Iron Maiden new album The Book of Souls release date September 4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Slipperman, Jun 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I can't be doing with the Painkiller album and if I'm honest with myself, it's taken over twenty years for the title track to percolate yet not only is it absolutely in the 'onslaught category' of trad Metal speedsters like the tracks 'Screaming For Vengeance,' 'Defenders Of The Faith' and 'The Sentinel' but it reprises the remorselessness* of wonder works like 'Steeler.'

Yes, the lyrical quality and themes tickle that banal bone, as ref'd in my last post but the sound of that number is absolutely one of the finest moments from their catalogue: it is quintessential, post 'phase one' 'Priest (i.e. 1980-84,) bereft of any trace elements of 'lull' which had taken hold since the mid 80s.

But let me reiterate, the rest of the album is not one I tend to sit through...

Anyway, 'Maiden...

I played 'Final Frontier' last night and it kind of cemented in my mind why they are where they are: just the most solid, well, 'classic' Metal band.

Even when it gets a bit stodgy (and I don't mean the fist-in-mouth stunted production) the record retains my interest and I've been trying to figure out what or which elements compel me to play it (the record) out.

I think it may have something to do with the musicians themselves: maybe it's like Mk2 'Purple - we're talking about a 'gel' of individual and collective, technical brilliance which has quite simply perfected a musical symbiosis - 'that just works.'

From that oft defined rhythm section gallop (including individual flares of separate drum fill and bass thrum that rarely fail to excite,) to guitarists whose qualities may not always receive the plaudits their screaming contrails deserve and of course Bruce himself who has, let's face it, become the 'expected voice' which I will concede, may or may not be a boon to rock fans (I do love him, frankly.)

Yes the quality of the output varies and everyone has their preference but in terms of service to Metal and an unswerving loyalty to the creed, they are indubitably very, very special.

Heck, I think I'll even give Somewhere In Time a spin... :uhhuh:

(* This is a curiously underrated quality in the general Hard Rock universe: it was first heard in the early 70s during 'Child In Time,' 'Salisbury,' 'Freebird' and 'Rock Bottom,' before its cultivation during Ozzy's mid period with Mk1 'Sabbath (SBS and Sabotage) and then on side 2 of Rising, semi-echoing during the penultimate coda of 'Emerald' and then enjoying a flamed projection by the aforementioned Priests on 'Beyond The Realms Of Death.' There are countless other examples. Whilst styles of Hard Rock morphed into myriad alternate vectors, the full force of a rampaging but critically - sustained - charge, is my ultimate exciter.)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  2. pasker

pasker Forum Resident

cant wait :goodie:

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Well it's the best metal album that has ever been made so go ahead.

4. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

I also thought Final Frontier to be hugely disappointing. I did however, like AMOLOD.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  5. cement_head

I would be interested in a double vinyl (2 LP) version of "A Matter of Life or Death".

6. cement_head

How 'bout the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? The classic trilogy in five parts!

Merrick likes this.
  7. cement_head

Well, overly long studio time can really ruin an album. This record was apparently recorded with the early takes - while the band was still fresh. We'll have to see...(or hear) for ourselves

8. cement_head

I couldn't agree more - if "it's" not there, no amount of studio time is going to fix it.

Trillmeister likes this.
  9. Kim Olesen

Too little time spent on recording/writing/arranging has ruined many many more albums than too much time.

10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I went to pre order the CD at Amazon US and it is like.......34 dollars, WTF?

11. Trillmeister

Absolutely.

As Marcel put it, above, "it's all about the energy and the punch."

As far as I'm concerned, Metal's primary purpose is to excite and stimulate with (ideally) melody dense battery.

I think about the stone cold classics down the years (and yes, opinions will vary) but tracks just like (the first time I stood in gobsmacked amazement to) 'Sanctuary' in 1980, 'Prowler,' the opening blitz of that year's 'Neon Knights,' as well as the almost orchestral, more classical sweeps of 'Gates Of Babylon,' before, etc. etc.

So in the interests of objectivity, it would be disingenuous to suggest great tracts of most bands' albums - including 'Maiden - didn't in places or across certain epochs (depending on their longevity) descend into turgidity or ponderousness; precisely where an infusion of choice Diamond Head (take your pick) or Motörhead (I dunno, say, 'Iron Fist?') invariably reminded the connoisseur what the gig was all about in the first place.

Sorry to Kim but I don't see where too much from SIT, er, sits, in that pantheon of forty six year greatness, although it has its moments and is a perfectly serviceable slice of (what by their standards is) 'Maiden-doing-a-bit-of-prog.

marcelbr likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thats either the deluxe thing or an import

13. Trillmeister

What's the consensus (is there one) re the vinyl v. CD option, vis-à-vis sound quality, irrespective of potential mixing concerns?

14. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

You clearly haven't heard anything from W.A.S.P. in the last decade, Blackie's been on fire for a while now... Dying for the World, The Neon God duology, Dominator, Babylon, and the INCREDIBLE new album Golgotha... and I'm really serious on that one, go get the latter when it's released in October, you'll not be sorry, trust me.

I've been unfairly harsh on Maiden since their reunion, for years I've just assumed (based on momentary listens) that the reunion material can't hold a candle to their essential 1980's canon, but lately I've given it a chance and am pleasantly surprised at just how good and remarkably consistent it is overall, comparing it to their albums from the 1980's is pointless because they're not the same band as then, they have a much more pronounced progressive infuence now than ever before, Steve Harris' love for early Genesis, Yes, and even Jethro Tull has really come to the fore of late in his writing, plus Bruce Dickinson seems to be making much more headway in getting the band to expand their musical ranges than he was able to do in the 1980's... so all things considered, Maiden are having a second golden age right now, enjoy it while it lasts folks, we may not have it for much longer...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  15. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Its $20 for the cd and $33 for vinyl.

16. Kim Olesen

Hey man. Music would be boring if we all agreed :)

17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I'm seeing something different :) 11.49 mp3, 34.99 CD and 32.99 lp. Amazon US.

18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

You clearly were unaware that I stopped listening to W.A.S.P. around the time I turned 16. :D

If Blackie is releasing good stuff then I salute him, but I'll take your word for it.

19. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

It's just a mistake. On Amazon.ca, it's $14.97.

20. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

that 34.99 is for the import. You can expand it down to get the cheaper one.

johnny q likes this.
  21. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

johnny q likes this.
  22. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I pre ordered 3lp and the book of souls "book" 2cd I can't wait !

23. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

I mentioned a leak yesterday and deleted it after realizing it was fake. Apparently someone compiled some Bruce solo tracks and I didn't realize it at first because I'm not familiar with hardly any of his solo stuff. Was super bummed at first but now I'm excited to check out his solo work!

But today it did actually leak in a low bitrate and there's tons of people discussing it on all the Maiden forums. Looks like most people are loving it!

jeffgt14 likes this.
  24. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

All of Bruce's solo work is great, Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding and Scream for me Brazil are downright awesome though and he gave Maiden a run for their money ! He had Adrian by his side during this time though along with Roy Z who is also a great writer and player.

25. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Confucius says trust the reviews!

Machiventa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.