The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

This morning, with a little rain falling: 10 Dec 1973 II- Charlotte, NC. China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider deep in set 2. In sync with today's "Cool Colorado Rain."

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I also haven't listened to some of the shows enough to do a definitive list, but mine would include 5/9/77 Buffalo and 5/25/77 Richmond. First show of the tour 4/22/77 Philadelphia is also a very good one.

US Blues likes this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That night's "Playing In The Band" is excellent.

US Blues likes this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Frank Zappa has a song on Sheik Yerbouti called "Porch Crusher."

Erik B. and budwhite like this.
  5. US Blues

Phil is crushing the China > Rider transition! 27 August 1972, Veneta, OR.

Scopitone, nitsuj and budwhite like this.
  6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

17 May, 21 May, 22 May, 25 May, 28 May and...9 June.

June counts, right? If it doesn't, swap it for 15 May...or maybe 11 May...or maybe even 9 May...

7. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Speaking of '77, I accidentally just posted this in the 30 Trips thread instead of here:

Late '77 really is thrilling, isn't it? It's so hard to put the difference between it and Spring '77 into words but it's so obvious when you hear it. It's raunchier or edgier. Sexier even. I listened to Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 2 plus the bonus disc plus the filler on DP Vol. 29 and...well...I can see why some wanted the full shows of 11 and 16 October '77 out there. The stuff we got (the balance of the shows) is outstanding. The Let It Grow from 11 October isstunning and the second set jam from 16 October is one of my favourite Dead jams of all.

Now I'm going through DP Vol. 34 and Dave's 11 for the first time in a long time. I found the first set of 2 November '77 (mostly from Dave's 11 with a few bits on DP 34) disappointing. The first set only really picks up at the end (Lightning> Supplication and Might As Well). The Scarlet from the second set is perfunctory and the Fire is almost pointless. They just don't sound into it.

Then a light bulb must turn on because the rest of the show is perfect: Estimated> Saint Stephen> Truckin'> Around and the Terrapin encore. This Estimated is my favourite and the rest of it is thunderous. The Terrapin is a bit mellower and is precise but is still strident.

Of course, the first set from 4 November (Dave's 11) is totally unlike the first set on 2 November - just magnificent. For me, a good guide to how Jerry is going in '77 is his solo on Brown-Eyed Women. It's usually good - at the very least - but the 4 November performance is other worldly. I don't know how he can sustain that creativity in a single solo. It is up there with 28 May '77 as a favourite.

Oh...what do you know?http://headyversion.com/song/40/grateful-dead/brown-eyed-women/ puts Barton Hall miles ahead (as usual) but lists 28 May and 4 November as the next two.

US Blues likes this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It's the best pre feelin groovy version imho.

But I gotta help my grandma with some stuff before I hit the show.
    And bbq a few burgers and have a couple of pints so I'm in the right mood

:chill:

US Blues likes this.
  9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The spring tour, as I understand it, goes from April 22nd to May 28th, even though early June is still spring for you living in the Northern Hemisphere.

Edit: I've just realized you live in the Southern Hemisphere.

Six Bachelors and US Blues like this.
  10. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I'm spinning 8/27/72 for the anniversary of the Springfield Creamery Benefit and having some of Nancy's delicious all natural yogurt.

On another note, DeadBase 50 arrived this week and I've been digging in this week. At first, I was disappointed by having the updates as a separate section and not integrated into one big, happy updated edition. Notes from the authors indicated that the technology used when last editions were published did not allow them to carry it forward for modern updates, which I get. That being said, I love the new edition! It's awesome having GarciaBase and all of the new reviews and content. My well worn softcover edition of DeadBase X can finally be retired, with honor. Yes, it's a tad expensive, but Amazon points took the edge off the pain. Brings back great pre-Internet memories of pouring over DeadBase and tape trading lists looking for that next batch of Maxells containing Good 'Ol Grateful Dead!

US Blues likes this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My six from May '77, in chronological order are:

5/7/77 Boston
    5/8/77 Cornell
    5/9/77 Buffalo
    5/17/77 Tuscaloosa
    5/21/77 Lakeland
    5/22/77 Pembroke Pines

Honorable mention to 5/19, which lost out to Boston. Caveat is I have not heard many of the April shows, or Baltimore

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I was there. It was great. Thanks for the heads up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    budwhite likes this.
  13. US Blues

The East Coast Spring Tour was scheduled so Donna and the boys could be in NYC on June 1st for the premier of The Grateful Dead Movie. One of the best shows in that time period was at the LA Forum on 4 June, but no SBD exists in the Vault. There is a good audience recording in circulation.

Side note: The beauty of the internet is that we can meet and converse with you fellows in far-flung, South of the Equator places. "So glad you made it!"

14. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Live at Family Dog at the Great Highway on 1969-08-29
    Set 2

Casey Jones, Easy Wind, Me And My Uncle > High Time, New Orleans > Searchin > Good Lovin' Jam > Good Lovin', Dire Wolf > King Bee, Turn On Your Love Light

Great setlist closing with a 30 min Lovelight. :righton:

Paperback Writer and US Blues like this.

15. Did I leave out Row Jimmy Row from DP28 for praise?
    Put it in!

Great - yet 'disciplined' version featuring Jerry Garcia vocals that are absolute top shelf.

budwhite likes this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That is possibly my favorite "Jack Straw". Well, it's at least one of them, that's for sure.

Paperback Writer and budwhite like this.
  17. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Not organ - actually one of these: a Polymoog,

[​IMG]

18. budwhite

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Badly sunburt shoulders, or back, or arms are painful. I wouldn't like to imagine the same sensation on another intimate part of the body. Thankfully (for him and all of us), that guy put on some clothes later on!
    One of the best shows from that year (and remember, we're discussing 1972!).

20. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

Last night I combined the Hard to Handle from the above show with a clip from the first X-Rated feature animation in the U.S., Fritz the Cat.

May not be suitable in certain work arenas.

21. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Totally loving 12-29-77 on Dick's Picks 10:

[​IMG]

22. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I agree that it's an excellent version, but my favorite from '72 is one that never seems to get talked about: 3/28/72 from DP #30. Bobby is well up in the mix and his playing is excellent. Also, at ~4:40, Jerry does a circular lick shortly before the CD cuts to Rider (a rather arbitrarily-placed cut, IMO) and then starts into a new set of very languid, country licks and then reprises his circular lick at ~0:34 that sets up one of the most marvelous little moments they've ever had. 0:46-0:54 of Rider is the boppiest sound they ever got. It's silly good.

Paperback Writer and US Blues like this.
  23. budwhite

Bobby really shines on China>Rider. And on this particular version I gotta agree with the us blues guy - Phil ownes it!

US Blues likes this.
  24. US Blues

[​IMG]

25. budwhite

The 5.1 sound mix on sunshine daydream is lovely. Clear, thick and punchy. And Phil heavy. So cool when he enters China cat

Rne and Paperback Writer like this.