Sinatra CDs on Jazz Heritage label?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by czeskleba, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member Thread Starter

In the used record store I saw a couple of Capitol-era Sinatra CDs on the "Jazz Heritage" label (In the Wee Small Hours and Come Dance with Me). On the back it says licensed from Capitol Records, copyright 1998. The cover photos on each look a little blurry. Anyone familiar with these? Are these legit releases? Do they use the Walsh mastering, the Nordberg, or do they feature their own unique mastering?

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

A very good question that perhaps MMM our Sinatra Scholar in residence might be able to answer.

Both albums are Sinatra Classics and two of my all time favorites.

I'm curious about this too.

Martin, can you tell us anything.

Best regards,

Gary

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

C'mon now, a little more info, please.

What is the country of origin?

I'm sure they cloned the blechy No-Noised masters. I doubt they would go back to the originals, and even if they did, they would automatically No-Noise them going through the system.

4. RDK

RDK Active Member

Jazz Heritage, I believe, is a mail-order club, like a jazz version of Columbia House. I believe all their discs are digital clones, but I've never compared any side-by-side.

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I've never seen these - sorry.

1998 - that's when the first Norberg Sinatra Capitol album remasters came out. The Norberg masters of In the Wee Small Hours and Come Dance With Me was first released then. I'll take a guess and say these are copies of those, but don't hold me to it :).

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member Thread Starter

US origin. The discs were in those plastic CD holders that used stores use, so I couldn't see the inside of the booklets for more info (guess I could have asked the clerk, but I didn't).

7. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I'm going to dredge up this thread, because I found a Jazz Heritage copy of "Come Swing With Me", which according to the booklet, uses a "remastered" (that's the word they use) 1991 Larry Walsh version. It's stereo, and catalog #515021K.

Any quick way to tell if this is actually the re-mix?

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

If sourced from Larry's as stated, it's a then (1991) new mix.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It's almost certainly the 1991 Walsh mix. Those Jazz Heritage CDs were dated 1998, but the Norberg version of Come Swing With Me! was not released until 2000. (In the Concepts cardboard box set; the single CD issue was in 2002.)

It was demonstrated definitively in another thread that the Jazz Heritage reissue of Where Are You? was the 1991 Walsh version. See these posts:

—> The FRANK SINATRA recordings thread
    —> Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Where Are You?" (1957 album)

10. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

I like Jazz Heritage version of the Australian 59 show with Red Norvo. It is complete...not missing the Norvo solo like the Blue Note CD. I also like that they list the songs on the CD itself.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Wee Small Hours on Jazz Heritage: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...recordings-thread.161334/page-22#post-4727255

I've got some Jazz Heritage CDs, such as the great BILLIE HOLIDAY on Decca set that @Steve Hoffman did back in, I think, around 1989, and the Jazz Heritage set is a very straightforward reissue of the Decca/MCA/GRP set, but in a dual jewel case. Mastering is identical, liner notes are reprinted, etc. All corporate logos are removed, and the Jazz Heritage Society logo is used in their place. That's it.

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.