Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Season 5 trailer:

Struggling to reconcile her guilt and disillusionment with years of working on the front lines in the "war on terror," Carrie finds herself in a self-imposed exile in Berlin, estranged from the CIA and working as the head of security for a German philanthropist.

Willkommen liebchen :)

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Looks good--thanks!

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

still one of the best shows on TV.

Karnak likes this.
  4. blueEyedSoul

blueEyedSoul Active Member

I wasn't sure that it would work without Damian Lewis, but was pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to season 5.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, I thought season 5 kicked off brilliantly. Not only is it topical, but also the setup rang true, especially when Quinn expressed an obvious truth about a lack of overarching strategy in the region. Lot of potential there and fine performances by the principal cast. Can't wait for the next ep.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I no longer have Showtime so I'm skipping this season until it hits disc, perhaps. I was somewhat disappointed last season, and can wait.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

he is going to be in a new showtime series "billions" starting in january.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i liked it too, my wife asked why everyone always gets kidnapped on 'homeland'....she actually has a point.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's how clandestine operations roll.

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

That's how we know they're evil.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

That's weak writing.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I agree, though I wish he would have offered a suggestion other than 200,000 troops and a permanent presence. Oh yeah, he did suggest they could bomb it to oblivion, and I'm sure he didn't mean conventional bombs. Would have been nice to see someone put forward the idea of simply leaving.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

:rolleyes:

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Not the right crowd to expect that alternative from. Probably something that would come from Carrie's new employer.

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

True. Though Quinn was telling them things they didn't want to hear, and it seems as if he's commented on the futility of what we (he, Carrie, intelligence agencies, etc) were doing there before, so I don't think it would have been entirely out of character for him to voice that in the room.

Rufus McDufus and sberger like this.
  16. littleugly

littleugly Well-Known Member

Good first episode, penned by none other than Ted Mann.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ep3 wasn't as good as the previous two eps. While there were some interesting developments, I hated the whole Carrie-going-off-her-meds again thing. In fact, that's why I liked the first two eps - Carrie was a 'normal', smart, functioning person good at her job and happy.

I don't have a problem with her being pulled back into CIA intrigue (well, that's the show!), but what the writers are saying is basically, the only way a complicated case can be solved is for Carrie to tap into her mental superpowers by going off her meds and acting crazy! Claire Danes is much better than that. They don't need to play up the crazy angle to sustain interest.

Rufus McDufus and stuguy like this.
  18. Yes, the Carrie off her meds story line is a bit tiresome.

Good ending. Can't wait to see the next episode.

stuguy likes this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought that ep 4 was very good and no crazy Carrie - yay! A side observation, this episode shows the perils of working current world events into the narrative - Syria in this case. The story hinges on flipping a Syrian general to take over from Bashar al-Assad, as Assad is seen to be weak, given the strides ISIS is making.

The writers could not have foreseen (at the time of writing and shooting) that the situation would be totally changed with Putin stepping in to prop up Assad, who is now much stronger than before.

But even so, an enjoyable episode.

20. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Carrie off her meds is very tiresome. We've been down that road a lot. It's not necessary for the plot. It's forced. Danes shouldn't be a producer on the show. She shouldn't have any say in it. If they were
    smart they would kill off her character or write off in a happy ending. Just do something else. There are plenty of great stories that they can tell. They don't need to keep going back to this. Ugh.
    I thought last season was pretty good despite her and now they go back to this. I have yet to see this week's episode, but if the season depends on Carrie's drama, I may be done with it.

21. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

Haven't read anything about the new season but I'd wager my home and next born that Carrie is off her meds at some point.

22. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

It's already happened and as I mentioned it's too forced. It's ridiculous even by the show's standard of ridiculous story telling and Carrie's behavior.

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Ep.4 was a good one. When Carrie was bandaging Quinn and he lays his head on her shoulder was a real 'awwww' moment;). The romantic aspects of the series have always been hit and miss for me. As huge of a plot line that the Carrie/Brody romance was, it never rang true to me. Neither does her current love interest. The only times I've thought it worked was between Sol and his ex, and Quinn's obvious love for Carrie. I think Carrie's character has a hard time with love, all her familial relationships also seem somewhat forced.

24. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I didn't like the first episode this season , but I've liked the rest of them. I would have no problem centering the show around Saul for a few episodes.
    No Carrie = No Homeland
    It wouldn't work without her

25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

This seasn gets a big "meh" from me. Too predictable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.