Thoughts on Led Zeppelin's How The West Was Won

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Jul 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

FYI: The DVD-A has a 2 channel track as well so no need to mixdown the 5.1

telepicker97 likes this.
  2. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

Useless advise actually... LA '72 and Long Beach '72 soundboards are not in circulation as well as all the shows from 1972.

3. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I have written this identical comment many times, so thanks for saving me the trouble this time around. It would be up with Live at Leeds or any other epic live album. Same could be said with Dylan '66, but that's another thread.... had they issued that in '67 during his down time.... oh my God.

bpmd1962, wavethatflag and jamesmaya like this.
  4. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

5. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Yeah, who needs those horribly compressed professionally mixed multi-tracks when you can get copies of unmixed soundboard cassettes? That's the real deal, mannnnn.....

(pinkrudy, I acknowledge you were being sarcastic in your post... and I join your sarcasm).

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  6. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

yea there is no sbds from 72.....there is BBC1971(look for a complete bootleg) that sounds better than the official release also. hampton 1971..decent quality soundboard. orlando 1971 is best. from 1970...royal albert hall is in wonderful quality ripped from the dvd.
    in 69...there fillmore west...in 1973 there is tons...all sounding wonderful and raw..

7. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

if you actually heard one... youd get quite a wake up call.
    look for empress valley label...they are the best for zeppelin. anything from73-77 soundboard wise is amazing.
    how the west(should have been) won.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  8. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Got 'em all. HTWWW is still better, especially the 5.1 mix.

9. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Agreed.Sound is paramount around here.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  10. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

somehow i dont believe you.

11. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

1. We talk about US Tour '72. How can you advise Fillmore '69 or Orlando '71. LZ '69 or LZ '71 is not the same as LZ '72.
    2. RAH '70 or Paris Theatre '71 are properly mixed recordings from multitracks! Don't break the rule of your post :)
    3. There's no LZ SBD recording which is better than DVD 2003 soundtrack for example. Even Flying Circus is close but NOT better.

markbrow likes this.
  12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Really? Then you don't know s*** about me and my Zep collection.

Good day, sir. I said GOOD DAY!

13. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

well...theres no 72 soundboards....but htwww was so butchered...anyway...i suppose its the best 72 document....but not the best sounding or live release in general..
    id recommend that RAH release though...it was done right SQ wise.

14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i was trying to help...or maybe lead you down a horrible path... your decision was for the best.

15. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin how the west was won was terrible. First it's a concert album and all 5.1 concert albums just dont sound right. Plus in concert they never play there music in the original form for this i cant say i like the album

16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

My all time favorite live album. Zeppelin at their peak. If it was released in 1972, people would have it in their top 5 all time live albums with Live at Leeds. Immigrant Song is insane, and the Whole Lotta Love medley crazy good.
    edit - shine daddy said the same thing I did but a month earlier!

mark renard likes this.
  17. 905

905 Senior Member

There are probably fifteen threads already on this.

Devon likes this.
  18. GreatKingRat

GreatKingRat Well-Known Member

You can't have an "analog sourced" version of something that is digitally mixed and mastered.

Lost In The Flood and Shak Cohen like this.
  19. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I was a huge Zep fan and I had this a few years ago.I didn't think it was that good.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Could somebody recommend a particularly strong soundboard recording from 1973? I like HTWWW well enough, but the mastering stinks and I prefer more of a "warts and all" presentation when it comes to live performances. Beyond the excellent DVD, I don't feel like I've gotten a clear picture of what this band was capable of live.

21. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Calling Jimmy Page, Calling Jimmy Page, we have another re-mix project for you!

22. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

For better or worse, the sound of How the West Was Won is reminiscent of what you would hear if you were in the audience in a large stadium. It does not sound like a soundboard.

23. misko

misko Forum Resident

I 've had this since its release and it is an excellent document of Led Zeppelin live. I 'm not the biggest Led Zep fan but, I feel that the DVD set they put together was just marvelous especially in light of how many years their fans had been clamoring for quality live performances. When they finally got around to producing these live DVD and Cd collections they hit it out of the park.

Devon, Texastoyz and Fastnbulbous like this.
  24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sadly, some of us weren't collecting the format at that time. :cry: Why couldn't they reissue this one on BR or something?

pablorkcz likes this.
  25. old school

old school Senior Member

How the West Was Won is a great live performance I was lucky too see live at the Long Beach Arena songs that appear on the 27th of June 1972.
    Led Zeppelin smoked that night!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.