of course, with this format, it was great for recording and I recorded a bunch of tapes which I would play and play, and play and play... and play and play...
    Anyway... on one of these shows, they played this album, this strangest music which almost seemed like a parody, where they mixed classical music with rock riffs, and they sang in spanish with satyrical voices over classical orchestrations, and... it was great!... and I recorded it... and I listened to it over and over again... and I loved it... but I never knew who it was... and then I lost the tape... and I never found it again...
    It was thirty years ago, and I still don't know what band/artist/show it was.
    I'm hoping one of the gurus here might help me finding it again... Please...
    Sorry for such a long post. Thanks.

10. mallery7

Any recommendations for good sounding cds for Triana? I picked up a recent cheap reissue of their 1st album which is title "Latin Essentials" but the high eq has been severly boosted. thanks

11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I don't know if Lone Star is considered prog, but they did at least one track that qualifies.

12. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Funny this comes up as I was just trying to find a better version than the old Fonomusic CD a month or two back. That old version is just too bright and treble heavy for me. I picked up the "Latin Essentials" version but it was no better. Compressed, too, as I recall.

Guess this is an album I'll try to grab on vinyl one day.

13. mallery7

I believe there's some Triana remasters out there too, but I couldn't imagine those sounding any better either..

They have some compilations out there too, I wonder if those sound any good?

14. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Vinyl are also bright. Not sure if the very first pressing are ok but there are not easy to find.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Summer bump

can we talk about Spanish Psych
    on this thread too ?

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

17. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Vytas Brenner: La Ofrenda de Vytas Brenner

[​IMG]

no.nine likes this.
  18. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

That Vytas Brenner album pictured above is real nice. Short but solid.

danielbravo likes this.
  19. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Interesting thread.
    Can anyone recommend instrumental stuff?
    Never could get used to non-English prog.
    Always looking for more stuff...

20. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident

Coincidentally, I was listening to Iceberg's 'Sentiments' for the first time in ages today and had forgotten how good it was. I also have 'Coses Nostras' and will give that a spin later. I haven't heard Gotic but will have to track it down.

R E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.