Slash and Axl are friends again, speaking for the first time since 1996

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

He definitely has good nights and bad nights. Sounded pretty bad in 2002, but great in 2006. Pretty good last time I saw him in 2011, but then almost unlistenable on that Las Vegas DVD. Surprised that even got released (and aired on TV as well), it didn't really do him any favors.

2. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Only speaking for myself but I saw them in 2011 at the Izod Center in Jersey and the place was pretty full to my eyes, not saying it was a sellout but didn't stick out as not doing great. Plus that is a large venue, IDK what we're calling a small-ish venue? They def aren't playing clubs or civic centers, they're playing real arenas.

3. Uly Gynns

Uly Gynns Forum Resident Thread Starter

Released Dec 1994.

longaway likes this.
  4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Clearly Izzy was the most talented of the bunch. His songwriting skills were missing after '91. A legit reunión has to have him on it.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agree with your take on Izzy. Axl and Slash together would likely be enough to generate significantly more interest in the band than there is now. Still, including Duff and Izzy would put it over the top. Nevertheless, one wonders if Izzy would even be up for the demands of a major reunion project.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When Axl n Roses came to the DC area in 2012, they played the Fillmore Silver Spring. Nice venue - holds about 2000.

If Wiki is right, Axl sold about 14,000 for the Izod show you mention, which is pretty good. Their figures list as one of only 2 US shows that sold more than 10,000 tickets - apparently the Dallas show moved 12,000.

I don't claim the current version of GnR has no appeal and can't move any tickets. I do claim that they can't sell large numbers of tickets consistently at US venues.

I don't think they've played a "real arena" in the US since the end of 2011 - and as noted, most of those "real arenas" were half-full at best...

7. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I rest my ****ing case.

They didn't play any shows...their only release was a turgid cover that in the past could have been incindiary for them, but my 1994, it was over...GN'R WAS KAPUT.

And they sure as **** didn't tour with Metallica in 1994.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  8. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

I'm all for a G'n'R reunion as long as Axl doesn't wear those tight biker pants again.

9. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Additionally, that cover was completely overhauled by Axl, with minimal involvement from the rest of the band. I'm pretty sure Slash stated that Axl had most of his guitar parts removed and overdubbed by Paul Huge.

Fullbug likes this.
  10. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Well, you may be right but it could also be that Axl realizes that his solo band has run out of steam. Slash and Duff have had 20 years away from GNR to do their own thing and I have no doubt they don't want to have their last memories of that band to be 95-97. Izzy has also been away for a long time, and I'm sure if he comes back it will be a part-time gig. So they just need to find a way to get along. They probably won't, but most of them get on just fine. It's a couple of relationships that will be on life support early on.

You never know...a lot of folks never thought things would progress to even this point.

11. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I dig both he and Sorum, but I prefer Matt. And yes, I don't play!

Matt's drumming on UYI albums wasn't the best, but he's great in VR. In all truth I think a reunion includes both guys.

12. Tensilversaxes

Tensilversaxes Well-Known Member

Thanks! My timeline is off. Axel was on time for the GNR/Metallica, but the previous GNR show I saw they were pretty late. I remember Soundgarden opened up for GNR at that first show I went to. The place was empty while they played. I watched them though and thought, "Who are THESE guys?"

telepicker97 likes this.
  13. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I saw them 5/6/88 Music Hall, Cleveland; 6/5/91 Richfield Coliseum; and 11/24/02 Gund Arena, Cleveland. 1988 was definitely the best of the shows. I remember Zodiac Mindwarp and UDO (Dirkschneider from Accept) opened. Richfield show was huge UYI tour. The 2002 Axl show was much better than I anticipated and a really good time.

I think a reunion is inevitable. I'd guess next summer. I'm sure I'll be there. So many of my friends -- even (especially?) -- the ones that don't really follow music anymore will want to go. Will be fun to go on that nostalgia trip with them.

I really doubt there would be any new music.

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I was listening to some of Slash's solo stuff earlier today, and now all I'm thinking is "man, I wish he'd held on to these riffs until he could get back in a room with Axl."

enro99 likes this.
  15. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

Slash isn't even on this.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  16. telepicker97

Yeah its Paul Huge.

And it's terrible

enro99 likes this.
  17. Uly Gynns

Slash is on it.
    The only time you hear Paul Huge's guitar is as the 'answer' to Slash's first solo in the left channel of your headphones; basically playing off the line Slash played. Slash is on the right channel; and the last solo is by Slash alone.
    All guitars are otherwise by Slash.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. Uly Gynns

The rest of the band plays on the song. No 'overhaul'
    Also, Paul Huge only has a very tiny part in the song:
    In the first solo, his guitar is in the left channel, doing an 'answer' to the part Slash just played in the right. That's all Paul Huge contributed to the song.
    The lineup of the song was Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt, Dizzy, Paul Huge.

"I wanted to do the [cover version], because it would get band together in one room and maybe start getting things rolling. It didn't work. Matt, Duff and I got together in the studio and did the music - we're the bricklayers, you know." (Slash, Metal Edge Magazine, 04/95)

"[The three of us] rocked, that part of it was great, but it didn't do what I'd hoped." (Slash, Metal Edge Magazine, 04/95)

"Paul Huge came in with Axl... Then Axl went in to do vocals, and the next thing you know, there's this "answer" guitar going on during my guitar solo! It's Paul Huge! It really took me off guard. It's not like it was lousy guitar playing or anything; I think it's how it went down. I will probably never forgive Axl for that. But we talked about it." (Slash, Kerrang, 01/95)

Fullbug likes this.
  19. Uly Gynns

Axl and Slash are also on this song, which was written by their friend West Arkeen (who co-wrote a lot of Guns songs, including It's So Easy). This song is from 1996 and is the last song they play on together. Axl's on harmony vocal and Slash on lead guitar.

20. Uly Gynns

Also, creatively speaking, the first Slash's Snakepit album was supposed to be the next GN'R album; it was presented as a complete instrumental album by Slash and Gilby Clarke to the rest of the band, but Axl and Duff vetoed it, calling it southern rock.

Szeppelin75 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I would love to hear Axl do "Beggars And Hangers On".

22. telepicker97

Guns could have been a badass 'SOUTHERN ROCK' band (I hate that term on general principle)

Fullbug likes this.
  23. Stormrider77

To be fair, that tour was called the Up Close And Personal tour, the whole point was to do clubs after coming off the arena tour so the point was to play smaller venues.
    But I don't argue the main point you're making, it's entirely possible that they did a smaller scale leg because they didn't sell well enough on the arena level nation-wide. Without any new product I do agree that the current version of GNR isn't going to light the rock world on fire any time soon.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Did you used to manage a certain hard rock band? ;)

Fullbug and SizzleVonSizzleton like this.
  25. Stormrider77

:D LOL, Hey I admitted your point was most likely the proper one! I'm just sayin' the tour was called that. I do enjoy GNR but I'm not delusional about their popularity in the USA with the current line-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.