Ripper Street

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by winojunko76, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I watched Seasons 1 and 2 but couldn't really get into it - I just dislike the actor of the main character, it's hard to explain, but most of those supposedly good BBC Series I really can't get into - well apart from "Life on Mars" that is ...... now my hopes rest on "Peaky Blinders" - maybe I can get into that one ?

2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

its a great show ! I just seen it had been renewed for season 4 & 5 on amazon! WOW I was not expecting that !

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm almost through season 1 and it is pretty good. Some familiar faces: Matthew Macfadyen from Spooks - he's got such a commanding screen presence that he could be reading a phone book and he'd hold your interest , and Jerome Flynn (Game Of Thrones) who's craggy visage is perfectly suited to Dickensian London.

Love the use of period words and phrases and new fangled technology like moving pictures and telegraphy!

Larry Mc likes this.
  4. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I didn't make it through two episodes of Peaky Blinder. Did it get any better?

5. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I didn't start yet ......

6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just started watching this on Netflix this week! So far I'd rate it good/very good. The last episode I saw was the one with the guy from GOT who plays Jorah Mormont as Jerome Flynt's (Bronn) ex military commander. Where Flynt's marriage proposal to a prostitute was turned down. Thought the final scene with the releasing of the lovebirds was well done. I'm a big fan of these 'period' shows/movies. Peaky Blinders grew on me. Copper wasn't bad. Still waiting for excellence though!;). The previous comments about season 2 are giving me some hope. 'Sfunny, I've had RS in my Netflix cue for months but never got around to it, BUT I've DVR'ed season 3 (6 ep. so far!) so I've got plenty of Ripper Street in my future! Favorite BBCA shows for me, rivaling anything done by HBO, Shotime, Starz, and Cinemax, are Luther and Orphan Black. Talk about must-see TV!!

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought the first season was very good, but it actually gets better and better in season 2.

8. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Elephant man

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, the show is very good that way. They interweave real historical events (not just Jack The Ripper) but people like (as you say) Joseph Merrick, who appears in several episodes and is the subject of a particularly good episode, but also things like the AC vs DC wars, the rise of forensic techniques, police procedures, industrialization, etc. And it's all done in a believable and entertaining way.

smilin ed and Larry Mc like this.
  10. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

Wish the BBC would hurry up and show series three!

11. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I just finished Season 3 and it seemed to wrap up a lot of things, are you sure there are 2 more seasons?
    I hope there is, season 3 was great, I don't see how season 4 or 5 could be anything but great too. Great acting and writing.
    I love this show, so does my wife.

MoonPool likes this.
  12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

SomeCallMeTim and Larry Mc like this.
  13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Season 3 just started on the BBC - on a Friday night. I would have thought a lot of its demographic wouldn't be in front of the TV that night, Can't help think the BBC are trying to say - "See, we were right."

They're wrong of course. I'm really enjoying it.

zobalob likes this.
  14. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I found Peaky Blinders tough going for the first few episodes. Just couldn't get into it. It takes off eventually though and is very enjoyable.

Coricama likes this.
  15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Is it no longer available on Netflix?

16. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Just seen the first two episodes of the 3rd series of 'Ripper Street'. Never seen anything as powerful on British tv. Gob-smacked. Where they're going, there's no coming back from.

17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

fitzysbuna likes this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm a big fan of the series and glad to see that it back on the beeb.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

There was some kind of shake-up between seasons 2 & 3, resulting in different people behind the scenes. While I liked season 3, I think 1 & 2 are much better.

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Just watched the second episode in season 3 and... don't know what to say. Talk about dark. Best season yet, for me.

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Four episodes into series 3 and this is great stuff.

22. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Took a little while to take to it mainly because the script but once I did take to it I just love it.

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just started watching Peaky Blinders and enjoying it very much. Just wish they had used period music (like Boardwalk Empire) rather than modern stuff. Particularly can't stand hearing so much White Stripes(at least on the earlier episodes).

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ripper Street series 4 will kick off on Amazon Prime on Friday the 15th of January 2016, with a feature length episode. From there, a new episode will be added to the streaming service every Friday. The series will have the usual 8 episodes.

Can't wait!

25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Started watching this on Prime after my parents recommended it. We are now halfway through season 4 and really enjoy it. A few things make your eyes roll but when it happens its done with almost a wink to the camera kind of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.