Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" 2015 Polydor vinyl record edition: sound reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Not pressed by NPO in France?

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

George, Don't have hesitations about the Marquee vinyl. It's a regular 45 or so minute album, and it does flow on vinyl very very well. It's like the ultimate bootleg but on vinyl. The songs are played well enough and again, It's just like a regular 45 min lp. :righton:
    Now the other thing is that in addition to the From The Vault LA Forum seems to have gone out of print, it seems like Hampton 81 is also out of print in the US. Amazon hasn't had regular stock for over a month now and 3rd party vendors are charging a min $85 for it. :yikes:Which, all things being equal, a 3 180 gram set with the DVD video is still worth the money. But if you can snag a copy on Amazon.de or France for under $50 I'd do it. That show, Hampton, to me is a visual drag to watch, but here again, playing it on vinyl breaks up the monotony of the video, basically seeing Mick do a 2 hour exersize video!! :whistle:

So at least with vinyl being back in my life, i don't have to mentally put in the cd and listen to what turns out to be a chore listen, but it's so f***in cool that we get fresh vinyl of these gigs, I'm so glad that they decided to put our vinyl editions of the Vault stuff.
    Oh, and I bought another LA Forum from Amazon.UK a few weeks ago, $36 shipped to the States. SCORE.
    And Hyde Park is NOT going to have a vinyl issue, in fact this 'From The Vault' issue jumps the shark pretty definitively, I hope this is not a sign of things to come, but if it is, at least we've had a good 5 issue run with the vinyl......
    the beave

YouKnowEyeKnow and George Blair like this.
  3. The Beave

If you want to hear Sticky fingers in a dramatically new way find 'Tastes So Good' on the internet. Mickboy did it and the only down to it is his use of digital noise reduction, but the damn thing, especially when played loud, is frightening in how 'audiophile' this album can sound. And when I say 'frightening' I mean it.
    the beav

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  4. The Beave

Yes, the Target 1 lp issue, at least mine, still has the dropout in You've Gotta Move, which means that again, as good as it sounds, the source tape they used is the same as it's always been.
    The bastards...... :yikes:

LOL
    the beave

5. The Beave

Hey Peter, have you ever heard the mickboy SF remaster????
    the beave

6. peter

peter Senior Member

No. Where does one find that?

7. The Beave

Glad you asked! LOL!!
    I did the comparison between the Virgin 1997 180 gram 'LPCENT' vinyl and after about 15 seconds, and going back and forth twice, I took the new Target and put it up for sale.
    The LPCENT38 issue is a very special one, it should be, I paid $86 for mine two months ago. Even though it's sourced from a Digital master tape, it is the best sounding and most crank-able version of SF on vinyl. The target sounds good, and is also crank-able, but the mastering IS compressed, not brickwalled, but compressed. The difference between the guitars/midrange for instance is startling between the two, really. On the UK Virgin everything in the sonic spectrum is nicely balanced, on the Target, the midrange, especially the guitars are much louder in the mix, which a lot of folks will find pleasing. It was a no brainer for me.
    And again, I'm not knocking the new French Target at all, if I DIDN'T have the 97 Virgin to do a direct comparison to, I definitely would have kept it.
    the beave

BrettyD, Stefano G. and jamesmaya like this.
  8. The Beave

PM me sir....
    the beave

9. Boyan

Boyan Forum Resident

At least that's what I know.

10. Andy Boyd

Andy Boyd Forum Resident

Got mine from Amazon today (2LP version). Warped badly, but plays. Sigh.

11. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

No, don't tell me that. Amazon delivered mine today too!

12. Randu

Randu Senior Member

I'd get that one replaced - Amazon is pretty good that way

13. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Yes thank you at last some love for this.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The vinyl I bought from Urban Outfitters (the Spanish cover edition) has become noisier, even after cleaning with Spinclean, on the first LP, anyway. Because the record is already at a low volume level, the noise is more apparent. On top of that, it's developed this weird bump/blister that you can see near the beginning of the 3rd track (Wild Horses). Now there's a "pop" as it passes this bump and it lasts a few revolutions.
    Not happy at all. :realmad:

15. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

That blows... Sorry to hear that. My copies had some noise that is gradually decreasing through playing and cleaning them thoroughly. The quality of these pressings are a bit depressing for sure. I wish theses were pressed by the same folks who did the Marquee 71' vinyl. That one is as perfect a pressing as I've ever had.

16. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Somehow the UO vinyl seems to have been more subpar than the standard deluxe release. I have both. My UO is very playable but definitely has a few clicks and pops not present on the standard release. For this reason it turns out I'm not sorry I bought both. The UO was mainly for the appeal of the cover. No excuse for subpar vinyl though.

17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Went by UO today downtown Montreal and I was happy to see that they had the Spanish cover copy in stock. I decided to pick it up even though I said I wouldn't, but when this thing is staring you in the face and you've actually got it in your hands, it's another story all together LOL

So I opened it up and although my copy has the same white residue that other people have talked about, the vinyl itself is flawless. I'm going to pass it through the spin clean tonight a couple of time before I even attempt to play it. I'm thinking after I put it through the spin clean I'm going to play the set through at 45rpm and then put it through another spin. I've been trying that lately with great results, and it seems the play through at 45rpm loosens stuff up and helps to clean the vinyl. I'll report back after I'm done cleaning.

Beautiful package though, so I'm really happy to have it in the collection.

YouKnowEyeKnow and Tommyboy like this.
  18. Vinyl Fan 1973

BTW, the UO downtown Montreal on St-Catherine street has one Spanish copy left for those that are here and interested. Give them a call and tell them to put it aside, the cost is $39.98.

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Fremer is giving this 6/10 for sound. Can he be listening to the same disc? I think this sounds really good and surprised me. Maybe my original is better but not by that much.

ssmith3046 and YouKnowEyeKnow like this.
  20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  21. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

His opinion is against: however it is always interesting to read his articles.

22. Vinyl Fan 1973

I would say the sound is much better than that. First I liked how the MFIT's version came out, very crankable over my system and it's a great listen. Next up is the deluxe Spanish cover vinyl I got, I was shocked by how good it sounded. I have an original Canadian zipper cover pressing and I have to say I much prefer this new vinyl reissue. It's so crankable and it really is an enjoyable listen. I'm not sure what they did EQ wise but whatever they did do, it creates a great presentation of the music on this new vinyl pressing. So 6/10 seems a little low, but by no means is it a 10/10 but it's much better than a 6.

23. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I like how most readers chose the first of four samples for new reissue calling it "lifeless" and so on, and it turned out to be a Japanese issue :righton:

24. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I played it twice. It's an 8/10 at least.

Edit: Mike bags on it pretty hard. It think his assessment is back-pedaling a bit on the "Files Idenitified" post. When he says: "This one doesn't sound quite as compressed, but when you sit down to listen, the music just seems to float by..." that seems like what many folks says about digiitally sourced vinyl. I think it's a fine LP, espcially since It was shipped free with the 2 CD set.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  25. Randu

Randu Senior Member

He is reviewing the 2-LP CZ pressed "Deluxe"version, the freebie single LP that came with the Target 2-CD set is a different pressing (French - I believe MPO)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.