I feel like a better person now...spent some money on the room acoustics*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WHitese, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, I finally did it...spent some money on the room acoustics...4 ceiling corner triangles and 2 diffusers that I placed behind my Cabasse'...Boy, that stuff does help.

[​IMG]

2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Glad you are enjoying them! Mine are easily removable and every now and again I take them down and take in the difference. Mine are just 2 x 4' panels of 4" thick OC703 and the difference isn't subtle, and I greatly prefer them to be in place.

3. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

I thought I was going to read someone donated their stereo to a needy kid or something.

4. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

I thought somebody bought a really expensive component.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thread re-titled now due to forum guidelines:
    Not a new rule......

Tjazz likes this.
  6. WHitese

Thanks MLutthans.... hate making Gorts roll their eyes at me...:o

7. Dentdog

Dentdog Forum Resident

Nothing has changed in my setup since I swapped in my cart. For me, acoustics and electricity hold more answers now. Got two more traps to build and maybe a Helmholtz resonator. Got the bass trap to cover the TV and the back wall from GIK. Tri traps in the corners and a BPT Sig Plus 3.5 for the juice.
    Got a pretty good idea for a variable Helmholtz resonator to catch a particularly noticeable 75-90 hz area. Lucky in that I drive right past GIK once a week.

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Tullman and toddrhodes like this.
  9. toddrhodes

That looks like a pretty good deal to me, for a handmade item? I do like Etsy :) So, if one has front wall and first reflections covered, in a small square room, where would those be best suited? I have a curtain to my immediate right to quell a reflection that was driving me nuts for weeks. I also have a very thick trap behind my head. I'm wondering if a pair of those diffusers could go on the front wall, between the other traps (under the TV in my setup)?

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I know front wall is a common location for diffusers, and its where the two I purchased are going. I'm also going to put some foam diffusers on the ceiling above my speakers.

11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Unless your running dipole speakers, or you have a rear wall mere feet behind you, diffusers on the front wall will do pretty much bugger all. Put them on the rear wall if 1D type, or if skyline 2D type diffusers, put them on the ceiling. And make surer whatever you do, you sit far enough away from them. Depending on their operating range this will vary, but on average you want be at least 10 feet away from them or you will get some nasty phasing anomolies.

timind likes this.
  12. toddrhodes

In my case I do sit very close to the rear wall, I have a 6" trap hanging horizontally behind my head to help (and it does). My ceiling is actually exposed joists with insulation between, but not so much it kills all the high frequency energy. I could try them on the front wall and play with placement, that's not a big deal. Anyway, sorry for the derail :)

13. WHitese

My room has an open area behind the listening area...to one side are windows and the other speaker is about 8 ft from the side wall...

14. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I grabbed thick, lined velvet drapes and some broadband acoustic panels this past week for the listening room... improvement is not subtle.

[​IMG]

bluesbro, beowulf and Rolltide like this.
  15. WHitese

This might be what I try behind the gear....

[​IMG]

16. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

Putting acoustic's is a great start and helps a lot but, you really need to Eq most rooms along with the room treatment to get a nice flat curve!!!

17. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Flat ,or close to it is what you want for mixing. For HiFi, all bets are off. One mans poison...a well held house curve many many use rolls of 3db per octave after 10khz and has a 3db or so rise from 200hz or so down. That's rough, I'm just picturing it. One thing Hifi and mixing have in common is some sort of control over low end decay. That unchecked and out of control is really going to screw things up quickly.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Room acoustic treatment beats equalizers. Very few equalizers are worth their price. Most fail at doing their job without introducing noise, hum, and distortion. Therefore, most are not transparent. Most of the few good units are aimed at high end studio use.

19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My room is a mere 8" x 12", so reflections were a major problem. I constructed a few large wall panels with Owens Corning 703 and it made a huge improvement.

McLover likes this.
  20. WHitese

I take a very relaxed approach to this hobby....cool gear and music is what mainly interests me...But now that I have found some inexpensive panels, I tried it and loved the result...

I think my room is also about 8 x12..one short wall has windows, the opposite has a dining table...One of the long walls is where the gear and speakers are, opposite there is an 8 ft. opening into the kitchen from about 5ft to 8ft ...I sit with that opening right above my head...

21. Hammmerhead

Hammmerhead Member

The room treatments are something you cant really appreciate until they are actually hanging in your own listening area. I hung 10, 2 feet by 4 feet panels in a 20' X 20' room and it changed everything. No more echos, reverbs, etc. Its strange how taking away these annoyances brings the music to the forefront and allows you to hear all of the low level details in the music that you likely never heard before.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, and good eq's go for about $10,000. I'd rather spend some money on room treatment.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agreed. Fix the room acoustics first. The improvements gained can be major.

24. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

I hung a couple of acoustic panels on the wall behind my head. The difference was quite astounding.

25. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

The Behringer DEQ2496 I use cost around $300. I don't hear any 'noise, hum, and distortion'. Indeed a friend of mine who knows a bit about sound reproduction said that digital EQ smears transients. I listened for this with and without EQ but didn't notice anything, maybe partly because the sound was no longer to my liking because of lack of EQ.

I'd suggest you consider speaker and ear positioning, room treatment, then EQ in that order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.