The Black Crowes have apparently broken up

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HotelYorba101, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

I don't doubt Chris is a lot happier leading the CRB, but he's not making anywhere near as much money as he would be if the Crowes were touring. I'll be surprised if the Crowes aren't back together and on the road again within a few more years, if only for the paycheck.

2. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

True. And actually I recall Gorman talking publicly about it before Rich. Have loved Chris as well but he is a fraud with an exceptional voice

Carserguev likes this.
  3. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

I think The Crowes are done. The other break-ups felt more like hiatuses. This feels and sounds final. I definitely can't see Gorman ever back with Chris. And imo if Chris and Rich are the only true band members left then it just isn't The Black Crowes. Chris came off as such a jerk in his demands.
    Plus I've felt for several years now that Chris' voice can't handle competing with loud electric rock guitars any longer. On the last few tours it sounded like he was straining whereas in the 90's he could just belt it out. There are some fans who feel Chris' vocals have never been the same since they did that tour with Jimmy Page in '99 - trying to hit Robert Plant notes is not easy.

DrBeatle, jammincrowe and painted8 like this.
  4. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris and Rich revisit the Crowes once their bank accounts drop to a certain level, but I'd be shocked if Gorman would return to that circus and it's not the Crowes without Gorman.

5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The CRB is doing very well artistically, and as far as building a following. I'm just not seeing a return to the Crowes anytime soon.

#OneOccupation likes this.
  6. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I've had the boot dvd of this since 98' Fantastic show!

7. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Yeah, they also did the first part of the fall tour - I was at their last show opening for TBC, 10/1/96 ST L American Theatre. The next night, God Street Wine opened at Memorial Hall in KC.

Good times.

8. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

One of those guys played on some of the Amorica/Tall Sessions. Don Herron I think.

9. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Donnie played on My Heart's Killing Me from Band. He's also guested with them onstage, most recently with Rich in Nashville last week.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  10. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That's it.

11. telepicker97

He's also on Croweology

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

"Artistic" doesn't pay the bills, though, sadly. They're still playing venues maybe a fifth of the size that the Crowes used to do, and aren't doing the kind of thing that would win over a large number of new fans outside of the Crowes/jam-band fanbase. It's amazing how much a need for money can help musicians get over their feuds. (see: the Stone Roses)

13. #OneOccupation

#OneOccupation Well-Known Member

I'm curious, what makes you think Chris Robinson has any problems paying his bills?

xTraPlaylists likes this.
  14. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Exactly. That dude ain't hurtin. CRB does good business and tours constantly. They have Betty Cantor Jackson taping their shows. Plus Crowes residuals and whatever else. I'm not saying never but I doubt it will be because CR needs it.

15. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

Driving home last night I had the music CRANKED. After driving thru a green light I started wondering what all the cars in front of me were doing as they were all stopping and spreading out.

I thought there must be a fire truck or cop or crash or something. Then right next to me was an ambulance with its lights on.

The music was so loud I could not even hear the siren. As a Black Crowes fan you probably know what song was playing.

Yep, that’s the one, “Another Roadside Tragedy”.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It is very interesting how wildly different Chris Robinson's music has changed since the Black Crowes' heyday.

ARK likes this.
  17. telepicker97

Plus, he has custody of his son, gets child support from his richer-than-**** ex-wife, who he also got a FAT lump sum from her in the divorce...so it doesn't matter to him that CRB is relative peanuts compared to TBC. This is where his head is at, for better or for worse, depending on where you're at with it.

ARK and #OneOccupation like this.
  18. telepicker97

Eating mass quantities of psychedelics and reading philosophy everyday in between flying back and forth between your kids and gigs while barely ever sleeping has to have something to do with it.

ARK likes this.
  19. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Chris Robinson has a net worth of 10 million according to those celebrity net worth thingy's. Not really hurting for cash it would seem. The CRB is where his head is at right now. Travel, make music because he wants to, doesn't need to. Sounds pretty good to me. Yes, I'm a Brotherhood fan.

20. Arkay_East

I'm fine with it personally, as if it mattered. CRB is a niche band but they are pretty good at what they do.

21. walrus

Agreed. I wish I was more onboard with it, but it hasn't really grabbed me, and neither has Rich's stuff. Chris needs a strong guitar player behind him, and Rich needs a singer. If only either of them knew where to find the other...

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

True, but you could see it coming in the Crowes' later days.

ARK likes this.
  23. Arkay_East

Chris has Neal Casal ... That's not exactly a bad deal ...

#OneOccupation and krisjay like this.
  24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I'd rather see Neal playing w Ryan Adams again.

25. walrus

No, but...it's the Chris Robinson Brotherhood, not a band of creative equals. I mean, i'd probably enjoy them if I saw them live, but I haven't been able to get into their records, and I think it's largely because it's a jam band in which the primary composer/driver is a singer, not an instrumentalist. FWIW, I couldn't really get into the last two Crowes records either, so it's probably just my personal tastes. I love The Band, but I liked the Crowes more when they were pretending to be the Stones instead.

Rhett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.