david gilmour and roger waters solo albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

any of them worth getting? i hear mixed reviews about their solo material. take into account i really like the wall and a momentary lapse of reason, don't like the final cut and like half of the division bell.

2. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

David Gilmour
    On An Island
    Amused To Death

I'd say start with those 3, then if you enjoy those, then try the other solo albums. Rick Wright's Broken China album is well worth a listen too.

3. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Gilmour:
    s/t 1978 album
    About face
    On an Island
    (new album looks promising)

Waters:
    Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
    Radio KAOS
    Amused to Death

In sum...all the key catalog studio albums are worth getting.

While you're at it, don't forget Syd's Madcap laughs, Barrett, and Opel

4. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

actually...if you don't like Final Cut you may want to stay away from Roger's Pros & Cons

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

All this is great advice. :righton:

6. I really like all of Dave's solo albums (even better than AMLOR), but there are two or three tracks on his About Face that verge on being a bit more commercial and/or cheesy than my ideal.

All of them can be heard from YouTube, you should check them out.

Matthew Tate and Andersoncouncil like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

thats why i mentioned those floyd albums. others point out some of their solo releases are similar to those releases. a lot of reviews i see on amazon mention those floyd releases when talking about solo stuff. amused to death seems to get the highest marks for waters

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  8. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

If you are looking for albums that have a sound similar to PF, David Gilmour albums sound much like PF and have the same experimental creativity.
    Roger Waters albums sound much like Final Cut, which of course sounds nothing like PF.

Rick Wrights Broken China doesn't sound like PF, but has a PF level of creativity and a similar groove.

juanmanuel and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

For Roger try flickering flame - a nice compilation of his studio albums.

I really want to like David's work but it kind of washes over me.....

If you want something more Pink Floyd try Porcupine Tree - clearly not Floyd but a nice take on modern progressive music.

Gary

kendo likes this.
  10. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

David Gilmour's 1st, then On An Island (which took a long time to finally appreciate) but About Face still leaves me cold. The Gdansk stuff is excellent too...

Roger Waters' Radio Kaos, then Amused To Death but Pros And Cons?...it's not terrible but...
    Like DG, Roger's live albums are worthwhile too but all their solo albums are easy to check out before actually buying. :)

supernaut likes this.
  11. dirie

dirie Forum Resident

Roger's contribution to the soundtrack "When the wind blows" is very good, though his songs make just one side of the LP.

Pancat likes this.
  12. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

If you're trying to find PF's key elements, go with Roger. Gilmour's records are nice but they're showcases to his soloing and not much more than that. When he tried something more, he did Blue Light that is laughably bad. Amused To Death is way more classic Pink Floyd than anything the 1987 Ltd. ever released.

Dave and Zeki like this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Amused to Death" is as good as anything in the Pink Floyd catalog.

14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I love Gilmour's 1st 2, they'll remind you of 80's era Floyd. Especially his 2nd "About Face" with songs like 'Murder' which I think is really strong.

Of course if you dislike Momentary Lapse of Reason Floyd, your mileage may vary.

Keim, Dave and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Matthew Tate

i like that album.

16. Matthew Tate

in an amazing turn of fate i got to work today and someone was giving away mint copies of amused to death and pros and cons. this is the new 2015 amused to death too. guess who now owns those 2 waters albums for free :D

17. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Music from The Body (not entirely a solo album, but Roger's stuff hold up well)
    Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking
    Amused To Death

18. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Thats why I can live with some Gilmour music and none of Waters.Love Roger Waters but his solo stuff is too far of the mark of the Pink Floyd I knew and loved.Hated Final Cut.

Cyberhog9 and Rooster_Ties like this.
  19. Funny, it's Gilmour's soloing that I find to be PF's "key element" -- the quality of which I find sorely lacking in practically all of Roger's solo output (most of which seems far less like PF, than much of Gilmour's solo output).

petercl and Cyberhog9 like this.
  20. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Gilmour could surely use a good solo compilation. His albums are wildly uneven, that's why.

Murder, Near the End, I Can't Breathe Anymore, There's No Way Out of Here, All Lovers Are Deranged, On An Island, Smile, Je Crois Entendre Encore, Castelorizon, Rattle That Lock, Then I Close My Eyes and Mihalis would make a collection I'd listen to more often than some random Gilmour album.

Keim likes this.
  21. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

David Gilmour "Self titled" and Roger Waters "Amused to Death" are definitely where i would start.

sjaca and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

With Waters, it's a tad simpler: Amused to Death is his go-to album if you're a Pink Floyd fan (I also think that it's his best solo work). The Pros and Cons, When the Wind Blows and Radio KAOS all have their moments but they all off-put me at some point.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if you like 'animals" era pink floyd, get all of gilmour's solo stuff.

if you like 'the wall' and 'the final cut" go for waters.

personally, i have all of gilmour's solo albums and none of waters.

24. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

Waters:

Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
    Amused To Death
    Radio KAOS

Gilmour:

David Gilmour
    Rattle That Lock
    On An Island
    About Face

25. ProgDave74

ProgDave74 Forum Resident

Best to Worst. Proceed below #4 with extreme caution! :):
    1. Amused to Death
    2. On an Island
    3. David Gilmour
    4. Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
    5. About Face
    6. Radio KAOS

Live albums/CDs best to worst. All of these are at least decent.
    1. Remember That Night (Gilmour DVD/BR only): David Bowie guest appearance, Rick Wright playing "Saucerful of Secrets" on the Royal Albert Hall organ (in the bonus), an incredibly awkward chance meeting between Gilmour and Waters (also in the bonus)
    2. The Wall Live in Berlin...not sure if it's actually GOOD, but it's quite the spectacle, and something to see
    3. David Gilmour Live 2001-2, semi-accoustic with interesting guests
    4. Live at Gdansk, Gilmour. Interesting, but inferior to Remember That Night in my opinion. Highlight is a completely unrehearsed "On the Turning Away"
    5. Waters In the Flesh
    This is my opinion, of course. I think it's fair to say that there are very wildly varying opinions on Waters's solo work moreso than Gilmour's...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.