Non philes/music lovers and the cost of audio ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Tim, what a profile!
    Your equipment is great and how fortunate the rooms and the rest. Well talk soon and as much as I can.
    You love your Linn products, they are great. Ive had 5 Scottish Terriers 1 Westy, and 1 Cairne throughout my life, thats the best I can compare. Take care, John M.

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Thanks John, I guess it is a pretty good profile. I've often had second thoughts about posting it as there are a few folks around here that have issues with people that own decent stuff.
    Glad to hear your an animal lover, have a grand day.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  3. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Its true that envy is a fact of life. Im sure most could get many of what they see if booze and other hoobies were taking out of the equation.
    Only comes from experience that half of the people who are envious just spend on what they like-which ofcourse is fine- but keep the negetive remarks out of these forums. Great gear is wonderful and it helps to see what we all strive for. Enjoy, John M.

4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Hey, that would make a great album title!

apesfan likes this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

"Decent stuff" is awesome. It's not about jealously of those that have it. It's awesome because those that have lived with good gear are the best people to ask for advice about what sounds good. The best advice and guidance I've gotten about audio has come from people who have experienced and appreciated a variety of the good stuff. The worst advice has come from those that haven't.

Rolltide, Tullman, apesfan and 3 others like this.
  6. Tim 2

Well, I managed to find time this weekend ( long weekend here in Canada ) and change the speakers out for the ones I mentioned in the original post. The friends that I lent the little system to were immediately impressed by the sound and were questioning why there was so much improvement.
    I'll give that a week or two and see if they want to try a different amp, or some such.

7. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I used to know a man who was a bit of a raconteur and he told me that he was once dealing with his bank and was getting some advice he found questionable. He asked the advisor " Are you rich?" and the advisor replied that in fact, he was not wealthy. The man then replied " Then why would I be looking to you for advice on how to become rich ? " .

D.D.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I rather think the best advice comes from those objective enough to recognise what someone else is looking for, within their budget that they feel best suits, or might suit their needs, without just assuming that because someone has a "decent" system that's high ticket they know what they're talking about.

My experience is with people that fit that criteria.

9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Living with, and frequently foreground listening to, a stereo system comprised of well regarded, genuine hi-end components is invaluable experience. There really is no other way to fully appreciate what $15, $20, $30, or $50+ grand can be expected to deliver. No substitute. Of those with actual listening experience, there will inevitably some who know a ton about designs at lower price points. Find these reliable sources and then enjoy!

Tim 2 likes this.
  10. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

The fact that plebs out there will spend big $$ on huge fancy HD LCD thingamejig TV's, yet baulk at paying for a single song much less good gear to reproduce it, tells you everything you need to know. We are extremely visual creatures, with a huge bias of the senses towards sight. And speaking of creatures, most have the attention span of an Amoeba when it comes to music, or most other things.

Get off my lawn!

Stop the planet, Im getting off.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It's nothing for a year of Internet and cable to cost $2,400. But spending that on a pair of speakers is unheard of for most people. Sure it is a question of priorities but it also comes down to conditioning.

Tim 2 likes this.
  12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Music is basically free. Alarm Clock-Radio, car stereo, cellphone, etc. Why pay more? Fidelity is for hobbyists. I could rip into any number of members reading this thread who mindlessly prepare and drink terrible "coffee" everyday. Guess what? They don't care. We aren't yet in a consumption era of curiosity and discovery. When we get there, then hifi will be along for the ride.

Robert C likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I can only think of one single time where a friend has thanked me for getting him into decent audio gear. But I have dozens of friends who have profusely thanked me for getting them to drink good coffee.

jh901 and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Blue bottle slow pour?

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm not going to say I don't like Blue Bottle, because it's pretty damn good. I just won't stand in the lines that wrap around the building for it.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Tim 2

I think you've missed that folks with "decent systems " have all owned dozens of audio systems starting with the most basic and likely had many experiences with equipment before they reached there current comfort level of cost versers sonic pleasure.
    Will experience on many levels not make us a better judge ?

Diamond Dog and royzak2000 like this.
  17. Brother_Rael

Ignore earlier post, first thing in the morning typo. Probably removed by the time you read this!

No, I don't and I didn't miss anything at all. Whether you've owned one system or twenty it makes no odds. It depends on the individual and what they need. That advice can come from new folk as well as long in tooth types.

Some of the worst advice comes from inveterate tweakers and hobbyists who never achieve what they're after because it's not attainable. Upgradeitis is their problem and I wouldn't inflict that on anyone.

So no, I don't see experience or years of it as any kind of barometer. What's more important is the thought process and understanding what you need, what's available out there and what does that for your budget.

csgreene likes this.
  18. Tim 2

Interesting contrast. I haven't turned anyone onto good coffee ( don't drink it myself ) but have unwittingly turned many friends onto audio simply by playing music on a well designed system.

19. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Awake - The Best of Live

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I might be confused but is there a question of who is the best person to ask for advice? And some sort of idea that a person that has spend a lot of money on a nice system would not be the best candidate?

This is just silly. Fist of all out side of this forum, no one is asking. Clearly, a person that has invested time, resources and has had more experience with components and configurations is going to have more knowledge.

21. Brother_Rael

No. There isn't. They needn't however be the only candidate and depending on the person you're asking, they may well turn out not to be best regardless of how much they've spent.

Are all pilots able to fly all planes or do they need to be type certified first?

Would the person that spent over $300 on a pair of Audioquest Vodka ethernet cables be the most ideal to talk to about cables?

Robert C likes this.
  22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Well, apparently experience and knowledge aren't as critical when it comes to stereo systems. I'm not sure how widely this view is shared, but it isn't uncommon. There are certainly audiophiles with decades of experience who, for one reason or another, are not the best at helping beginners. Of course, the same could be said of any hobby or discipline.

I want to learn from someone who's spent decades with great gear at many price points, but certainly including gear which I would likely aspire to own in the future. I want to learn from someone who has spent time with passive acoustic treatment, sorted out the electricity, has implemented component vibration control, and so on. I'd expect these folks, generally, to be the best qualified to help beginners.

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

They would be the best person to talk about the Audioquest Vodka Ethernet cable and how it compare to what they previously used.

Perhaps it is a cultural communication disparity but it seems you are passionate about low cost equipment to the extent that you are critical of those that have chosen a different path. Why would purchasing an upgraded cable make someone less able to talk about cables?

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. Brother_Rael

I dunno. I wouldn't make assumptions about anyone else when I don't know their circumstances.

Neither would I assume - wrongly in your case - that I'm critical of anyone that's taken a "different path". Regardless of spend.

It's the assumptive nature of some people I find curious I guess. Suggests they maybe haven't quite given due thought to a situation or circumstance.

Oh and your quoted piece: seeing as it's a data transference cable whose validity is possibly moot, I might avoid that "expert" and their experience. Might not chime in tune with me.

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

didn't you make the assumption that a person that bought the Audioquest cable wouldn't be a good person to talk to about cables? Perhaps I read that wrong. I have that cable and I think can have a reasonable conversation about it.

You have come out pretty strong on this thread against high priced components. Again, perhaps I am reading that wrong. I mean no offence.

Tim 2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.