The Who - New Box Set for 2015?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marc with a c, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misko

misko Forum Resident

Moreover, the 4Reel DVD had some nice extras like Pontiac. No doubt the boot lessened the impact of the Houston gig. Every serious Who fan probably had a copy of the 4Reel disc. Its one of the best Who boots ever. I 've also noticed some new and interesting videos popping up on YouTube that were not on Purple Hearts and Power Chords which merit official release.

slipkid and WhoTapes1 like this.
  2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

RE: My Generation- Reeling in the years video- posted earlier in the thread.

Note that Sony paid to license one of the bonus clips from Reeling In The Years and another from Dick Clark Productions - Lambert and Stamp Blu Ray.

3. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Sony..........not The Who/Universal.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  4. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

What sort of things not on purple hearts have you been seeing?

5. misko

misko Forum Resident

Recent posts of The Who live in 1966. When I say recent I mean the last few days. I am not Mr. Tech otherwise I would post.

6. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's ridiculous: I daydream about what could be on the set all of the time, but I also have that fear that the build up and anticipation could dwarf whatever we actually end up getting.

Now, assuming it's mostly audio with a bonus DVD/blu-ray thrown in, I'm assuming it'll be something pretty career-spanning. I want to hope for a bunch of complete live shows, but due to some of the language used by those in-the-know on the official board, I think it's unlikely: wordings like "not all of the tracks have been selected" tell me that it's going to be bits of a lot of things.

Now, it wouldn't make sense for them to do another "30 Years" style box - mixing the classic versions of the hits with some rarities and live cuts. We just got "Hits 50", so the casual fan is more than covered.

So, this has left me to assume that we are in for something closer to a career retrospective that "fills in the gaps". We've already gotten practical confirmation that the live High Numbers stuff will find its way onboard, so I'm imagining that we can look forward to something that appears to be comprehensive so that the layman will be excited by the track list, but will instead include alternate renditions that aren't quite as common. For example: instead of the expected version of "I Can See For Miles"? We'd get the less-common 7" mix.

Of course, that could all be a pipe dream. They've recently put out those very nice sounding HDTracks transfers, and I can't imagine that those will be ignored for a new physical release. But also? Those were missing a number of expected bonus tracks, almost as if they were being held back for something else...

Of course, we are running wild with speculation, but the official sources haven't given any indication that it'll ALL be unreleased (at least officially) material. Could be a combination of all of everything - but I'm leaning toward thinking that this may be something along the lines of The Beatles Anthology, padded with some slightly more common material.

Because, let's face it: few people are buying "best of" physical box sets nowadays, and we just had a double disc of hits under this campaign.

I'd likely trade all of what they are working on for a complete SF '71 done as well as the latest Leeds remaster, though, haha.

Who'sTommy likes this.
  7. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Nice idea to have a 'filling in the gaps' box,but are the compilers aware [informed enough!] of all the varying mixes/edits made over the years?

marc with a c and WhoTapes1 like this.
  8. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

They are, but happily choose to ignore detail that comes from anywhere outside of the people Trinifold choose to trust. There'll be the usual lack of attention paid to this in the same way that allowed the mistakes from the original box and the subsequent re-issue program to occur.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

could we please have a more detailed run down of the bonus features for those thinking of purchasing it.
    are the 2 youtube videos I linked indeed silent?
    is Finland complete?
    etc.etc.
    thanks.

dee likes this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

Times approximate...

Finland 8:20 off stage
    0:30 taking the stage
    BW

Call Me Lightning archival Color
    silent 2:00

Where The Action Is
    Silent BW 0:40 at intro and outro combined
    Audio BW 4:40
    Pete talking a lot, full band present.
    Roger speaks a lot. Keith. Interview interspersed maybe 5 times with BW very short performance video.

1967 promo film BW silent
    1:50

All in all about 18 min of footage of the band. Nearly all of it offstage.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Quadboy and WhoTapes1 like this.
  11. dee

dee Senior Member

I enjoyed Henry Rollins interview.

"There's a lot that's not in the film" via Cooper. Re: parts of the story, not necessarily footage.

Rollins saw the movie 3 times. Seems to know more about the movie than Cooper ;). Well done Henry.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  12. dee

dee Senior Member

Any idea what month when Where The Action Is 1966 interview was filmed? Or the month of the 1967 footage?

13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

According to the AAA book [Action] was filmed on March 18th 1966.
    episode/airing info can be found here..........Warning........it's a very large page!
    http://www.tv.com/shows/where-the-action-is/episodes/
    The Who appear on episode's 175 and 206.

A busy day for them as they also performed on RSG in the evening and then played a concert in Basildon.

dee likes this.
  14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

it's disappointing when they can't put appropriate music onto the silent footage.
    it makes me wonder if it was a legal issue within the Spirit deal.

dee likes this.
  15. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

I bought the itunes edition as the blu ray isn't out in the UK. Fuming that the extras can only be streamed and don't download as mp4 files like the movie!! Still nice footage though!

Quadboy likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And that is what we really need.

marc with a c and WhoTapes1 like this.
  17. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

all I could find in AAA are that there were 2 instances of filming of unspecified footage during 1967.
    the first was Promotional films of The Who and Hendrix aired at the Track Records launch party March 16th.........but in colour?
    and footage from Top Of The Pops miming to ICSFM aired December 25th,.taped December 16th.
    Plus it states from the same show:
    "The group were also glimpsed in a year end survey,via silent film supplied by Filmfinders."

dee likes this.
  18. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I've lost track of the contents in this massive thread.

So, is there a box set in the works for release in November or is that turning out to be speculation or rumor or flat bull schisse?

19. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Until we hear something official, no one here really has a clue.

20. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was confirmed that they were aiming to make a box set by the end of 2015 on the official board. Anything beyond that is speculation right now, sadly.

21. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Much appreciated, folks. Figured that was the case since this thread's jumped all over the place.

22. Boris number 9

Hey September now, they gotta announce something soon. The webmaster on the official website said there is a career spanning box set scheduled for Nov 2015. He said that as absolute fact not speculation. He oughta know because he's designed many of the Who album covers and corresponds with the Who and presumably Curbishly

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Definitely.

24. Boris number 9

Yeah I see your point. But seriously if the release is in say 60-70 days wouldn't they make some announcement pretty soon?

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nobody here knows or is willing to share. When that changes I'm sure we'll find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.