Spongebob Squarepants: Sponge Out of Water movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I took the kids to see this. I still can't decide if it's the worst movie ever made or the best. All I know is my eyes bulged out at some the of the craziest 3D yet. A time machine sequence was like the acid trip I never took. Wild! The movie itself made virtually no sense (well, it sort of had a story) but everything was so insane it was truly surreal. A 3D world inside Spongebob's brain was a highlight -- silly imagery like an old Disney cartoon. I may never recover from this movie.

black sheriff likes this.
  2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I have no excuse for seeing this movie (i.e., I don't have kids), but I saw it in a theater anyway. It exceeded my expectations because it had more of the silly charm of the TV series than the first SpongeBob movie had.

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I missed the 3D screenings :(

4. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I think there's a 3D blu ray of it now...

Derek

Scope J likes this.
  5. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

Oh, hi Derek! We met a couple times in the 80's. The National Association for the Advancement of Time (NAFTAT) salutes you.

Derek Gee likes this.
  6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

To be released in June 2015.

7. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Hi! For the unaware, NAFTAT was a organization founded by my friends Gene, Bruce, and John in the 80s. Somewhere in my video archives I have their appearance on the Today Show (I think).

Derek

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-08-01/news/vw-664_1_things-past

8. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

We liked the first one a lot better than this one.

9. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I agree. I think it's the best. I took my kids to see it the week of release in 3D and we were all three laughing through the entire movie. Mission accomplished.

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Antonio really shined in it.

11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I liked the TV show, then the first movie completely left a sour taste in my mouth and I never really watched the TV show again.

Sathington Willoughby likes this.
  12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Anyone know if this blu ray comes with an iTunes download code? or is it JUST ultraviolet? I hate ultraviolet, and trying to see which version of this to buy for my kids. If it's ultraviolet only, I'll just get the film on iTunes.

13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The first half was a bore, but once they got onto dry land and things started getting really weird, it became a lot of fun. Very psychedelic!

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I took my kids to see it at the theatre. We enjoyed it :)

15. Sathington Willoughby

Sathington Willoughby Well-Known Member

Man, Spongebob was such a great, clever show in the pre-movie era, before Hillenburg sold out.

Criticism of declining quality

Critics' reviews of early SpongeBob episodes praised the show for its wit, clever humor, and "uncanny brilliance".[193] However, in 2005, around the airing of season four, the tone and emphasis of the show began to change. Some fans "began to turn away from the show", causing online fansites to "[become] deserted".[114] They pointed to a shift from clever humor to what they perceived as "boring, unfunny humor [...] geared too much towards children".[194]

Paul Tibbitt, showrunner since season four, has been the subject of criticism.[194] While The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was generally well received by fans of the show, it is also considered a turning point in the show's history, as many fans believe the decline occurred after the film's release,[114] when Stephen Hillenburg resigned as showrunner and Tibbitt was appointed to replace him. Episodes produced since the movie have been variously categorized as "kid-pandering attention-waster",[195] "tedious",[196] "boring" and "dreck",[197] a "depressing plateau of mediocrity",[198] and "laugh-skimpy".[199]

Some believe the show's ratings decline as of 2012 correlates with the alleged decline in quality, and "whatever fan support [the show] enjoys is not enough" to save it from its ratings slide.[114]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpongeBob_SquarePants#Criticism_of_declining_quality

drivingfrog likes this.
  16. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

LSD is in the water.

17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, one can find fans of any show who get bored after a while and then construct arguments to explain why the show is no longer as good. And, in fact, many times shows do lose some of their creative edge after a while. The same thing happens in music. People fresh out of the gate have a lot of creative ideas. It's rare that an artist continues to come up with fresh, new material versus recycling the same ideas again and again.

For the record, I actually think SpongeBob SquarePants has had both bad and very good episodes after it supposedly went downhill (according to the Wiki article). One of my favorite SpongeBob episodes ever is from season 8: Bubble Buddy Returns. I have probably watched that episode more than any other episode from the series and it makes me laugh out loud every time.

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watching it with a coupon
    for on-demand

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

First one was better , imho

21. stuguy

stuguy Forum Resident

Do they still make new episodes?