Legacy Recordings Acquires Catalog of Music Legend Van Morrison

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lars1966, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Oh, I thought you were kidding about the love beads. But it actually is all love beads for some odd reason. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Re: Astral Weeks. This will give me an excuse to finally buy it on CD but, yet again (drum roll please...), another wasted opportunity judging by the comments above stating what isn't there.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I suspect that the problem is either missing tapes or rights issues. There was supposed to be a half-hour blues-type thing about trains as well, with just Van and Jay Berliner.

dino77 likes this.
  3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Someone earlier in the thread remarked that Van "had to allow" Warners to release the expanded Moondance as part of the deal that will eventually see the rights revert back to him. Maybe that's the case with Astral Weeks and the others as well. Maybe Warners is getting one last chance to milk the "cow-ta-log.".

If true, perhaps we'll see more thorough explorations of his earlier albums.

4. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Two of my least favorite Van albums from that era, so I will pass on both.

5. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Considering that his catalog has been milked the least of anyone of his stature, by far, I say, let the milking commence!

Musicisthebest, lbangs and Maggie like this.
  6. stem

stem Forum Resident

dee, supermd and JeffMo like this.
  7. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Judging by the offerings in the Pono store, I believe that Into the Music, Common One, and Inarticulate Speech of the Heart are still controlled by Warner Bros. in the US. Into the Music is MIA while Common One and Inarticulate Speech are missing the bonus tracks from the '08 remasters.

8. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

What a mess Van has made of his catalog.

Lost In The Flood and PROG U.K. like this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Dang :shake:

10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Any 5.1 remixes?

11. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Unlikely. I think that the 5.1 remix on the Moondance set was prepared by Elliot Scheiner back in the early '00s for an aborted DVD-A release. As far as I can tell, no 5.1 mix was ever prepared for Astral Weeks and Street Choir.

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Thanks. Then it's likely I will pass on these...

13. LOVED listening to this entire interview. Not sure if 'Ive ever actually heard one with him.
    yeah yeah yeah yeah-yah yeah -yeah-yeah-yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah-yeah yeah yeah-yeah-yeah......

Saw him perform several times back in the day when he lived in Marin County. And when I was a rep for ABC records, one of my accounts was the record shop he bought for his parent named Caledonia Music in San Anselmo. He parents were a wonderful old Irish couple.

Rickchick, MMM, Guy E and 2 others like this.
  14. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

JeffMo likes this.
  15. dee

dee Senior Member

At $6.99 a pop that's just too good a price to pas up to fill a few missing titles. I don't have a few of the late 70's and early 80's albums.

16. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

From iTunes, you mean? That's what I'm thinking as well. I may spring for Hard Nose The Highway through Pono, since that's $9.99 for 16/44 instead of $6.99 for 256kbps AAC.

Oh, A Period of Transition and St. Dominic's Preview are $7.99 on Pono! 16/44 as well.

JeffMo and dee like this.
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

Yeah, just downloaded Beautiful Vision :).

18. dee

dee Senior Member

Transition is a skimpy $5.99 at iTunes. Nice price. Samples sound nice to me.
    I may hold off on HNTH until the deluxe release.

19. Merrick

I went a little nuts on iTunes, grabbed eight albums, a mix of stuff from the '80s-'00s.

I also ordered the three I mentioned off Pono.

Listening to Common One now, it sounds quite good on my home system. Going to have to take the headphones to some of these later.

JeffMo and dee like this.
  20. dee

dee Senior Member

Damn muted trumpet? in Spirit though. Man that's an unpleasant sound to my ears.

21. Merrick

I haven't listened to Common One in years. Did that muted trumpet sound different on previous releases?

22. dee

dee Senior Member

I imagine probably not. I could give the previously mastered Common One download a listen.

23. Merrick

Meanwhile, I was foolish to have waited so long to relisten to this album. It's like Listen to the Lion stretched out over a full album. Love it.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Into The Music is on Pono now, but it is the 1979 WB version.

25. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I'm listening to my original CD issue of His Band & The Street Choir on headphones right now and damn, I'll Be Your Lover, Too is a needle-drop! I swear it. Is this a well-known factoid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.