New Faces box due August 28

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Big Guy, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

for that, i'm standing by! in the meantime, i've had a go with the warner archives issue of 'long player' to check 'bad 'n' ruin'. i don't hear what i'd call any undue distortion. :shrug:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  2. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Maaaan, I hate Fedex. My vinyl box is in town, but it's "not due for delivery" so they're not delivering it until Monday. I have an early US copy (olive label WB, at least) of A Nod is As Good as a Wink that sounds great (albeit noisy). I can compare the two on Monday.

3. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I was about to do "Flying" until I realized that the original First Step mix, Good Boys When They're Asleep and Five Guys Walk Into A Bar are all three different mixes. The Five Guys one is the best. No fade-up, no "ping-pong" panning, everything is consistent. It also doesn't seem to have that "murky" quality that much of the First Step album has.

The experiment is the same. On top is the 1993 Warner Archives version (possibly a flat transfer?), beneath it is Good Boys When They're Asleep, beneath that is Five Guys Walk Into A Bar and last is the new box

First is "Three Button Hand Me Down"
    [​IMG]

Next is "Had Me A Real Good Time"
    [​IMG]

Third is "Too Bad"
    [​IMG]

Last is "Ooh La La"
    [​IMG]

It appears that the 1993 files appear to be quieter, and therefore must be flatter transfers. In any case, please discuss! That's why I posted these

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    Dino, dee and broshfab4 like this.
  4. Long Player. Happy Friday everyone... :tiphat:

[​IMG]

sberger, DeRosa and dee like this.
  5. dee

dee Senior Member

Look forward to it.

I'm interested in reading about fans breaking down the bonus tracks. And how they compare, if they do, if included on previous releases?

I had heard Behind The Sun before but only in passing, and listening to the samples now, what a slammin' tune. Mona sounds like it will be a Ronnie Wood special. Flying sounds more distinctive and the vocals and words more clearly audible to me. I think Rod either sounds in better voice than the lp version in the samples I am hearing or the audio is just less congested, or both. Nobody Knows is about thirty seconds longer than the lp version.

Whole Lotta Woman sounds like a whole lotta fun. Tell Everyone has a neat surprise. Sham-Mozzal sounds like another fun instrumental. Anyway, liking the bonus tracks but looking forward to reading more about them from some of the Faces experts on the forum.

Looks like the BBC tracks are only available as part of the album purchase.

Look forward to reading more about the musical content in this set over the next few days.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

How do the sleeves look? Are they real mini lp sleeves or are they the usual poor square sleeves of the recent boxes?

7. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

I'm waiting for my vinyl box from Amazon UK but the autorip download was available today and it's the full CD set.

8. KinkySmallFace1991

9. KinkySmallFace1991

The poor square sleeves. Like I said, if Ian McLagan were still alive, I don't think he'd be very happy about the presentation. Just as skimpy and weenie as it was in 1993!

By the way, if anyone takes a look on the iTunes, Woody's first two albums have been released concurrently with this box and sound like they were remastered pretty similarly to this set.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

KinkySmallFace1991...I was about to do "Flying" until I realized that the original First Step mix, Good Boys When They're Asleep and Five Guys Walk Into A Bar are all three different mixes. The Five Guys one is the best. No fade-up, no "ping-pong" panning, everything is consistent. It also doesn't seem to have that "murky" quality that much of the First Step album has.

3 different mixes of the same take? Plus there's the Flying rehearsal take on 5 Guys? Now this different take bonus track (which I am really liking!)? That's all of 'em?

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Interesting about Woody's album's. Always liked I've Got My Own Album To Do.

Received a mail from amazon.uk today that my cd set is on the way. Very much looking forward to it. Disappointing to hear the packaging is minimal but the music is number one for me. Sold my old cd's years back and had to make do with the boxset since then. Already have the vinyl including nice originals of Long Player and Nod's with a poster. Cd is what I'm after along with the extra's.

12. KinkySmallFace1991

It appears that way. The "Flying" on Five Guys is actually a BBC Session. So, in all, we have three versions of "Flying", and three mixes of the same take. That's it...unless you count Woody's solo version from his Slide On This Live album.

Hep Alien and dee like this.
  13. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

I think we'll see these cds in shm mini lp sleeves with a usual japanese quality.....

14. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Thankfully I bought the mini lp cds from Japan when they came out.
    I was ready to pull the trigger for bonus trax but will pass.
    Thanks for all the info.

15. KinkySmallFace1991

The bonus tracks are really good. The mastering, while not PERFECT, isn't as terrible, as say...the Sticky Fingers Deluxe from June. What you could do is put the new discs in to the mini-LP sleeves. Then you'll have the PROPER way this box SHOULD have been done!

16. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

You wrote: I do not think he would not be happy about the presenation of the CDs! "

:)

17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Remind me what that is?

18. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

:righton:

19. Further

Further Forum Resident

Hopefully, someone gives a good review of the LP box soon.

Amazon Italy hasn't shipped my order yet and I'm trying to decide whether to just cancel and order closer to home for just a little more. I'm also hoping the LP set gets better reviews than what we've heard about the CD's so far!

20. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

The bonus tracks are pretty great [for First Step especially, although I can think of better ones they could've chosen for Ooh La La], I have absolutely no problems with those.
    I've only heard these CDs on my laptop so far, so I'm reserving final judgement on the sonic issues I've raised so far until I get home in a few days and hear them on my system. I've now listened to Nod, and there are some issues there, too - the odd crackle and pop. It's rare for my laptop to make anything sound crappy, however, so I may have been unlucky enough that my set may actually be defective...

It's getting mixed reviews so far [yeah all two of them] on Amazon.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

My LP box just came today and I have a lot more listening to do this weekend but this afternoon I really enjoyed Ooh La-La. I thought it sounded very good and got even better with more volume. It is kind of amazing the lengths they went to to reproduce the covers and art work on these. It could certainly have been done more easily and cheaply.

22. KinkySmallFace1991

So THAT'S why the CDs were so skimpy! They blew the budget on the LPs! DARN IT!!! :realmad: :p :laugh:

23. It's what I see before I play Long Player. I can decide how it sounds without listening to it. :tiphat:

sberger and sonofjim like this.
  24. dee

dee Senior Member

Nobody Knows Take 2 bonus track quite different mix also to the lp version.
    What I like about Flying (Take 3) bonus track is in the sound and style of it I can really imagine it on the Rod Stewart Album!

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. KinkySmallFace1991

That's because "Nobody Knows" is a different TAKE or version. More piano-oriented, and you don't have the second lead vocal from Laneole.

Hep Alien and dee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.