New turntable day

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dr Faustus, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old Thread Starter

Just posting this because I'm really excited about getting a new turntable. Everyone I know looks at me like I'm a fool (as in a fool and his money are soon parted) but I figured some of the folk here will appreciate this. I've just ordered a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC) table which will be delivered tomorrow. This will replace my Dual CS503-2 which I picked up for 20 quid on ebay a couple years ago and which has served me well. But I ssuspect the Pro-Ject will blow the Dual away!

2. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I congratulate you for your decision to further your commitment to playing LP records. What cartridge will you use?

How would your friends, who don't share this interest in LPs, prefer you to spend the money? On whatever their hobby or interest is? I know my wife would rather I spend money on cologne, jewelry and cutlery. I respect her interests, and luckily she respects mine.

timztunz, Dr Faustus and Slick Willie like this.
  3. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

All the best to you and your new table. Pro-Ject have a great reputation for "bang for buck".

What album will Christen your new table?

royzak2000 and Dr Faustus like this.
  4. Dr Faustus

Thanks, Warren. I moved to Europe in 1993 and sold my vinyl when I did so (I had around 3000 albums). I hate that I did that. So I was able to pick up the Dual for such a great price and started buying vinyl again. And I love it. There is to my hears a much warmer sound to it than to CDs. And the experience is much better - cleaning the album, putting it on the turntable and then listening to it while looking at the cover. It's a better experience. So no problem in dropping some money on a new turntable. My friends think I should have gone on a trip or bought something for the house. Fortunately, my wonderful partner supported my gettin the turntable even though she doesn't quite understand the need for it. We respect each other's interests as well. It works. She's amazing - I am very fortunate.

I'll probably leave the Ortofon 2mm Red cartridge on it for a while. My first upgrade will be some new interconnects (any suggestions?) and a new turntable mat. Then we shall see. :)

royzak2000 and action pact like this.
  5. Dr Faustus

Thanks, Buddy. Now there's a good question. I just got a copy of R.E.M.'s Accelerate that I haven't listened to yet. But I suspect it will be Bruce's Born to Run. I picked up a used copy of that a few weeks ago and it sounds amazing. The other option that I'm thinking of is Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert. One of my favourite albums - that atmosphere is amazing. Can't wait!

6. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

Congrats. I have the same turntable, I like it a lot. I actually prefer to spin without a mat. You can since it has an acrylic platter.

Dr Faustus likes this.
  7. Dr Faustus

Cool - glad you like it. I'm a bit nervous as I'm buying it unheard. I don't think mine has an acrylic platter, but I can upgrade to one later.

8. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

I think you're going to love it. You might not need it but I followed this video to set mine up. Might save you some time.

panasoffkee and Dr Faustus like this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I do not own the Project Debut turntable, but I have seen them in stores. As far as I can tell, they have all the essential elements necessary that you would need without taking out a mortgage for a VPI or something of that class.

Dr Faustus likes this.
  10. Dr Faustus

Just what I needed - thanks!

11. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

What a joyous day! Enjoy!

Dr Faustus and royzak2000 like this.
  12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Happy New Turntable Day!

13. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

[​IMG] Congrats. And a very nice looking turntable it is !!!

Dr Faustus likes this.
  14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Yeh wallow beautifully in what vinyl you have, you won't look back.

Dr Faustus likes this.
  15. Dr Faustus

It is very nice looking. Almost got the black but ended up with the red. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Ash76 and dennis the menace like this.
  16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The other bonus, perhaps I'm wrong, is that your location may give you access to some wonderful pressings, unless Birmingham has been cleaned out by dealers. enjoy your new table.

Dr Faustus likes this.
  17. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------------\
    Refurbish your old Dual by taking the arm and its assocated parts off and install a new Rega 202 arm on it and then decide. I did that with my old Dual 502 and it sounds great. The arm was $329 from BritAudio.

Dr Faustus likes this.
  18. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Or... give away your Dual, convert another fool...

Dr Faustus and dennis the menace like this.
  19. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Looking forward to your initial impressions. Congrats!

Dr Faustus likes this.
  20. padreken

padreken Senior Member

A fine choice-my brother has one and it sounds great. Enjoy!

Dr Faustus likes this.
  21. Dr Faustus

There's still some good finds here, but pricey. Haven't bought anything expensive since my turntable isn't very good. But now.... It's a very good thing my partner loves music as well and is VERY understanding about this.

Ash76 likes this.
  22. Dr Faustus

Hadn't really thought of that. I've already made arrangements for the turntable - it's going to a young musician I know who is just getting into vinyl.

Ash76 likes this.
  23. Dr Faustus

Yup - that's what I'm doing. The vinyl conspiracy lives on!

24. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Enjoy.

25. Dr Faustus

[​IMG]

Well, that's it! I've set it up - thanks to Nowhere Man's video. First album I listened to was John Coltrane's Blue Train and I was blown away. The bottom end was amazing as well as the soundstage. Better in every way than my Dual and I really liked my Dual. I've also listened to the Mofi In My Tribe and thought it wasn't working because it was so quiet until the music started. Listening to the Four Men with Beatds pressing of Fairport Convention's Liege and Lief. Sandy has never sounded so good. I am looking forward to playing all of my vinyl now. Thank you all very much for the good wishes and the advice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.